Decorating And Losing Weight...

Decorating By erinkalins Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 3:22pm by KHalstead

erinkalins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinkalins Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 28

I have to tell you all...the group of people on this site are some of the NICEST and most helpful people I have ever "met". My point being, if any of you have ever frequented the Weight Watchers board, the people there are mean and catty and as far from helpful as you can get. I am thankful that there are still lots of nice people over here! So, thank you all for all your help!

27 replies
modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 28

Erin--visit www.healthdiscovery.net , the "Bootcamp Buddies" board is an independent message board for people doing ww, and is a *much* better resource than the official WW board. I've lost about 30 pounds so far (about 30 more to go to reach my private goal weight), and I know I wouldn't have been able to do it without my bootcamp buddies.

erinkalins Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 28

Oh thank you! Congrads on the weight loss, I am down 15lbs with about 10 more to go! So hard with the cake though! I think I counted ONE slice with buttercream to be about 10pts. But, I will check out that other site. Today i just had enough of those women being SOO mean and rude!

erinkalins Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 28

Oh by the way, I LOVE your cactus cake. Really really cute! icon_biggrin.gif

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 28

Thanks for letting us know about the other website. I've been working on it since January, and am down 32 pounds. I'd like to go another 20, but I've been in a plateau since May. Luckily, I don't like buttercream icing, and I don't really even like to eat cake, so it's not tempting to me at all. I'm not a sweets person, so this is a safe hobby for my weight loss goals. However, if my passion was frying food, that'd be a whole other story!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 28

Hi ladies - I'm on Weight Watchers and it is a struggle for me to decorate cakes without licking spoons, eating cake shavings, "sampling" my frosting, etc. Yes, the WW boards are SO mean! I've seen some really rude comments. That is such a contrast to the wonderful peope here at CC!Congratulations to both of you on your weight loss - I know how hard it is. I'm down about 35 lbs. after I had my son..still have about 20 to go. I've been "stalled" for a few months...wonder if that has anything to do with my discovery of CC and increased amount of decorating????

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 28

I've been on weight watchers too for three weeks now and it's SO hard!! I do taste a tiny bit here and there, but count 2 pts for each bite so I cover myself. It is so hard though to make a cake and not keep sampling!! Oh well, the smaller waist is worth it in the end, I hope.... icon_lol.gif

erinkalins Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 28

I find reall when I am decorating that It helps to eat something TOTALLY non-cake related. Like, something spicy or...chew gum. Even ONE little taste, I am down for the count. Congrads to both of you on your losses. Speaking of...do you all use your flex points? I have this argument with myself all the time!....

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 28

OMG!! They don't have the watchful eye of moderator like we do here icon_lol.gif

The Jenny Craig thread is....um, interesting.... and gross! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

I am doing a low carb thing since I couldn't stick with WW (even though I believe it is the best long term successful program for weight loss) I have no self control icon_redface.gif so I am only eating carbs that come from vegetables, whole wheat bread or this diet yogurt that I bought.....

I am he%$ icon_lol.gif

Kwitol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kwitol Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 28

thumbs_up.gif Someone told me once that if you go brush your teeth as soon as you get an urge to eat something sweet it kills the craving... not sure about that one but, I eat a pickle slice and it TOTALLY kills the craving for sweets, and I smell wonderfull too! ha ha! icon_eek.gif I eat a couple of litlle sliced pickles before I start a cake and so far it has worked for me icon_lol.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 28

I had heard that if you chew sugarless gum at night it would curb nighttime munching (not that I do that icon_redface.gif ) When I told my friend, she said gum increased you appetite and would make me hungry but I tried it last night and it worked quite well! I also make tons of sugarless jello and eat that at night - no fat carbs or calories ( if there are calories, I think they are 40 or less )

I am a major junk food junkie.....

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:49pm
post #12 of 28

If any of you ambitious people are in MA and want a little sister tot ake under your wing, let me know.

I'm 24 and in desperate need to loose weight, but have NO self discipline.

