Gumpaste Figures

Decorating By chefmom Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 1:31pm by chefmom

chefmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefmom Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know of a good reference for gumpaste 3-D figures? I would like to make a frog prince. I saw an adorable one in the gallery that didn't look too complicated, but I would feel more confident if I also had a book or video that explained the steps. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 9

I found a frog tutorial done by Cakeboss, woot! Here it is...
http://www.cakeboss.com/frog.aspx

Also, many cc members recommend getting the polymer(sp?) clay books that shows how to model figurines. The same concept works for modeling figurines out of fondant! Here is a link to a site with some polymer clay figurines that a fellow CC'er posted.
http://www.sculpey.com/projects_figures.htm

HTH some, Jen

sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 9

I have the same question. I have never thought about using clay books!!

Also, what is teh "glue" that holds this stuff together (I have only used water)?

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 9

The name of the glue is Vegetable Gum mix just a little bit with water. Keep in a small closed lid container. Michaels or Joann's

Kat

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 9

You can get some books from the library. They are really good.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 9

those books for filo or whatever that bakable plastercine is called can be very helpfull... they have loads of tips and are sometimes alittle bit cheaper then cake books... it texture is different but u will get the idea... also if u buy cnew clean clay modelling tools they are sooo much cheaper then cake ones... they do the same thing... weird ey?

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 9

Great Question!! I have been surfing net & also library for same thing -- but I never saw this web up posted so now have it! Thanks CC!! icon_biggrin.gif

sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 9

I love the ideas of getting clay tools. I have always wondered why fondant tools are so expensive!

chefmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefmom Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for the help! It never occured to me to use polymer clay books as a reference. I am off to Michael's to look for books and tools.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%