Why Must They.....

Decorating By hockeygirl658 Updated 24 Sep 2006 , 7:02pm by peacockplace

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 32

choose such ugly toppers for their cakes? Now this is a generalization, but I always feel a little sad and quite frankly, a little irritated (at the bride) when I see such BEAUTIFUL cakes on here with horrible toppers on them! In particular, those awful 'brides dragging the groom to the alter' toppers.

Why, oh why, would you pay good money for an AMAZING cake, only to stick something like this on top?

I guess to each his own, but seriously.

31 replies
knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 32

Yeah...I don't exactly get the rationale either, but...whatever!

I can only imagine how they're gonna feel in 15 years, looking back on pics of their cake--wow. icon_confused.gif

--Knox--

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 32

You are not alone. I feel the same way.
As a matter of fact; my 13 yr old said that is so disrespectful to the groom. If the bride has to drag the groom to the alter then they will not have much of a marriage. What happened to the romantic toppers to show how much you love the other person; not how much you can control the other person.

carilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carilyn Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 32

Yeah, to each her own. That is one of my favorite toppers. LOL icon_redface.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 32

personally I am all for NO toppers....I really dont like many of them at all. I love the look of fresh flowers (so I guess that is the topper lol).....that is what I chose for my wedding cake and I thought it did the cake justice.

hockeygirl658 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

As a matter of fact; my 13 yr old said that is so disrespectful to the groom. If the bride has to drag the groom to the alter then they will not have much of a marriage. What happened to the romantic toppers to show how much you love the other person; not how much you can control the other person.

I totaly agree.

Quote:
Quote:

I love the look of fresh flowers

Always a great choice...IMHO icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, to each her own. That is one of my favorite toppers.

Oh I hope you don't feel like I was picking on you! icon_redface.gif I just don't get it, personally. But that is just me.

hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 32

As I remind my husband who also owns his own business....

It is not our place to ask why or judge why someone chooses one thing over another. We don't know their thought processes or any meaning there may be behind what they choose.

As own of "those" brides, I had that cake topper (the one with the brdige dragging the groom) on one of my cakes. It was a joke that everyone who attended our wedding knew- My husband said (many years ago) the only way he was ever getting married again was if the woman drug him to the alter.

So lets try to be compassionate with our customers and not simply jump to conclusions.

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 32

Or even worse when the topper totatlly doesn't match the cake. I did a cake about a year ago and the bride specifically stated white frosting. I went to the trouble of making sure the icing was bright white. I showed up, set up the cake and took the topper she had purchased out of the box and it was ecru!! I could have died. I don't include that pic in my album because people always assume the decorator did it. I know the cake was beautiful because the bride's father gave me a 25 dollar tip on top of all the delivery charges, etc.

lesliee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesliee Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 32

My daughter got married in May, and when we were shopping for wedding gear, I saw that toppper and said to her, "Why would anyone want THAT on their wedding cake?" She said, "Oh, Ma, those are just for bachelor party cakes." Was she ever wrong!

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandrascakes

Or even worse when the topper totatlly doesn't match the cake. I did a cake about a year ago and the bride specifically stated white frosting. I went to the trouble of making sure the icing was bright white. I showed up, set up the cake and took the topper she had purchased out of the box and it was ecru!! I could have died. I don't include that pic in my album because people always assume the decorator did it. I know the cake was beautiful because the bride's father gave me a 25 dollar tip on top of all the delivery charges, etc.

Yeah, this doesn't make any sense to me. "Tradition" was a BIG part of my wedding. I wanted a "white" wedding but because I also wanted to wear a rhinestone headband my grandmother wore on her wedding day, I went with off-white for a more 'antique' look. My cake topper was the one my parents had on their wedding cake so of course it was discolored. I went with off-white icing so the topper wouldn't look out of place.

If she knew the topper was Ecru, WHY insist on a WHITE cake? <shakes head>

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 32

I get a kick out of some of those "Funny" toppers . . . like the groom standing next to the bride with a ball and chain on his ankle. My honey and I tend to make a joke of almost everything--in a good way--and since we aren't having a fussy, over-planned wedding we were even looking at those toppers. I figure if you can't have a sense of humor on your wedding day, the outlook for a good marriage isn't so great. (Although, to be fair, I think we are going to have one of those pretty monograms made . . . just cause I love the way they look!)