Anyone willing to whip me into shape? lol

Why did I have to choose cake decorating as my hobby? lol I'm screwed hehe

CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 28

What is MA? icon_redface.gif

awolf24 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 28

I haven't been able to really find anything that stops my craving. I can't make cake balls because I never have any left over cake pieces/shavings! I do try to keep ice water on hand and drink that while I decorate but like erinkalins, once I have just one bite/lick, it is ALL downhill for me.

I'm trying to be really good this week and I have a cake to decorate tonight (after going out to dinner with a friend) - I'll be relying on willpower and the desire to fit back into my "skinny" jeans.

daisygurlvb Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 28

ooh sorry, Massachusetts

I don't have skinny jeans, but I have fat jeans for days I feel even bigger than I already am. lol So I guess my regular jeans would be my skinny jeans. Although I'm plus size, so I guess that defeats the purpose lol.

CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:03pm
post #16 of 28

UG! Skinny jeans....shhhhhh! Don't even mention them! I used to wear my skinny jeans last year and I am sooo bummed that they don't fit anymore.

Last year when my husband took off, I lost 20 lbs. just like that! Then we got back together, yada, yada, yada..... this year, he left again ( no coming back now! ) and HE lost 20 lbs. and I haven't lost one stinkin' pound! icon_mad.gif Oh, the RAGE!!

I am trying to go to Curves often but I am a major lazy bones so it is a constant struggle icon_redface.gif

I hear people who have recently lost weight and said "Food doesn't taste as good as feeling skinny", etc. and I wish I felt like that too!

awolf24 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:03pm
post #17 of 28

My "skinny" jeans are not all that little...just for when I was skinnier than I am now! (it is all comparative) icon_smile.gif But they are still motivation. Plus I just feel better when I eat healthier - imagine that!

CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:08pm
post #18 of 28

I am a relatively happy person when I am working out or walking alot... It's those endorphins that make me smile and also, I can sing so much better! I know it sounds weird but my theory is when you are active and working out, there is more oxygen present and the difference is so noticeable. It's the difference between forcing a note out and running out of breathe or controlling the release and having breathe left over.

I'm sure I sound like a nut...what I really need to do is get off this damn computer and get on the treadmill! icon_lol.gif

daisygurlvb Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:09pm
post #19 of 28

I think part of my problem is I've been big all my life. I don't know want what it's like to have been skinny, so I just give up before I even try. Seems like I'm destined to be big, ya know?

But I do go for a consult with my Doctor on Monday to discuss options. Maybe I can be put on a well regimented program and electro shock or something LOL.

CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:17pm
post #20 of 28

Me too! I was really skinny my sophomore year and have been 'big' ever since.... I have never been tiny or fit into these small, little jeans, etc. I also have a huge chest which just makes me look bigger. Even when I lose weight, I still have to buy plus size shirts and I can never find dresses that fit.... icon_sad.gif

Kwitol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kwitol Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:22pm
post #21 of 28

icon_cry.gif I was always a thin person until I had my boys (Mother nature is so cruel!!) icon_rolleyes.gif Anyway, I have had a huge problem because I never had to diet in my life so I was a bit bewildered for awhile, wasn't sure where to start....I "was" one of those girls I hate now icon_mad.gif ... I have always been fairly active and I am not much on junk food except when I am PMS'ing, but I have had no results from anything I have tried...been to doctor after doctor and nothing...... I went for a consultation yesterday with another doctor and he put me on b12 shots and phentramin (sp?) I know it is scary to be on pills etc.. but I am at the end of my rope and will try just about anything....I am hoping this will yeild some sort of results for me...otherwise I am just going to start smoking crack! Just kidding of course!! icon_lol.gif I will update if I actually lose something thumbs_up.gif

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:30pm
post #22 of 28

Hi guys We have a thread right here on CC. We support each other in our weight loss goals. Any one is more than welcome to join.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-21483-900.html

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:33pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

What is MA? icon_redface.gif

I believe that is massachusettes

daisygirlvb......have you ever tried weight watchers?? I mean don't get me wrong you have to have some kind of self control but there are ways around it........I have failed miserably on every diet in the world....but weight watchers I can do!! I think because they don't tell you anything is OFF limits!! I don't like to be restricted....If I want to eat triple chocolate cake and nothing else.....I can......but I can only eat one piece and then can't eat the rest of the day...that's usually enough to get me passed that craving LOL But there are ways around it.......like soup for instance.....tons of soups that can be made for zero points.....you can eat them all day long if you want. I have revamped so many recipes (my mom thinks I'm a genius) I have found a way to have fettucini alfredo, stuffed peppers, meatloaf, you name it...for under ten points.........believe me if you want the food bad enough you'll find a way to eat it and still not kill the diet plan!!!

