How To Attach Fondant To Bc....please,please Please

Business By nicksmom Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 8:52pm by shifty

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:29am
post #1 of 17

help me!!!!!!!!!!!! I posted this earlier in the week with little response,I supose it's impossible task??? bride wants all BC with fondant accents only icon_cry.gif

16 replies
brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:31am
post #2 of 17

I've never worked with fondant accents only on buttercream. Sorry I can't help, but I hope someone can!

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:32am
post #3 of 17

I did a cake two weekends ago that was buttercream with fondant daisies. I just made the daisies in advance and let them dry (50/50 fondant gumpaste). When I wanted to attach them to the cake on site I just dabbed a bit of buttercream icing on the back of each flower and attached them where I needed them. Hope that helps!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:38am
post #4 of 17

Gosh, that's what most of my cakes are! 90% of the time I just brush a little water on the fondant piece to stick it to the buttercream. For heavier pieces, such as swags, I like to use gum glue.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:40am
post #5 of 17

Ok I have done a few cakes where I had attached fondant shapes to BC . My nephews 1st birthday cake in my gallery being one of them. I am not sure what the concern is but all I did was slap the shapes on, if the BC is a little too crusty Id just smear some wet BC on the back, or Id use vodka. These cakes were probably the easiest of all the cakes I have ever done. I was surprised to hear of others being concerned about this process as I did it without thinking twice about it, and had wonderful success.

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:41am
post #6 of 17

I've used all the methods mentioned before, plus you could use royal icing, extract, or anything liquid. It almost melts the fondant a little bit and makes it tacky. Sticks great!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:41am
post #7 of 17

I have a question about this too. I made hubby a super quick cake, slapped on some buttercream, and tried to put on fondant circles. Notice I said 'tried.' I couldn't get the fondant to lay smooth on the buttercream. I only had about 15 minutes to do this and probably wasn't that careful. Should I have used a crusting buttercream and then waited for it to crust before I attempted to put the fondant decorations on?

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:44am
post #8 of 17

Michelle, I've used non-crusting also. You'll have to push it into the icing just a little bit, plus the "glue" mentioned previously.

gourmettiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmettiger Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:49am
post #9 of 17

I do a lot of cakes frosted in buttercream with fondant accents. I just cut out the shapes (polka dots, etc.) from fondant, dab a little water on the back and put them on the crusted buttercream. It is easy and works great. You just have to be a little more careful when placing the accents on- since moving them after you put them on can mess up the buttercream.

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:49am
post #10 of 17

I have use the same thing ..

good luck icon_smile.gif

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:49am
post #11 of 17

I don't know if it's the correct way to do it, but I brushed on a little clear vanilla extract on the back of each fondant piece to attach it to the buttercream. You can see an example (25th Anniversary cake) in my pics. HTH.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:49am
post #12 of 17

Sorry to hijack!!

How do you get your fondant pieces to lay smooth? Is there a special trick or tool?

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:08am
post #13 of 17

MichelleM77, I don't use any special tool. I think the key is to not let your fondant pieces dry out while cutting out other pieces. Then they won't curl up.

I put the pieces I've already cut out in Press 'n Seal until I'm ready to use them. If you're going to put luster dust on the pieces, it's best to attach them to the cake first, then paint them. Otherwise, the luster dust comes off on your finger if you touch it.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 17

Michelle,
I also used the round ball flower shaping tool. I have no idea what it's offical name is but the tool that has a ball on each end. I ligthly rub that over the fondant peice. I also agreee with the advice above, don't let it dry first. HTH icon_smile.gif

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:46pm
post #15 of 17

My concern is that the BC cake will have fondant swags and I am afraid they will slide off or break away from the BC.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:09pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksmom

My concern is that the BC cake will have fondant swags and I am afraid they will slide off or break away from the BC.

This is fondant swags on bc. I transported these cakes with straight pins through each corner of the swag. Make sure you use pins with BRIGHT ROUND BALLS on the end so they're easy to see.
LL
LL

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 17

Wow those cakes are great!
I have had the chance to learn a lot from this post thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%