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 32

How boring life would be if we all liked the same things. I think the topper is funny. I doubt anybody uses it to advertise they had to drag their partner to the alter!!

cake2decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake2decorate Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 32

Isn't is strange how some people are? I always feel better seeing al of the cake elements before I deliver the cake.... you never know if people have even looked at the colors, and we all know who gets blamed when things don't match tapedshut.gif

LilBlackSheep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilBlackSheep Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 8:19pm
post #14 of 32

We will never know why bride's choose particular toppers. Could be that it has a significance, sentimental value or they actually like it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. icon_smile.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 32

I have to admit I love that kind of toppers. Here they are usually placed on the grooms cakes. My son wants one on his. It is a BIG family joke that it is the other way around. I was the one kicking and "screaming" to the alter. It was my second marriage and my husband (not then) told me we were getting married. We have been married 22 years this year. So the bride dragging or pulling the groom is a big family joke here. You have to KNOW the rest of the story when it comes to those types of toppers.

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 8:25pm
post #16 of 32

That is why we have freedom of choice - if everyone liked and agreed upon the same thing this world would be incredibly boring

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 8:28pm
post #17 of 32

that is true debiashwood....and I think they are funny...but that said, I think I would be disappointed if I made a really nice wedding cake for someone and they sat it on top...I guess I am too traditional or something...I like the idea of having it on the grooms cake...

but this is truly another case of 'to each their own'.... I think its funny (I dont agree that its disrespectful) I am just not a huge fan of cake toppers period (except as stated before fresh flowers).

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:15pm
post #18 of 32

I've been wondering lately myself actually why there aren't better toppers out there. I'm sure this has to do with "my style" of things that I like, but honestly, right now, I do not see any toppers out there that I would put on my own cake. I'm a big fan of the monograms and flower toppers, but believe there should be a wider range of styles of toppers available.

So you have those plastic and porcelin people, old style and new style, like the silly one at the top of this thread. I've only found ONE lone simple, more elegant topper that could compliment many of the more contemporary cake designs that are popular these days, and it's still a little bit of an "80s elegance" design.

It would be great if, say, Wilton could come up with some affordable updated toppers.

And don't even let me get started on those plactic bells ... LOL.

Just my opinion and taste, but so much of what's out now still seems very out-of date.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:29pm
post #19 of 32

I always ask Brides to provide me with the topper they will use on their cake. That way I can plan for whatever they choose.

chenson4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chenson4 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:36pm
post #20 of 32

When I got married 3 years ago, I could NOT find a cake topper that was "perfect", so I went with fresh flowers...they were beautiful!

On the other hand...the groom's cake had a large plastic ball and chain and a cake topper similar to the one on the first comment...mine was the groom trying to run away and the bride had him by the shirt! Everyone loved it. It totally fit us...(took him 5 years to propose...granted we were in high school for 2 of those years..but still...) icon_lol.gif

I think it looks great for any cake in the right situation. icon_razz.gif
---nina---

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:44pm
post #21 of 32

Funny this topic should come up - my husband and I had a big fight the night before our wedding over the cake and in particular the topper. My DH made the cake (he's a chef) and didn't start it until the last minute (arghh!! - that alone drove me nuts I was out getting extra supplies at 9.30pm the night before my wedding) and he wanted to put a plastic bride and groom on top that I thought looked really tacky and absolutely hated.

In the end I decided it was only a topper and there was more to the wedding than the topper and the cake so I let it go. I am happy to say that we celebrated our 5 th anniversary this year icon_smile.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:57pm
post #22 of 32

I think sometimes people don't realize that they don't have to look for cake toppers, specifically. They can use anything on top of a cake. Ornaments, foliage, flowers, candles, figurines, crystal shapes, frames, jewels, pulled sugar, etc. It just takes some creativity.

You never know why the bride choses the topper that she does. Just work with it. Besides, you can take a picture of the cake before the topper goes on if it really clashes with the design of the cake.

Those toppers don't bother me so much, personally.