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:59pm
post #24 of 28

I too am sooooo glad I found CC - so much support for cakes AND weight loss - ironic huh? My problem is the same with cake as it was with alcohol before I got sober - I don't want to stop once I start. I've been really good the last 2 weeks, because I haven't made any cakes, but usually even when I don't have orders, I make cakes anyway - so saaaad!!

I do like the WW program, and I have personally had a lot of success with it, but I'm sorry to hear the message boards are so mean...that's a bummer icon_sad.gif Towards the end of using up my 'coupons' I was sort of phoning it in - I'm trying to get preggers again, and I'm more than a little scared of what will happen once I get over the morning sickness!

I also loved the chance to 'fiddle' with recipes - I started using whole wheat flour in cookie recipes to cut the points, I use lowfat cheese, barilla plus pasta, ground turkey, etc. and still eat really really well. Sadly, you can't make those kinds of calorie cuts in a cake and have it taste very good.

Anyhoo, my 2 cents - if I really don't want to be tempted, I chew sugarless gum - preferably a minty one, because the taste lingers, so even if I spit it out the cake tastes terrible. HTH!

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 9:14pm
post #25 of 28

I was having some success with LA weight loss. I had lost 35 pounds. Then back in April, I lost all self control!! I have not gained it all back!!! :- Sometimes I think it would just be easier to give in and be full and fluffy!! I was a skinny girl in the past and if I picked up 5 or 10 pounds, I would just run every night for a week and it would take care of it. Not any more!!

I've tried getting back on track, but it is more expensive to eat healthy. Healthy food is more expensive in the grocery and in restaurants. At lunch you can go to O'Charley's and get a deliciously evil icon_evil.gif loaded baked potato and salad for around $5.00, but if you order a healthy grilled chicken, it will cost you double that!

Maybe someday, there will be a miracle cure for my food addiction!! icon_biggrin.gif

daisygurlvb Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 9:46pm
post #26 of 28

I tried WW once but thought it was too much work to count the points. Maybe since I'm at a different stage in my life, it might work if I try it again. My problem was finding the support (i didn't like the idea of going to the meetings) but now that CC is in my life, maybe it'll work after all.

*checking out the other thread about the weight loss* icon_smile.gif

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 10:10pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygurlvb

I think part of my problem is I've been big all my life. I don't know want what it's like to have been skinny, so I just give up before I even try. Seems like I'm destined to be big, ya know?

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was a good 200 pounds for years and years and this is just how I felt for most of my life. Even after I lost weight I still have problems seeing myself as a thinner person. My "skinny jeans" are a size FOUR, but I got into them in the first place in a rather unhealthy way if you know what I mean. icon_redface.gif They're not even close to fitting they way they used to right now, but even when they did I still thought I was fat!

I've worked hard to be healthy again, but in the process I've gained more than I would have liked so now I'm working on losing those last 10 pounds the right way!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:22pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygurlvb

I tried WW once but thought it was too much work to count the points. Maybe since I'm at a different stage in my life, it might work if I try it again. My problem was finding the support (i didn't like the idea of going to the meetings) but now that CC is in my life, maybe it'll work after all.

*checking out the other thread about the weight loss* icon_smile.gif

I've never been to a WW meeting......my friend was in it so I just gave her some money to get me the books!! I don't think I like the idea of getting weighed in front of other people....I would feel rediculous if I gained a pound and everyone saw!! Anyhow.....I think once you get used to thinking about "points" it gets easier.....you start memorizing the value of everything and it just ends up coming natural to choose something lower in points....and I also think your taste buds change (sounds strange I know, but it's true)...I LOVE sweets and would crave them every night after dinner.....but not anymore...now I have some when I feel like it and I don't "crave" them anymore! Weird, but it did happen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%