How To Get Sides Of Fondant Cake Smooth??

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 9:44pm by cakesunlimited

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 15

I attempted my first fondant covered cake today...it was pretty much a disaster. icon_mad.gif Pic is in my photos...pink with yellow roses. Hard to see the sides in that picture though.

What is the secret to getting the sides of your cake smooth, without folds of fondant?? I don't get it!!

Also, how thick should the fondant be?? I used MMF.

thanks!

14 replies
cakesunlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesunlimited Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 12:00am
post #2 of 15

Hi
Looks pretty smooth to me.

Your fondant should be about 1/4" thick - roll out on icing sugar[confectioners sugar] rather than cornflour as this dries it out.
Flip it over a rolling pin or poster tube and place over cake.
If you don't have a smoother take a ball of the sugarpaste, dip it in the icing sugar and use this to smooth the fondant. I use this method on all of my cakes. And because you are dipping it into icing sugar it fills in any little cracks too.

Kate714 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 12:05am
post #3 of 15

thank you...I do have a smoother, but will that get rid of the "extra" on the sides? not sure if I'm explaining it right.

Is corn flour the same thing as corn starch?? I used both powdered sugar and corn starch and I got some cracks in it...maybe because of the corn starch.

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 12:15am
post #4 of 15

I have forever had problems with the "extra" and "folds" exactly like you describe.
My wilton instructor told us to roll our fondant out WAAY too thin. She told us to roll until you can see the print on the rolling mat through the fondant. I tried again with the fondant about 1/4 inch thick and it was much better.
I would suggest watching the tutorial for icing your cake at http://www.atecousa.net/learn
It actually helped quite a bit. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Kate714 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 12:30am
post #5 of 15

wow, that guy has no folds!! great tutorial...thank you. Is there supposed to be volume on those tutorials? they're obviously talking but that's the 2nd one I've seen on that site and I couldn't get volume.

thanks so much.

lilypie Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 12:33am
post #6 of 15

mine had volume.

Must be you icon_lol.gif jk

Kate714 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 3:09am
post #7 of 15

icon_mad.gif DH just looked at the computer and does not know why it doesn't have volume...he'll have to take a look again another time. Does he explain what he's doing to get rid of the extra in that part when he comes across what could be a fold??

thanks!!!

lilypie Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 15

Well, he explains that you should always smooth down, not sideways so it won't fold... there's more, but i would have to watch it again... maybe i can make a transcript or something...

cakesunlimited Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:17am
post #9 of 15

I will try to do a how to some time this week but you could do to watch a video. I will try to use my video camera but not sue how I would upload it for you. If anyone can tell me how to do that I will.
Or maybe I keep the video on my computer and give you a link??

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:26am
post #10 of 15

From what I understand....the Fondant is quite heavy and you cannot overload the cake with filling or it will squish out. icon_eek.gif

cakes..if you do a tutorial show us how much filling you put in the cake.

Alot I have seen put a smear of jam or jelly and that is it. Or a very thin coating of BC.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:29am
post #11 of 15

I gently lift and smooth down when I cover my cakes. I invested in ANOTHER smoother (they're only like, $4 at walmart) for larger cakes. I've found that the more practice I get, the better my cakes get. I still get some pleating and ruffles at the bottom every now and then, but I've been lucky and been able to cover those mishaps with parts of the design. icon_razz.gif

Actually, your smoothing doesn't look that bad. I saw a little bulging down at the bottom, but I think you just need to push it down more as smoothing. I gently ease mine down the sides...if that makes sense.

aggiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiedecorator Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:35am
post #12 of 15

The volume was very low on my computer too. It's not just you. This is a great tutprial, I'm glad you asked!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:46am
post #13 of 15

I can't get that tutorial to load but....

what I do is lift the cake up on something tall -like a large coffee can. do an initial trim, smooth down and trim untill right.

the mmf tutorial on this site is really good for fondant too and the same technique works good for square cakes too , I just kinda lift the corner out and down gently and smooth across.

Once i raised the cake so the fondant hung down I had much fewer issues !

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:48am
post #14 of 15

I was once told you could also use a sponge to press down the sides smooth. It works great on corners of square cakes too.

Joanne

cakesunlimited Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:44pm
post #15 of 15

Just watched that video and that is exactly how I do mine. I tried with my video but don't know how to upload a video.

The only other tip I would add to that is if you have any little airbubbles use a very fine sterilised needle to price them and then use a piece of sugarpaste in your hand and dip into icing sugar and then gently rub in a circular motion over the cake - I finish smoothing all of my cakes this way and the icing sugar fills in any little cracks at the same time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%