I Posted This In Another Forum But No Reponse, Please Help!

Decorating By jessicacourtney1 Updated 28 Jul 2007 , 10:42pm by mannjc

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a mint chololate cake tonight that has to be delivered tomorrow night. im using Dougs buttermint bc. and now i need a great chocolate cake recipe that will not fall in the middle. im using the round part of a bake and fill pan (do have a ball pan so i figured it would work. and then im going to put the buttercream in the layers... so i need something that will stand up to the cake leveler and being stacked. please help, i cant handle another cake that sinks in the middle, and why is it only the chocolate ones that do???? TIA

>>> i just tried one a little while ago and what do you know, it sank in the middle(boo!)

8 replies
pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 9

assuming you are baking from scratch...if you have a container of hershey's cocoa use their chocolate cake recipe on the back it is very good rises a little too well and certainly doesnt sink in the middle

jessicacourtney1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 9

thank you, im a box doctorer, lol. but thanks for the first response i have had all day!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:20am
post #4 of 9

I've never made it, but people here swear by the WASC cake for carving or stacking. I know it's white almond sour cream cake, but if you are a cake doctorer, could you maybe add some chocolate to it?

Don't know, but it might work...

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:41am
post #5 of 9

This is the BEST chocolate cake I have ever had- My grandmother has been making it for over 50yrs (there are many versions of this same cake out , this is my fav)
It is SO moist- it doesn't dry out like box cakes can. thumbs_up.gif

3 cups flour (cake flour works best)
2 cups sugar
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup oil
1 t. vanilla
2 T. vinegar
2 cups water

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the wet ones, and mix until smooth. Prepare pan(s) by greasing and flouring lightly. Pour into 24 cupcake pans, two 9-inch pans, or one 9X11-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes (cupcakes), 30 minutes (9-inch) or 50 minutes (9X11). Test with a toothpick to make sure it is done all the way through. Cool. Ice with favorite frosting.

HTH

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:11am
post #6 of 9

best tasting doctored box mix i've had is the darn good chocolate cake (you can find it in the recipes section on this site)

hope i'm not responding too late i know the cake is due tonight! good luck!!

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacourtney1

thank you, im a box doctorer, lol. but thanks for the first response i have had all day!

pardon my ignorance, but what is a "box doctorer"? Is that when you change the box directions/ingredients???

jessicacourtney1 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 9

yes, I use white cake mix as my base and then change it up. my fav. is to add an extra egg and replace the water with liquid coffee creamer, the creme brulee is great!

mannjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannjc Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 9

I love the darn good choc as well and have not had a problem with it falling...good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%