"faux" Icing To Use In Cake Decorating Bag?- So Fr

Decorating By OneWoman Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 12:22pm by Ladivacrj

OneWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneWoman Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:27am
post #1 of 7

I hope this is the correct spot to post this "plea", but I've looked absolutely everywhere and it seems as though I've tried everything. I think I'm ready to pull my hair out icon_cry.gif . I need a non-edible fake icing recipe - something that can easily be piped with a decorating bag. What I'm reading is that *lightweight spackling* needs to be used, and ohhh how I've tried that. It still seems to either clog up the tips or is way too runny. Does anyone know of a spackle-to-water ratio that actually works great? Or another household product that would work? Through trial and error I've learned that joint compound does *not* work (it shrinks and cracks) and I'm currently experimenting with regular heavy duty spackle though I suspect when it dries, it will probably crack, too. It piped really beautifully, though.

I have a family reunion coming up in a couple of weeks and my grandmother wants me to bring some of my faux candies to share with our relatives, but I'd really like to jazz up some of the chocolate pieces with some decorative icing. I feel like I keep taking one step forward and two steps back. After over a week of trying to get it right myself, I think I need some help from the experts now, hehe. I know this is done all the time and I just can't get the formula right. Any and all advice would be so appreciated...thank you!

6 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:10am
post #2 of 7
OneWoman Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:15am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the tip, Michelle, but I'm looking for something that contains no food products and that will dry hard and last forever, basically. Thanks again, though!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:18am
post #4 of 7

Oh, LOL!! How about tile grout? I think you can thin it out.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:20am
post #5 of 7

Perma Ice might be what your looking for....
http://www.bakingshop.com/cakes/permaice.htm
Perma-Ice is the ideal icing for decorating your dummy cakes, show cakes, ice cream displays and much more. Perma-Ice is a non-edible, artificial permanent icing specially formulated for creating beautiful display cakes. It is ready to use, can be colored with non-fading acrylic colors and is washable.
Perma-ice saves the time of repeatedly decorating dummy cakes and spares the frustration of having cakes damaged while in transit or on display. Many professional cake decorators are satisfied users of Perma-Ice to decorate their show cakes and display cakes.

OneWoman Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:56am
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I meant to post that the permaice solution is a little too pricey for me ($50 a gallon). Wish it were cheaper!

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 7

Try Plaster-of-Paris.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%