What Is This Cake Worth

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 6:51pm by hsmomma

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:46am
post #1 of 6

Tonight I had a bridal shower to attend, and was also requested to make the cake, -pic is in my photo's (it's the double heart cake)...and in case it's not accessible, here is the pic of the cake

Anyways the hostess plans on paying me...but I'm just the type of person that's uncomfortable about giving prices - so I just asked her to pay what she believes to be a fair price...leaving it up to her (maybe people will think I'm crazy for doing so, oh well)...she said she plans on praying about it (which I'm okay w/ as she is a fellow church member).

So just wondering -if it weren't for the fact that I've allowed her the choice (since I'm new at this)...what would you charge...or if you were the customer, what would you pay?

Side note to say, I know it's not the best...(had a 2 hour doctor appt...then only had 2 hours from start to finish...so it was a little rushed -hence the handwriting not being so great).

5 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 6

Newlywedws, two quick questions first please. What size pan is that? And did you have a fruit or special filling?

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 6

I usually go by number of servings and then take into consideration fillings, flavors, special dedorations, etc. I know I don't charge enough but I start at about $2 per serving on your basic butter cream cake, sometimes even less it depends on the person I am making it for. This is just a hobby for me, so I am in it more for the fun right now.

How much do you think you would have to pay for that at your local bakery? That might give you a better idea of what to charge.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 6

The cake pans I used were a 10" and a 12" - I cut part of the 12" off so I could fit the 10" up against it. I used a raspberry mousse filling inside the cake.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 6

I guess since she is picking the price, it's kinda worth what she is going to give you.
Maybe you can come up with a per serving price that is comparable to bakeries in your area then subtract a little for the "friend factor".
Be careful when having somebody pay you what they think. People that don't know the amount of time that goes into cakes, may not even be in the ballpark. In all fairness to them, they probably only see what their local grocery store sells cakes for.
Anyways, your cake is beautiful. I LOVE your two tone borders. Keep decorating ~ it looks fantastic!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 6

I guess since she is picking the price, it's kinda worth what she is going to give you.
Maybe you can come up with a per serving price that is comparable to bakeries in your area then subtract a little for the "friend factor".
Be careful when having somebody pay you what they think. People that don't know the amount of time that goes into cakes, may not even be in the ballpark. In all fairness to them, they probably only see what their local grocery store sells cakes for.
Anyways, your cake is beautiful. I LOVE your two tone borders. Keep decorating ~ it looks fantastic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%