Burned Out Another Mixer!!!!!

Decorating By prettysweet Updated 4 Nov 2006 , 3:30am by CakemanOH

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 5:51am
post #31 of 49

Charb31.....open up a target visa and get another 10% off of that price. Don't let it get away from you.
I have the 600 pro series...got it several years ago at Linens and things...I think I paid 198.00 for it with the coupon they had out at the time. http://www.kitchenaid.com/custserv/experience.jsp is a website of the shop in Greenville, OH for Kitchen aid. I told my sisters I wanted another bowl for my mixer so one of them was checking online and said they were about 50 or so bucks plus 12 for s/h too boot. She called KA experience and got the bowl for less plus anything over 30.00 is free shipping. She talked to the lady there on a tues afternoon and had the bowl on Wed (next day).

Check it out.....
I think I am road tripping there this morning......

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:03am
post #32 of 49

Well, I did it! I added up all my mad money, took the change canister ad cashed it in, and jumped. icon_surprised.gif I went back to the super target, and there was only 1 left!! icon_eek.gif I wanted to double check, and at the end of the aisle there was a scanner to check prices. You guessed it, it scanned at 299.99. There was a red tag on the box, and I thought, man, are we gonna have a fight on our hands!! I took it up to register, and sure enough, it rang up the 299.99, and I told the girl to call a MGR. He came over and I showed him the tag, needless to say he wasn't happy, the tag was to go on another item, NOT the KA artisan..soo woooohooooo I got me a KA 5qt artisan for $100.00! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I was literally shaking as I counted out my money. When we got to the car, I literally cried. I'm sooooo happy!!

BTW....the girl who checked me out, said it must have been something great, this was the 3rd mixer today she saw leaving the store.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:36am
post #33 of 49

Okay, ladies, I'm with all of you about buying a KA. I've got a great story about this one, though. About 1 month ago, my KA (which I bought about 14 years ago as a refurb. from an outlet catalog, and has served me so well) finally died. Right in the middle of making a wedding cake (of course). What to do???? There was NO extra cash in the kitty that week. No extra mixer in the house. What to do?????

Well, I went online to e-bay (a girl's best opportunity to get a new one quickly and affordably), I found two to watch with low prices and short auctions. I bid on one, but didn't get it. Before I left work that day, I chaecked ONE LAST TIME to see if I was missing anything.

Sure 'nuf, I was. There was a used one about 2 hours away from my home. The owner was letting it go because she had changed her kitchen decor and the color just didnt' go with what she now had. icon_sad.gif She was only asking a $75 minimum bid.

Dilemma time: do I bid on a 2nd mixer (the first auction wasn't done for about 6 more hours), or not? If I bid, just my luck, I'll get both of them, and wouldn't have enoung $$ for that. If I don't bid, I won't get either.

Meantime, I borrow dear daughter's hand mixer to finish my weedding cake. An interesting experience and a story for another time ........

Next day, I check back. Didn't win the mixer I had bid on. BUT, the privately-owned, used mixer NEVER GOT A BID!!! icon_biggrin.gif So, I send an e-mail with all the sordid details about my needs and what had happened to me and how I was in the middle of making a wedding cake AND had another to do next week AND an order for 10-1/2 dozen cutouts the following week. That I was delivering my wedding cake that Saturday to a point about mid-way between her home and mine, and would she mind a cash transaction where she didn't have to box up the mixer and haul it to the post office and wait for a check to come and clear the bank? Would she be willing????????

I waited patiently on pins and needles and was THRILLED when she e-mailed me back and said I could have her mixer for the $75!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

My hubby knows I've burned up my share of mixers (probably 5 or 6 in the 9 years we'd been married BEFORE my KA that just died, not to mention the multitude I wrecked of my mother's before that!!!), and he was more than happy to let me take extra $$ out of the household funds that week to drive an extra hour there and another hour back BEYOND the delivery distance for my wedding cake, just so I could have a great KA mixer. We're all really happy with our new baby, and I expect it will last us another 15 or so years.

