Super-Tall Tiers Stacked Construction

Decorating By DelightsByE Updated 27 Sep 2006 , 1:54am by DelightsByE

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 30

Hi!

There is a cake I want to do (in fact have been dreaming of it for weeks now) for a wedding in a couple of weeks. This cake will have 3 stacked layers, 10", 8" and 6". Each layer will be 6, if not 8 inches tall. (comprised of 3 or 4 2-inch layers each) BC iced together with simple decorations (just pearl border or something). To make one very tall elegant cake. I've seen versions in magazines so I know it's possible. (of course everything in mags these days seems to be fondant....but anyway....)

I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls I should anticipate, will I have problems with the weight of the layers in each tier, I intend to dowel the heck out of it but has anyone done this?

TIA!!! icon_smile.gif

29 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 30

I've seen this done, and it's really neat. I would probably put every 2 layers on a cake board, and dowel the heck out of it. And a center dowel would probably be a great idea. Good luck and post pics!

DelightsByE Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 30

Just for reference, I fonud this photo by Antonia74 which is kind of like what i have in mind, just take off the top and bottom tiers (and without the black circles). Her tiers are 6.5 inches tall. I'd like mine to be 8, but will settle for 6 or 7 if 8 won't work!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=tall&cat=0&pos=261&search=tall

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 30

Sure, the fact that you can chill buttercream and build the extra tall cake while it is still cold helps. My Madhatter cakes have bases that are usually 4 or 5 layers and that comes to about 6.5" or 7" sometimes. Works fine.

Having never used a crusting or shortening-based buttercream, I don't know the pitfalls of them. I only use Italian Meringue Buttercream and it is nice and stable for my tall tiers.

Here's my best example of that tall height using IMBC. I think these tiers were only 5.5" or 6" tall, but you get the picture. It's totally do-able:
LL

DelightsByE Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 30

Thanks!!!

OK so here is my next question. If there's going to be a board in the middle of these tiers, how would it get served? Wouldn't the BC stick to the underside of the cardboard? I figure if they get bisected, it would yield TWO 10" cakes and TWO 8" ones. More serving count.

Thought I could ice them separately, stack and wrap a ribbon around?

(Antonia) what is your advice about serving? I will not be the one cutting (I will be a guest at the wedding).

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 30

Yes, it would stick. But I think if you sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the frosting before putting the board on, it might help in that regard. Otherwise, I don't see a way around it. Probably Antonia does, since she's done this before.

DelightsByE Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 30

parchment paper circle in between?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 30

would u really want to board in between every 2 layers or are u just thinking for stability?

as for serving, tell the bride to make sure she's asked someone that really knows what they're doing (or is a caterer doing it)

DelightsByE Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 30

Both for stability and also so the tiers can be bisected into two separate cakes each tier.

The reception is at the Westmoreland Club in Wilkes-Barre PA, it's a hoity-toity city club and I'm sure the staff is fully capable. Just not sure how to communicate to them what's going on under the BC.

daltonam Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 30

draw them a diagram, with instruction & leave it with the cake icon_biggrin.gif sorry just a thought

DelightsByE Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 30

Tara icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
why R U apologizing?? that's why I come here - for ANSWERS!!!!
thanks!

daltonam Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 30

oh & now that i have the picture dunce.gif i totally agree, u r going to need something under them so that the 2nd layer of each doesn't look like @^#&*! on top--wax or parch sounds good to me, can you do a practice to see if it works--heck why practice just wait for antonia to come back & i bet she knows what's best

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

If there's going to be a board in the middle of these tiers, how would it get served? Wouldn't the BC stick to the underside of the cardboard?

Why not use the old Wilton trick of putting coconut on top of your bottom cake, then the next cake on a board? The coconut keeps the icing from sticking to the bottom of the cardboard, and adds a little bit of another flavor layer to some of your servings. It really doesn't detract from the taste of a cake serving, either.

Just a thought.

Also, stability is not going to be a problem, especially if you consider that it doesn't matter that the tiers above are the same size or smaller in diameter ... it's just stacking a cake, after all, and if you can do that well, you'll be okay.

Good luck and post photos when you're finished!

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 30

If you are going to do 8" tall tiers (which is possible by the way) - these are called Double Talls and as such they need to be treated as 2 tiers stacked on top of one another. Colette Peters talks about this in her book Cakes to Dream on
So you need to dowel and place a board at the 1/2 way point in each of the tiers otherwise the weight of the other layers and tiers will cause this sucker to collapse.
The height and weight will make it practically impossible to carry stacked, so you will need to construct on site - each 8" tall tier ready to be stacked when you get there.
The separation boards also allow for easy serving, and cake slices that will actually fit a dessert plate!

