Freezing Cakes?

Decorating By Angelgirl Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 7:06pm by cakebaker1957

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 5

I live in CO without air conditioning, and let me just say that baking in the heat wave we have had the last few weeks is NOT an option. We don't even turn on the stove if we can help it, haha.

I am making a tiered cake for a coworker's birthday in 9 days. It is cooler today but is supposed to shoot back into the 90's tomorrow and all week. Can I bake the cakes and freeze them until I'm ready to decorate next weekend? I've never frozen cakes before, so I need very detailed instructions on this if it is possible!

Thanks!

4 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, you can bake now and freeze. Bake your cakes, cool as normal, then when the cakes are room temperature, wrap in at least one layer of plastic wrap or, my favorite, Glad Press'n'Seal. Then wrap in at least one layer of aluminum foil. The more layers you have around the cake, the better it's protected from freezer funk smell.

The night before you are going to decorate, take them out of the freezer and set them on the counter STILL WRAPPED and let them defrost overnight. The condensation will collect on the outside of the foil, and your cakes will be protected. In the morning they will be ready to decorate! icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, just like kelleym said! I freeze cakes alot b/c I have a full-time job. Sometimes I wrap in plastic then put in those large ziptop freezer bags. Don't take the cakes out of the wrappings until they have completely thawed and they'll be fine!

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 5

It sure as heck has been hot here huh! I wrap my cakes the same way as the pp, then I put my crumb coat on while it is still frozen, than I let the cakes come to room temperature before I put on my final coat. You might also want to check out the Humidity buttercream especially if you can't get you cakes into the fridge, so you don't have to worry about them melting. Here is the link:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbitfroggie

It sure as heck has been hot here huh! I wrap my cakes the same way as the pp, then I put my crumb coat on while it is still frozen, than I let the cakes come to room temperature before I put on my final coat. You might also want to check out the Humidity buttercream especially if you can't get you cakes into the fridge, so you don't have to worry about them melting. Here is the link:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

Hi ribbitfroggie, have u every did the crumb coat and the icing in the middle and went ahead and stacked them then freeze them? I have a birthday cake i need to do for Saturday and someone said its easier if you go ahead and frost between the layers crumb coat them then freeze??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%