On the plus side, this one is same size as my old one, so until I get the old one fixed (while I AM plannign to do, if it's possible), I've at least got an extra bowl, paddle and whip for it. Makes those multiple-step projects go even quicker .... We're all so happy!!!!!! Wouldn't trade my KA for anything.

ellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellers Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 3:15am
post #34 of 49

Speaking about KA's passing on...

We had a KA, from the old school, with a Hobart motor. It lasted us over 25 years!

It has been five years now since we bought the new 6qt. professional mixer from KA and we are already on our second one! Every time I mix some frosting, or mix any cake batter, the mixer screams and tells me that it is having a super hard time. My favorite is when it will change speeds on me...

And we are not even talking about MMF which just made my mixer go to sleep and stop working...

So my next mixer purchase is going to be a Hobart G-d willing!

momamyra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momamyra Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:37am
post #35 of 49

We bought a KA stand mixer about 2 years ago and it has worked fine. I use it at least once a week sometimes as many as 3-4 times a week for cakes for family and friends. The only problem I have had is the pin that holds the head to the stand keeps coming out part way and I guess would come out all the way if I didn't watch it. I keep something to hammer it back in when I use it. I wrote to KA and they told me just hammer it back in. I guess that wasn't the answer I was looking for since the thing cost about $250.00. Other wise it works fine.

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:40am
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by aobodessa

Okay, ladies, I'm with all of you about buying a KA. I've got a great story about this one, though. About 1 month ago, my KA (which I bought about 14 years ago as a refurb. from an outlet catalog, and has served me so well) finally died. Right in the middle of making a wedding cake (of course). What to do???? There was NO extra cash in the kitty that week. No extra mixer in the house. What to do?????

Well, I went online to e-bay (a girl's best opportunity to get a new one quickly and affordably), I found two to watch with low prices and short auctions. I bid on one, but didn't get it. Before I left work that day, I chaecked ONE LAST TIME to see if I was missing anything.

Sure 'nuf, I was. There was a used one about 2 hours away from my home. The owner was letting it go because she had changed her kitchen decor and the color just didnt' go with what she now had. icon_sad.gif She was only asking a $75 minimum bid.

Dilemma time: do I bid on a 2nd mixer (the first auction wasn't done for about 6 more hours), or not? If I bid, just my luck, I'll get both of them, and wouldn't have enoung $$ for that. If I don't bid, I won't get either.

Meantime, I borrow dear daughter's hand mixer to finish my weedding cake. An interesting experience and a story for another time ........

Next day, I check back. Didn't win the mixer I had bid on. BUT, the privately-owned, used mixer NEVER GOT A BID!!! icon_biggrin.gif So, I send an e-mail with all the sordid details about my needs and what had happened to me and how I was in the middle of making a wedding cake AND had another to do next week AND an order for 10-1/2 dozen cutouts the following week. That I was delivering my wedding cake that Saturday to a point about mid-way between her home and mine, and would she mind a cash transaction where she didn't have to box up the mixer and haul it to the post office and wait for a check to come and clear the bank? Would she be willing????????

I waited patiently on pins and needles and was THRILLED when she e-mailed me back and said I could have her mixer for the $75!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

My hubby knows I've burned up my share of mixers (probably 5 or 6 in the 9 years we'd been married BEFORE my KA that just died, not to mention the multitude I wrecked of my mother's before that!!!), and he was more than happy to let me take extra $$ out of the household funds that week to drive an extra hour there and another hour back BEYOND the delivery distance for my wedding cake, just so I could have a great KA mixer. We're all really happy with our new baby, and I expect it will last us another 15 or so years.

On the plus side, this one is same size as my old one, so until I get the old one fixed (while I AM plannign to do, if it's possible), I've at least got an extra bowl, paddle and whip for it. Makes those multiple-step projects go even quicker .... We're all so happy!!!!!! Wouldn't trade my KA for anything.

