First Tastings Questions...i've Got Some Serious Jitters....

Business By hsmomma Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 2:33pm by leily

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 10

Well, I decided to jump back in after years and years...
Things are different now, back then I only got referrals for Wedding Cakes from people who tasted my cakes. That made it really easy, meet with them, sign a contract...done.
Now, all these years later, the Brides are asking for a "tasting" which I have no problem with. I actually get caught up in the whole Wedding thing. But, I've never done one before...eventhough I've done Wedding Cakes.
SO~ in just a few days, I have 5 Brides and their Grooms coming for a tasting. (It started out as just a couple of Brides/Grooms....) and I'm trying to come up with the best presentation for this. I would like to have them sample 3 different cake flavors and 2 or 3 fillings/frostings. Do I make cupcakes? Or is it better to make cakes in loaf pans, torte them and cut into slices. Cupcakes are easy but, they seem like all "crust" if you know what I mean. Unless I make the jumbo cupcakes...but, then it seems like TOO much cake for a sampling. Even if I only did 2 flavors of cake. It seems like alot on a plate for them. I would never be able to finish 2 jumbo cupcakes in one sitting (well...with people watching anyways LOL)
Any suggestions?...what works the best for you. Help me with my jitters...any advice?
I am only going to do one tasting a month (hence the 5 brides at one time ~ one actually canceled the tasting and just sent a deposit...otherwise I would have had 6). The baking isn't an issue...I've got time set aside to do it. I just wonder what is the "best" way to do it. I'm really looking forward to it, I just want it to be a great experience for them. And I want it to be great for me too.
By the way, I own a commercially licensed kitchen...so I am legal. But, I am doing the tasting in my home since I have no where at the store I can comfortably fit that many people for a tasting. And then, how do I make sure each one feels like they got enough of my attention? Many of them are undecided in their ideas. So, do I have them all come in and sit down and each look through books and kind of rotate between them? I have a dozen or so Wedding Cake books (plus all the Wilton yearbooks). And 2 of my portfolios (though only 1 is strickly Weddings).

~ Oh what did I get myself into? Next month, I'm going to try to schedule them throughout the afternoon. Not altogether. I really didn't dream I'd have so many brides so quickly and at the same time. Talk about jumping in with both feet...

I'd love your advice...

9 replies
spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 10

If I were in your shoes I would make 6 inch cakes. Tort once and fill. I would cut all of the cakes into slices and make 5 diffrent plates each with a slice from each cake. Both the bride and groom can each sample the same slice. They do not need a slice a peice for each flavor or you are going to have to roll them out the door icon_lol.gif
HTH

PhishTech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhishTech Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 10

I agree...the 6" cakes seem like a good portion. Also, you might want to set out a pitcher of water and some nice glasses to go wtih the cake samples. I think that if the baker is looking over peoples shoulders they brides/grooms may feel uncomforatable, so let them know they can look through your books or speak up if they have an idea completly new. Good Luck!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 10

Im sure everything will be great!
I would definitely recommend doing them individually next time, you want each couple to feel important and not one of the masses, plus you are going to want to sit down with each of them to discuss cake design (unless you are doing a seperate consultation for that?). icon_smile.gif

I do a mix and match tasting, mini slices of cakes and small containers of filling/frostings. This gives them a chance to try out different flavor combinations.

HTH!

Ldydesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ldydesignr Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 10

Sounds like the 6" cake idea would work. I think you have the right idea about staggering the schedules next month. That way you can give each bride and groom your undivided attention. Too many brides would get distacting. Good luck.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the suggestions...
Sounds like I really goofed up with the scheduling. Is it going to work? Or is this first one really going to flop? Pressure.... icon_surprised.gif

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmomma

Thanks for the suggestions...
Sounds like I really goofed up with the scheduling. Is it going to work? Or is this first one really going to flop? Pressure.... icon_surprised.gif

it is going to be just fine thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 10

I think what you should do is have them come in for the tasting only. Talk about flavors and fillings and let them taste your cakes.. look at your portfolio and then they can schedule a time to go over their designs with you on an individual basis. 6 inch cakes will be more than ample too. Good luck!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:25am
post #9 of 10

I like to make little 4 inch cakes. You can get those little springform pans from Wilton in Michaels or JoAnns for, I think $5 or so...

I've seen on here someone makes 6" cakes and then cuts in half before decorating pretty for samples. Those were cute.

Good luck with your consultations! icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I think what you should do is have them come in for the tasting only. Talk about flavors and fillings and let them taste your cakes.. look at your portfolio and then they can schedule a time to go over their designs with you on an individual basis. 6 inch cakes will be more than ample too. Good luck!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Yep I like this idea of having them schedule a time to design their cake and sign a contract. But with all of them there you can tell them everything they will need to know.
-Amount of notice needed
-Only a deposit will hold their date
-Will you be staying to cut the cake or will they need to provide
-Prices
-Serving sizes
-60% rule (indydebi uses this to help her brides save money)
- and anything else they need to know about what they will get from you for their money.

May want to have everything you talk about on something like a FAQ sheet for them to take and review. Then don't forget the pricing sheet to.

You might want to have some appointment times available the same day you do the samples so if someone had to drive a bit they won't have to drive back, but would be able to come back same day after discussing it.... (hope this makes sense I left last night in the middle of posting so I hope my train of thought picked up in the same place)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%