What Do I Do For $30?...

Decorating By sugarlaced Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 12:34pm by sparklineagle

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 40

I had a "friend of a friend" call me just now and she wants a b-day cake for her 10 y/o next Friday. That part is okay, but she wants it to have a Hannah Montana theme with some sort of stage lights!!! And she needs to feed 20 (some of which are small children). And she wants the sheet cake to be torted and filled!!! BUT she doesn't want to pay more than $30 for a cake and she "just hates the way Wal-Mart cakes taste!".

What do I tell her I can do for her???

HELP!, what would you do???

SugarLaced

39 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 40

stick to your guns and tell her just how little custom crafted cake $30 will buy

(what a 9x13? and that would be $1.25 / serving @ 24 servings -- way LOW -- with basic white BC, border and 3BC roses in one accent color)

a 8in round would be more like it!

don't be bullied or feel bad or like you have to give a break because referred by a friend, etc., etc., etc.

in fact, might wish to say, "Sorry, no can do -- my minimum order amount is $XX (suggest at least $75 or even $100)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 40

Well gosh darn gee, I'd like to have a new car .... big enough for 6 people, like the Cadillac SUV, with air conditioning and a sunroof, I-Pod compatibility, remote control start, and a built in driver to chauffer me around (and it helps if he got that George Clooney look to him) .....

But I don't want to pay more than $6,000.

Yeah.....THAT'll work! dunce.gif

You can tell me what you want (and I'll tell you what it will cost) or you can tell me how much you want to spend (and I'll tell you what you can get).

You don't get to do both.

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 40

I would explain to her that you are glad she checked you out, but that your min. cake price runs around $xx.xx.... If they want a cool cake that bad, then they are going to have pay for it. It will not be worth your time to do it for $30. Hell, I dont even think I would do cupcakes for that.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 40

Well, I looked at your cakes and quite frankly, you cannot afford to be picky about your customers. You can afford to be downright exclusive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You can tell me what you want (and I'll tell you what it will cost) or you can tell me how much you want to spend (and I'll tell you what you can get). You don't get to do both.

Nuff said.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 40

For $30 you can go to walmart and get her a sheet cake. : )

okieinalaska Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 40

Or maybe an 8" round more plainly decorated with just buttercream filling. : )

Tell her to cut small pieces though.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 40

cupcakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 40

Can you ask her for and extra 10$ for an edible image?...

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:00am
post #10 of 40

Plain iced, maybe a border (white) and writing. No filling and no other decorations.
I could see a small discount for a friend but for someone you don't even know? icon_confused.gif

sugarlaced Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudine1976

Can you ask her for and extra 10$ for an edible image?...

Yes, I had this in mind also! Thanks!

sugarlaced Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:59am
post #12 of 40

All you guys are so great...thanks fo the wonderful support!!!

Gonna offer her a 9x13 wasc w/bc and an edible image(which she buys) of Hannah Montana!!!

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:04am
post #13 of 40

In all reality people on here charge what I call "real prices" for cake . i chage 25-35 for a sheet cake filled or not b/c if i were to ask someone to make me a cake from theyre house and they want to charge alot then i would say whatever n go to the supermarket and pay under 20. but you could do a fbct and try to do a background and put little silver pearls to resemble the lights . make the cake colorful very girly and you will be alright.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:05am
post #14 of 40

What do you tell her you can do for her? NOTHING! That's ridiculous and I hate when people do that. When are they going to realize that they have to PAY when they want something different or special. If you want to pay Walmart prices, go get a cake from Walmart!

okieinalaska Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:09am
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika513x2

i chage 25-35 for a sheet cake filled or not b/c if i were to ask someone to make me a cake from theyre house and they want to charge alot then i would say whatever n go to the supermarket and pay under 20. .

So you are saying if you asked someone to make you a sheet cake and they charged more than 25-35 you would just go to walmart (or wherever) and get it there?

I would say I don't have a problem with that. icon_biggrin.gif Enjoy your cake. : ) People pay what they will pay, but that doesn't mean you have to do it for that price.

: ) Everyone is different and all cakes are not equal. : )

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:20am
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieinalaska

So you are saying if you asked someone to make you a sheet cake and they charged more than 25-35 you would just go to walmart (or wherever) and get it there?

I would say I don't have a problem with that. icon_biggrin.gif Enjoy your cake. : ) People pay what they will pay, but that doesn't mean you have to do it for that price.

: ) Everyone is different and all cakes are not equal. : )

I totally agree with you. I actually just suggested Wal-mart to someone who was complaining about price. I'm not PriceLine... you don't get to name your own price!

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:29am
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

I'm not PriceLine... you don't get to name your own price!

Oh, that line is about to become a classic! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:25am
post #18 of 40

I just look at it from both sides of the fence as a regular consumer b4 i started making cakes I would've never known all the drama that goes into making one and on the normal basis as a regular consumer I also would've never paid $40 for a sheet cake either when i know walmart has then for $20. So I try not to charge too much, I really dont agree with people charging by the portions either but thats an industry thing and nothing can be done. Plus I enjoy doing cakes its fun and I feel like I just made something beautiful. So thats why I'm saying eventhough the lady offered up $30 I believe it can be possible, especially if its a friend. No it can't be like a pure vanilla bean cake with like rum sauce or something b/c now it probably takes $30 just to make the thing for real. but a plain old cake, even from the box. go to walmart buy 2 box cakes and spend what $3??? then go to save a lot and buy 2 bags of sugar at $.89 each so now we're up to $5. and so on, so to me it is possible.

