Please Help!! Chocalate Transfers

Decorating By Iesha1976 Updated 23 Sep 2006 , 4:05am by megankennedy

Iesha1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iesha1976 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 14

This is my first time posting on cc, and my first attemp with chocalate transfers. Do i need to make sure the transfers are frozen before i put them on the cake? How long will they last before they start to melt?

Thanks for your help

13 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 14

Welcome to CC icon_smile.gif

I've never done a chocolate transfer...just fbcts, but from my understanding of it, it is the same as the fbct but you put it in the refridgerater to set up.

Here is a bump so that the experienced buddies can help you thumbs_up.gif

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for asking this question - I want to do chocolate transfers too, lettering all over the top of a cake. I hope you get some good repsonses! icon_biggrin.gif

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 14

You can put the transfer on warm chocolate. When the chocolate cools and hardend, you can peel the transfer right off!

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 14

oooooh, i thought you meant using a chocolate transfer sheet - is that what you are using??

kbenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbenz Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 14

I just did my first chocolate transfer, and I just let it sit at room temperature for a couple hours... otherwise if you are in a hurry, I am sure that putting it in the refrigerator for a while could speed up the hardening of the transfer. As far as melting, I used the chocolate wafers, and unless it is really hot there, unlike here in Wisconsin... I don't think you should have a problem with them melting. This summer I wrote on a cake with chocolate and had no problems.. and the cake was used at an outdoor party in August !! thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:15am
post #7 of 14

A chocolate transfer is just like a candy bar. You treat them the same way.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 14

you need to be careful about freezing chocolate transfers as they can become very brittle. You can refrigerate them briefly to speed up the hardening process but it doesn't take long at all for the chocolate to set up. I do not store mine in the refrigerator when they're done because of the brittleness factor . . . but you can store them in an airtight container for weeks! The only time I ever run into melting issues is when my hot hands hold them for too long.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 14

I usually put mine in the fridge or freezer for a little while to set up. They dont need to be frozen to put onto a cake. Like others said, just treat it like it were a chocolate bar. If it is hot out it will melt, but at room temp they are fine.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 14

I found out the hard way - chocolate transfers will warp if placed in the refrigerator longer than needed to "set up". I wouldn't place it in there any longer than 5 minutes or so. My flat chocolate piece went in and 25 minutes later, a slightly curved (warped) piece came out! I usually just keep my house pretty cool and let it set at room temperature.

Oh, and FYI, someone on here once posted that if you make a royal icing transfer, you can put it in your oven with just the interior light on and it will speed up the drying process. However, if you put it in the oven and turn the oven on...well, let me just say it didn't dry it...it did however come out of the oven with a nice shiny appearance and very sticky underneath where no air got to it! Haven't tried that again, so I can only assume the hot oven did it!!

Iesha1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iesha1976 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone for your advice. i can't wait to try it out.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 14

Here is something I thought was very helpful.. when I made my first one.. MAN I love those darn things!!!
http://www.geocities.com/heathers_cakes2000/chocolatedemo.html?1109787013625

dlksf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlksf Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you for the link, briansbaker. I have bookmarked it!

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 4:05am
post #14 of 14

Iesha - I tried my first choc transfers 2day and they turned out wonderful. I will post my pics tomorrow when cake is done.

Everyone is right. no need 4 fridge, just cool room temp. Be careful with touching, it starts melting easily. I used choc candy melts from ac moore, cheap and easy. You can get them in so many colors too!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%