Can You Soften Butter In Micro For Buttercream?

Decorating By Krisy Updated 21 Sep 2006 , 7:54pm by toristreats

Krisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krisy Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 22

Or is this a HUGE no-no??

Just trying to get moving. I'm a newbie and had to run out and buy my butter today.

Thanks,
Krisy

**Giving the Buttercream Dream a try...I have never made my own frosting before. Well except for some major basic sugar cookie frosting.

21 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 22

I wouldn't do it for something like that. You'd have to be VERY careful to get the butter soft but not melted.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 22

Yes! I do it all the time!

My formula is 1 minute per pound on power level 2 (Defrost), turn over, and 1 more minute per pound on power 2. If I'm doing less than a pound, say 1 or 2 sticks, I'll do 30 seconds per side on power 2. Just be careful not to get it too soft icon_smile.gif .

Amber

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 22

MAYBE on 40-50% power for a few seconds at a time. I've heard of people grating their cold butter on a cheese grater if they don't have time to sotfen it, but haven't tried it myself.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 22

I agree with mbelgard - very tricky. Better not to risk it. I've found that if I preheat my oven (I have a range) the top part between the burners just gets slightly warm and I can speed up the process of getting butter to room temperature if I put the sticks on it - just like a minute on each side. Sounds weird but in a time pinch, it works!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 22

I use my defrost button.........I usually do 1 min. for 2 sticks........30 seconds, flip 30 seconds.......depends on how cold it is too.........so take it easy, every microwave is different too.

bovaritter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bovaritter Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 22

I do the same as Awolf24. I tried to mic it once and it got too soft.
Good luck!

mistybp99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistybp99 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 22

Yes you can def do this! thumbs_up.gif
I work for a company who manufactures microwaves and our suggestion for melting butter in the microwaave is place the butter on a dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave at 10% power for 10-20 seconds per tablespoon

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 22

I did this very thing on Monday night when I made the Buttercream dream.

I placed one stick of butter in the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% Power. I checked it every 10 seconds. I poked it with a fork to see the texture.

It worked for me thumbs_up.gif

Just keep your eye on it!!

Krisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krisy Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks ladies.
I put it on the lowest setting and kept poking it.

Thanks again!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 22

I do it all the time. I put the sticks in for 3 seconds then turn them over if needed and do another 2 seconds.

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 2:12am
post #12 of 22

I also do this all the time I put them in for 15 seconds then check them and roll them over and keep doing it until they feel soft icon_smile.gif

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:39am
post #13 of 22

I microwave my butter all the time. Sometimes I get it right, and then other times, I leave it in too long and it gets too melted. I sometimes have to put it in the freezer for awhile, but sometimes it still makes my bc too soft. Just be very careful and keep a watch on it. Thanks for all the tips everyone!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:49am
post #14 of 22

Instead of microwaving it...I speed the process along by cutting each stick into pats....like probably 20 or so per stick so that they are very thin and then can warm up faster.......

It really doesnt take that long for it to soften up that way....

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 22

Pound it a few times with a rolling pin. I learned this from Julia Child.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 22

you would have to watch it really well. what i do is put the butter in the mixer bowl and fill it with tap water. im in jamaica so my tap water is not cold like in the states. it softens the butter pretty quickly.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 5:53pm
post #17 of 22

I always put the butter & shortening into a plastic bowl & mike for 29 seconds. Each & every time! No problems!

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:05pm
post #18 of 22

I never use the microwave to soften my butter... it's just too scary for me to attempt!! icon_eek.gif (and I refuse to have a microwave in my house when I move out...too much scary stuff)

I cut up my butter into small cubes, like 2cm x 2cm, and leave them on the counter for a bit. If I'm pressed for time, I cut the butter into cubes again, put them in a plastic zip-lock bag, and immerse them in a bowl of warm water.

mistybp99 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:07pm
post #19 of 22

can I ask why you are afraid of a microwave?

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:27pm
post #20 of 22

It's another form of radiation that we expose ourselves to, and I choose to eliminate that from my life. Clearly, I do use and own a computer, but I do limit my usage. It's really scary all the stuff that's 'floating' around in the air these days. To some, it may seem a little eccentric, but I'm an eccentric with a physics degree icon_smile.gif

mistybp99 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:49pm
post #21 of 22

but from someone who works with microwaves on a daily basis I can tell you that it is safe. Our engineers do all kinds of microwave leakage tests so it's not something to be scared of.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:54pm
post #22 of 22

I soften butter in the microwave all the time, mostly because I forget to take it out of the freezer. The butter I use has a paper wrapper on it so I leave that one and zap it at 10 seconds at a time. It works pretty nicely and keeps it from splattering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%