Just Got Back From A Birthday Party And

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 28 Jul 2007 , 10:46pm by Relznik

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 8

the cake was not cute. It was some good friends of ours, and I kept thinking, why didn't they ask me to make the cake? They know I make them! It was a sheet cake with the drawing of a train on it, and it was drawn on there CROOKED. icon_surprised.gif I had wanted to do a sculpted cake, with a little line of train cars.
Before we left the house, I told my husband "I hope you know that you need to tell me that the cake was horrible and that they should have hired me!" And when we left I smiled at him and said "well, at least you won't have to lie!"
Does anyone else out there have friends who don't hire them, or is it just me?

7 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 8

My best friend knows I do cakes for friends and family only so I jump at the chance to do a cake as I only get to do them a couple of times a month. But she gets a nasty store cake instead!! What can I say to her? If she wants that yucko, frozen forever cake, there is nothing I can do about it! icon_confused.gif

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 8

Some of my friends don't want to "bother" me to have me make them a cake cuz they think I'm too busy. Others don't want to pay my prices. There's nothing you can do about it except sit back and know how much better your cake would have been icon_smile.gif

What I'm loving right now is when they get cake from this famous bakery in town, they now say "wow that's too rich, your cake is so much better"

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 8

...yep, same here....my best friend has 3 boys and has not asked me to do one yet...kinda bums me out....but....whatever......

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 8

I keep wondering if it is because they just don't trust my abilities, or if it is because they don't want to pay me? They used an expensive bakery in town...not like Walmart or Kroger or anything...so who knows?

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 8

lol, i told my new daughter in law that if she ever buys another cake from Walmart that she could not come to our house again if she ever bought another cake from Walmart and i mean it. ( icon_evil.gif )

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 8

My sister won't even let me do my nieces' cakes!! It used to upset me terribly, I want to be the show-off and all.... but she just said to me that just as our mom made our cakes, she wants to make theirs.... so I respect that and stand back and let her do them. -=( Still makes me say 'i could do better' but she does her best!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 8

On the one hand, I know exactly what you mean and it does make you think 'why?' I have a couple of friends who haven't asked me - but I also know that they probably wouldn't want to pay what I usually charge (not that I would necessarily charge them full price).

However, on the other hand, I'm expected to make cakes for all my family... and increasingly my extended family, too. And whilst, of course, I don't mind, sometimes I just can't afford to make all these elaborate cakes for nothing... and as my skill level increases, so does what they ask of me.

What did upset me is when my mum asked to put in a cake 'order' for a friend of hers from a group she regularly goes to. She got a bit 'uppity' with me when I said I wouldn't do it. She'd told them it would be £20 - well the ingredients and cake board and box would be almost £10. And I would have had to have done it all day on my birthday. So I said I wasn't prepared to do it for just £10 profit (I would usually have charged around £60 for this cake!)

LOL reading that back it seems I'm not happy when they don't ask me and I'm not happy when they do icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%