Angie

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 4:52am
post #23 of 32

I saw one of those Bride-dragging-groom toppers on a topsy-turvy cake once. He was falling off the top tier, and she was dragging him from the brink of doom!!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 4:57am
post #24 of 32

Found it!
LL
LL

hockeygirl658 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 5:12am
post #25 of 32

Okay, I have to say that those are actually hillarious sliding off the cake!

Still not my taste, but I have enjoyed reading everyones perspective on toppers. I agree that the choices for toppers out there seems to be limited. I searched FOREVER for the one I used on our cake. It wasn't a 'topper' per se, but it was perfect for us. Which is all that really matters.

Everyone should have a topper that is perfect for them! Weather I 'get it' or not! icon_wink.gif Although when I do get around to making my first wedding cake I am going to insist on seeing it first so the bride and I can design the cake together. No matter what she decides to put on top of the cake, I want it to match!

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 5:14am
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas2babies

They can use anything on top of a cake. Ornaments, foliage, flowers, candles, figurines, crystal shapes, frames, jewels, pulled sugar, etc. It just takes some creativity.

Angie

You are so right, Angie. I had a wedding cake not too long ago for a couple who had known each other 47 years and were finally getting married. Their wedding was on her parents' 65th anniversary, so she wanted to represent that, too. The cake was designed to look like it was water, and had lake greasses, etc. Bride went to a local outdoor store and found a figurine of two bears in a motorboat. The name of the boat was "Life is Good" and we put a veil and mini silk bouquet on one bear and a boutonniere on the other. We then put two lifesavers candies with the bride & groom's names on one and her parents' names on the other, laying next to the boat topper. Surrounding the base of the cake were inexpensive bobbers and lures (minus the hooks, of course). The cake was really well-received. I like to tell my Clients to "think outside the box" for their topper. It makes the cake more personal for them.

To see a picture of this cake, check the gallery. (keywords: LIFE IS GOOD).

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 5:18am
post #27 of 32

When I worked at a wedding cake shop, I decided to start making my own toppers to sell to brides that were specifically made for their cakes. I, too thought that a last minute choice of plastic people ruined the look of the cake. I once did a western wedding cake and the couple wanted a pair of his and hers outhouses on top. I crafted them out of wood and dried flowers. Funny and way untraditional, but it went so perfect with the cake. I also did a sand castle wedding cake with the top tier looking like a sky with clouds and the topper I made was a couple in an airplane with their names on a banner behind the plane. The groom was a pilot. I did a fall wedding cake with ivory icing, raffia ribbons and fall colored gerbera daisies on it and I made a scarecrow bride and groom to go with that one. I liked to explain to them the design elements and how the topper, if any should tie in with the cake. Like was said before, most brides don't know they should shop for a topper, so a little education goes a long way.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:28pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

I always ask Brides to provide me with the topper they will use on their cake. That way I can plan for whatever they choose.

This is the best solution I can think of.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:44pm
post #29 of 32

Well I think a wedding cake and topper should reflect the couple getting married. My husband and I lived together for 9 yrs before he finally proposed. We had very little money and couldnt afford one of the porcelain toppers and he chose the one with the bride dragging the groom lol which I thought was appropriate as I had been asking him for about 5 yrs to marry me lol. And since I believe that the wedding cake is for both the bride and groom that it was nice that he participated in the process. I picked the cake he picked the topper. Weddings are very personal things to an extent just like the dress maker cannot decide for a bride what style she should wear. Maybe she wants to be elegant maybe a fairy princess maybe a rock star. That doesnt mean the dress maker made a poor dress it just reflects the brides dream.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 5:03pm
post #30 of 32

I love that kind of topper, not what I would have on my own cake but I think they're funny.
The toppers I hate are the ones with all the fabric and stuff, I know some people like them but I hate them.
I chose ceramic doves for my wedding, they were very pretty and had no lace. icon_lol.gif A bonus with them is that I don't have to worry about fabric discoloring over time and if it gets dusty I can clean it without worrying.
My sister used an old set for her wedding that she got from my grandma who loves to go to second hand shops. She hadn't seen any she liked other places, it's on the wedding cake in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%