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:53am
post #19 of 40

these prices are real prices whether the cake made from a store or home. you still are using electic, gas and products to make the cake, and what about your time. for most of us "home bakers" we have other jobs so our time is limited so why not charge accordingly. i would tell her, so that you are booked for that weekend and tell her to go to the supermarket for her cake. i know around here, a sheet cake with "special" instructions cost approximately $60.00 so good luck in search of a $30.00 made to order cake.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:54am
post #20 of 40

Erika513x2,

Did you factor in the gas you wasted going from place to place? Or the gas it costs to bake the cake, the water it costs to clean up after you are finished, etc? I believe old girl asked for a filling. Oh BTW, she is not a friend... she is a "friend of a friend" which equals regular customer! $30 bucks get you a non-torted & non-filled sheet cake with all bc icing.

indydebi,

Can you get me the new BMW hardtop convertible for $6000 too?!

Jen1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen1979 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:12am
post #21 of 40

Dang!!! Now I'm wishing I charged more for the cake I just did. It was my first cake I charged for, usually I just did them for family and friends as their gifts. I only charged $30 but the girl paid me $40 for the Chucky cake I did and I was worried that I was charging too much. I guess I'll go higher next time.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:22am
post #22 of 40

Well, in my opinion, "real prices" are prices that reflect the value of an item. If she wants her daughter to have a cake for $30, then she needs to ask what $30 will buy, or ask if $30 will buy a Hannah Montana themed cake. If she doesn't like Walmart, she can go to the grocery store, or Baskin Robbins, etc. But, if she wants a custom designed cake, then she is going to pay a price that reflects a custom, designed cake and not a budget basement cake.

By the way, whether the person is a friend or not shouldn't matter. This is a business. If you offer a discount that is one thing, but you cannot give a deal to every "friend" and make your business profit at the same time. Personally, I don't make a decorated cake (or cupcakes) for less than $40, and that is for either a 9x13 inch cake or 24 cupcakes, buttercream only.

Kathi

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:34am
post #23 of 40

I don't think you can get a Hannah Montana edible image can you? Is that copyright?

Lu

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:42am
post #24 of 40

And, when the word gets out how beautifual AND affordable it was, you'll be getting calls from all over expecting low prices.

IMHO I couldn't do a HM cake for $30 for a party that size.

Heck, I don't even dirty my KA and turn my oven on for less $40.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:56am
post #25 of 40

Time is money and with three (almost four) little guys and five times that many baskets of laundry to do, I can't afford to do cake unless I'm pulling a profit that's worth taking time away to do the work. Until the kids all get into school, I can't have this be my "hobby" so it has to be a "side job" and therefore has to pay like one. I'd rather take three orders per month that pay me $20/hour than ten orders per month that pay me $3/hour. KWIM?

frogleggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogleggs Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:07am
post #26 of 40

I am with the majority of the posters. I know when I first started selling cakes, and I would hear a sob story of how they couldn't afford to spend a lot on a cake or they "only" had xx amount for a cake, I am such a softy, I would discount a cake down for them. Only to find when I went to the party that they didn't skimp anywhere else (food, decorating, presents, location). It didn't take me long to figure out that lower my prices for peoples situations was not a good idea. I now charge $40 for a 12x16 sheet cake that feeds 30 - 35 people. That is buttercream decoration and no filling. If they want it torted and filled it is an additional $5. If they are wanting a cake kit or an edible image I charge the amount that it runs me for the parts and a small fee for my gas. Not only are you doing a customized fresh cake, but you are doing it at a higher cost than Walmart. I think the best way to do it would be to do cupcakes and purchase some hanna montana cupcake rings (if available) and if not then look at the party supplies and ice the cupcakes in the same color scheme to match.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:07am
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9129

I don't think you can get a Hannah Montana edible image can you? Is that copyright?

Lu

It's only a problem if you make the image yourself, from copyrighted material. There is already a Hannah Montana edible image available for use, if you can find someone that sells it.

I think I saw some on eBay once.

Holly

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika513x2

I really dont agree with people charging by the portions either but thats an industry thing and nothing can be done.

Paint is sold by the gallon.
Carpet is sold by the yard.
Lumber is sold by the board-foot.
Material is sold by the yard.
Yarn is sold by the skein.
Concrete is sold by the square yard.
Roofing is sold by the square.
Potatoes (and a lot of foods) are sold by the pound.
Diamonds are sold by the karat weight.
Shipping charges are determined by weight.

Lots of things have a standard unit of measure. The reason the food industry charges by the serving is because food is measured by how many people it serves! if I tell someone the cake costs $300, the first thing they are going to ask is "how many does it serve?" When they want a price on a buffet, I have to know how many people it's going to feed.

Cakes, buffets, plated dinner receptions .... ALL of it revolves on "how many people are you serving?"

Pricing by the serving is logical business sense for the industry.

Even if you THINK you are charging by the cake, you're not. A cake serves so many people. Price divided by number of servings = cost per serving. You're doing it..... you just haven't figured out that you are.

So don't go to Lowe's and tell them you need paint..... for a room.....about this big. They need to know how many gallons you need.

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:59am
post #29 of 40

never the customer supose put price for you cake

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:11am
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You can tell me what you want (and I'll tell you what it will cost) or you can tell me how much you want to spend (and I'll tell you what you can get).

You don't get to do both.

. . . what she said . . . (mind if I quote you? I'm gonna have a t-shirt made up icon_biggrin.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%