Here are some examples of extra tall cakes that I've done - they are not stacked wedding cakes, but each of them is tall cake that has 1 board separating the top from the bottom section.
LL
LL

DelightsByE Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 11:23pm
post #15 of 30

Hey thanks flourgrl!

Anyone who can pirate me a scanned version of Colette's text on the subject???

I have never transported a stacked cake already assembled. I ALWAYS build it on-site.

Will I be able to transport the individual 8" tiers though? Or do I have to ice them on site also?

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 11:35pm
post #16 of 30

I don't have the book but if nobody can help you you could check out the library.

flourgrl Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 11:38pm
post #17 of 30

no the 8" talls should be fine...just have them all ready to be stacked when you get to the venue.

antonia74 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 11:52pm
post #18 of 30

Parchment sounds fine, but it would still stick to the parchment too. icon_confused.gif

I use a very very thin circle of fondant, cut to just under the size of the board above it. I put my dowels in first, then the fondant circle overtop. Then, the board above either pulls it away when lifted (and it is thrown away) or it sticks to the cake beneath and gets eaten as well when sliced.

DelightsByE Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:16am
post #19 of 30

Antonia - this circle of fondant - do you let it dry first? Or put it on freshly-rolled?

antonia74 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 8:33pm
post #20 of 30

well, freshly rolled...but i use the white chocolate fondant that is tempered choc. It doesn't sweat in/from the fridge, so it doesn't stick like glue.

DelightsByE Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 30

white chocolate fondant? recipe please!! icon_biggrin.gif

flourgrl Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 8:52pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

well, freshly rolled...but i use the white chocolate fondant that is tempered choc. It doesn't sweat in/from the fridge, so it doesn't stick like glue.

It doesn't sweat? Not at all??

mug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mug Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 8:57pm
post #23 of 30

Colette recommends doing it exactly as flourgrl explained it, but she puts a layer of fondant (only on the top, not over the sides) under the cardboard so it doesn't stick. Sounds like all of these ideas would work.

DelightsByE Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 9:00pm
post #24 of 30

OK so I guess my next question is, these cakes will be bisected to become 2 normal cakes for cutting purposes. Would the cutting crew just, what - stick a knife in and hope they hit the board? Or do I ice them separately and cover up the seam with a ribbon (not my preferred option)? Antonia the photo you attached - was that split in 2 for serving purposes?

mug Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 9:14pm
post #25 of 30

Here's a direct quote from Collette's book (hope it's OK to do this):
"When the upper tier is cut, the knife will go down until it hits the middle board. That tier will be cut, the board will be removed, and then the bottom tier will be cut. So, when you are figuring how many servings you'll have, if the cake is 10 inches high, which usually serves 30, you should figure that it will serve 60, since it is a double layer."

flourgrl Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 9:16pm
post #26 of 30

You would fill and stack as normal, then cover the entire thing with the fondant or buttercream. When they cut, they will cut down as per normal, hit the board, finish that layer, remove the board, and continue with the next section.
Just tell them there's a support board and dowels inside.
If you are going to do this in fondant - the pieces you will be rolling are going to be huge!

DelightsByE Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 10:10pm
post #27 of 30

Thank you and I think it's OK to quote Colette, you gave her credit so it's good.

I am totally picturing this now!

I kinda wish this were going to be in fondant, but BC will work too. Just need to make sure I have enough fridge space available, since this is an out-of-town wedding and we're going up the day before. The cakes will already be baked, and the fillings and icing tubs will be in a cooler.

We are staying at a hotel but will be using my brother's sister-in-law's kitchen to do the assembly and icing parts. Should really ask her about fridge space. It's not in my budget to buy even a small one!

mug Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 10:45pm
post #28 of 30

Let us know how it goes...can't wait to see the picture!! Your cakes are beautiful, I know this one will be too!

antonia74 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:55pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

white chocolate fondant? recipe please!! icon_biggrin.gif

I buy mine pre-made from a local supply store.

DelightsByE Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:54am
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I buy mine pre-made from a local supply store.

icon_cry.gif

OK I'm over it!

Thinking since this one is out of town, I'm just going to use a parchment circle and let the top crust first. I know it will stick some, but I'm not going to be in any kind of place where I can be rolling out fondant! Still trying to work out the refrigeration issue!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%