What's The Texture Of Fondant Decorated Cookies?

Baking By claygal Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 4:03am by claygal

claygal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claygal Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:25am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!

I haven't tried decorating cookies with fondant, always royal icing.
I'm curious if putting fondant softens the cookies or do they retain their original texture. Don't they get too 'soggy' especially if you have to use some sort of liquid to make the fondant adhere?

Thanks.

6 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:38am
post #2 of 7

I've only done it with MMF, and I put the MMF on the cookies when they came out of the oven. They melted a little onto the surface, so I didn't have to use anything to stick it to the cookie. The cookie itself didn't seem to be a different texture, but I didn't like the combination of the cookie texture and the MMF texture. My son loved it, though.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:41am
post #3 of 7

I too put the fondant on as soon as the cookie comes out of the oven - no need to add any liquid to your cookie. It doesn't change the texture of the cookie at all, and you don't have hard icing to bite into like with royal. Most people have told me that they actually prefer the MMF covered cookies to the royal covered ones. And I love to use it because it is so easy and you can have a beatuiful cookie right away.

claygal Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 8:34am
post #4 of 7

Thanks!

I think I'll give it a try.
Let you know how they come out. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 7

I thin some RI to use as glue, but it's a very thin layer, just enough for the fondant to stick. I don't have the time or place to get my fondant ready ahead of time while baking, so I have to do it after (small kitchen, mom is my baker, so she does baking and I do decorating later). The fondant hardens (not as hard as RI though) so that when you bite the cookie, it breaks along with the cookie. Does that make sense? LOL! It does not change the texture of the cookie because the amount of thinned RI that I put on is so minimal.

It also makes my drying time about 3-6 hours versus 2 days with RI (though I do leave 24 hours before I package just because I have another full-time job).

I find it extremely helpful to use fondant. It does limit my design capabilities a bit I think, but it has worked for me. I was a complete disaster working with RI alone. I like the look of fondant. I could never get the smoothness with RI.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 7

Another tip if you want to put the fondant on right out of the oven...

Cut out your fondant pieces while the cookies are in the oven and then pop them in the fridge while the cookies continue to bake. Your fondant will harden a little and make it much easier to pick up and place on your cookie.

claygal Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:03am
post #7 of 7

Great tips, you guys!
You got me all excited to start experimenting.

Thank you so much. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%