Best Cooling Rack For Cakes

Decorating By emie Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 12:57am by GarfieldOne

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 10

In your opinion which rack is the best? Some are too lt wt. and sag in the middle, some don't seem to be big enough. Thanks.

9 replies
rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 10

Some people don't use cooling racks at all! Once they take the cake out of the pan they wrap it up and stick it in the freezer for added moisture. to answer your question... Are you talking about the weight of the rack or how far apart the metal is spaced? Was not sure I understood.

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:00am
post #3 of 10

I haven't been using a rack for cakes but no matter what I do or wrap the layers in b/4 freezing when I thaw the top is always stuck. I was thinking about a heavy wire rack with close woven wire but not sure which one. The metal on the racks I use for cooling cookies is too far apart for cakes. Thanks for your reply.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:52am
post #4 of 10

I use a pampered chef cooling rack. It works great with 8-10" cakes. Not bigger ones. I have been looking for a large cooling rack but haven't found one to match what I want.

Jennifer

3beattieboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3beattieboys Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:56am
post #5 of 10

I use the pampered chef one too....I like that it is solid and is about four inches off the counter. It makes cooling the underside faster without getting sweaty counters!!!

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:25am
post #6 of 10

What about using an oven rack? If you could spare one from your oven or find an old one at a garage sale, second hand store..??? Wire rack from a refrig. or freezer??

flameon58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flameon58 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 10

Sugarspice, I'm thinking that the oven rack would be spaced too far apart. Unless you didn't take the cake out of the pans. I like the frugal thinking though. I have a tiered set that I got from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I want something that is spaced closer than that. I think that I saw a rack that was more of a grid. I like that idea but don't know where I saw it.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 10

I think a cooling grid would work best. I have one of these and I love it. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFN9D/?tag=cakecentral-20
I'd love to buy more of them if I could. I look for ones that are large, have at least 2 reinforcement wires running down them and those wires have to have the feet, other wise the wires don't reinforce very well.
All my cooling racks are actually cooling grids. Just Google "cooling grid".

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 10

Oh, sure I can see those wouldn't work for taking the cake out of the pan! The cooling grid looks great!

GarfieldOne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarfieldOne Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:57am
post #10 of 10

Well FantasyArt and I use the cooling grisd shown above. We own 8 or 10 of those. They work great because you can use singles, double them up side by side and such depending on the size of the cake. You can get them at walmart and such places and they are like $6 a pair or less. Most are non-stick also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%