Help!!!! Royal Icing Flowers Wilting!!!

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 21 Sep 2006 , 11:21pm by auntiecake

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:17am
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone, here I am again in dire need of some quick advice. I made a batch of Wilton Royal tonight and wanted to make some roses so they dould dry for a cake I'm making tomorrow. However, evertime I start the second row of petals they are drooping and wilting so bad it just looks like a huge blob. the recipe calls for 6 tbsp of water or 5 tbsp if you want stiffer icing so I used 5 tbsp. Any advice??? TIA

11 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:26am
post #2 of 12

I would try adding some more confectioner's (icing) sugar. The water amount is actually quite variable. Also, the longer you beat it (at a fairly low speed, so you don't get air pockets), the thicker it seems to get. I think that part of that may be due to evaporation, but not all.

I think MissBaritone is pretty much the resident expert on RI, so maybe she will check in and give a much better answer than I.

RP

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:37am
post #3 of 12

Humidity can make a difference. Usually w/meringue powder it isn't quite as sensitive. You do need to beat it for 5 minutes or so till it becomes consistency to hold its shape. If that doesn't work add more powdered sugar and keep the bowl covered w/ damp cloth after you make it. It will crust quickly! Hope this helps!

lmn4881 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:39am
post #4 of 12

I beat it with my hand mixer for 10 mins..... would that make a difference? It said to beat on high for 10 - 12 mins....

lmn4881 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:00am
post #5 of 12

Gotta give myself a BUMP. I don't know if I should just pack it in for tonight and pray it works tomorrow or not.... howmuch icing sugar should I add then???

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:01am
post #6 of 12

If the petals melted as you were piping them then your icing was too thin. Adding cornstrach will help thicken it up.

If you petaled piped okay then started melting you probably didn't mix your icing long enough. Sometimes with a hand mixer I have had to mix it longer than I do with my stand mixer.

Did the icing in the bag feel thick or okay or was it thin?

lmn4881 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:09am
post #7 of 12

It was melting while I was piping. The bag felt thisk and I had to squeeze fairly hard to get it out but part of that might have been that it was starting to firm up in the bag a bit. How much corn starch should I be adding or should I add more icing sugar and if so how much then? This is my first time using Royal and I'm getting fairly discouraged.... should have stuck with buttercream I guess..... Thanks for any help guys I DO appreciate it a lot.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:13am
post #8 of 12

It sounds like it was too thin. On a stand mixer you should beat on low from 7-10 minutes, I use my paddle on my KA. I only add 5 Tbl of water. You should be able to peak it like a meringue only it will be stiffer. If the humidity is high it will definitely have an effect. Also make sure all the utensils and bowl are grease free. When you make your flowers they should stand well and not droop. You could add 1/2 cup extra or so PS to stiffen it up and use mixer just enough to incorporate and get out the lumps.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:17am
post #9 of 12

Don't give up!

If it felt thickish in the bag, then I'm thinking it wasn't mixed long enough. If it was too thin you can fill it, it is really easy to pipe with. What consistancy of buttercream would you have compaired it to in the bag?

Before you add more of anything to it, I'd mix it a little longer. When royal icing is completley mixed it should be matte and not shiny at all in apparence.

If you really think it is too thin because of too much water, then add about a tablespoon of so of cornstrach. A little less if it isn't too thin, may need more if it is. Stir it up and let it sit for a little bit, so that the cornstratch can asorb the extra liquid.

lmn4881 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks for all your help everyone. I packed it in last night and decided to start again this morning with a clear head. I'll give it another try and see how it goes.

bunit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunit Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 12

I have, too run into the droopy flower problem. Usually with b/c, but my problem is that my hands are so warm, that the icing melts in the bag before it hits the flower nail... what I ended up doing, was to buy some disposable chemical reaction cold pacs, and activating them as I begin. I hold the cold pack between my hand and the icing bag, and it seems to have solved the problem... your icing may be to thin, or your hands may just be too warm!! A pastry chef's worst nightmare- warm hands. Good luck! -B.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 12

Warm hands shouldn't make as much difference w/royal icing as w/buttercream. No grease, beat for 5-10 minutes or longer w/hand mixer Then if it is not holding its shape add a little powdered sugar at a time and beat again. With meringue powder you can rebeat, but w/fresh egg whites it won't work. Also if it gets too stiff just add a little more water. Humidity does make a difference also, especially if you use fresh egg whites. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%