Way to go! EBay rocks at times. I lucked out recently and got a double oven (one is convection) on EBay for $400. (Retails for $2300.) The seller forgot to put a reserve price on it and his starting bid was $399. Had it been an individual I'd probably not taken advantage, but the seller was an upscale appliance store in Sarasota, Fl.

It pays to watch EBay. thumbs_up.gif

mcollins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcollins Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:59pm
post #37 of 49

I have a GE Stand Mixer. My MIL bought it at Wal-mart as a bday present for me. It's lasted through 4 hard years of cake making and still works like a charm. I don't think they make them anymore but wanted to attest that there are decent mixers out there that aren't KA.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:07pm
post #38 of 49

I would definitely splurge on the kitchen aid! Look out for sales or check ebay. I would only get one from ebay if it says it is already sealed, never opened. I have a sunbeam that my future sister in law gave to me b/c she got a kitchen aid and didn't want the sunbeam anymore. I tend to use my mom's kitchen aid because I like it so much more.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:05pm
post #39 of 49

I have a 4qt (?)KA that is over 20 years old and still works like a charm!! Now mind you - I killed my Mom's NEW 6qt KA making MMF - cracked the PLASTIC motor housing icon_eek.gif , cost about $60 to fix. but still!

Also just bought the 7qt DeLonghi, Paid about $250 on a great website - love it, but still cracked the METAL attachment that holds the beater on - again making MMF! Needless to say I will just buy my fondant from now on, even though I love working with the MMF. I have a rotator cuff injury and can't do it by hand.

So I even though I love my new mixer (sits on the counter next to my Old Faithful) I wish I had gone with a true professional mixer. Still on the lookout for one! So if anyone knows of one that will handle the MMF please let me know! Also heard about making it in a breadmaker - but can you make a large batch in one?

Congrats on your new KA! You will love it!

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:13am
post #40 of 49

I have never had that happen.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:32am
post #41 of 49

SweetResults,

Are you willing to share the website where you got the sweet deal on the DeLonghi?

Pretty please!!!!!!

SweetResults Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:20pm
post #42 of 49

Sure!
http://www.thenewconnection.com/

Their Customer Service was great when I broke mine. I could not find my receipt. They found it, emailed it to me, found a repair shop close by and confirmed that it was covered under my warranty.

Totally my own fault I broke it, I really kind of knew I was working it too hard and pressed my luck. I won't let it happen again and am just so glad it is covered! Maybe I am just adding too much sugar to my MMF and that is what is killing it? Along with not dumping it out of the mixer and finishing off by hand of course icon_rolleyes.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:44pm
post #43 of 49

I have a Viking 7 1/2 quart 1000 watt mixer. It's a machine.

SweetResults Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:55pm
post #44 of 49

Oooh CakemanOH!!

Sounds super - where did you pick that one up? Even with my KA and DeLonghi I am jealous!

CakemanOH Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:58pm
post #45 of 49

My Wife ordered it online for me at Cutlery and More. It was 499.95.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:24pm
post #46 of 49

I had a GE mixer I'll call it a hand mixer. it came with a stand & could go either way. Anyway. I was making B/C this past weekend. you guessed it. I smelled a stinch then, the beaters acted as if they were locked. My husband went to Wally World & bought a Hamilton Beach. It started to do the same thing. Well, I finally got done with the B/C & told my DH I want to search for a professional mixer like I used when I worked for Winn-Dixie. That thing was huge. It sat on a floor stand. I want one. I have no idea what brand it is. I am saving up money, then I'm going to my local store that sells 'professional" kitchen stuff.

ellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellers Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:15pm
post #47 of 49

Okay, the Viking 7 quart mixer is on my wishlist. Do you like it? Does it work better than the kitchenaid? Also, do you have any of the grater attachments as well?

I am so excited to read that someone else has it. can't wait to read your reviews!

Ellers

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:46pm
post #48 of 49

Thanks SweetResults!!!!

CakemanOH Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:30am
post #49 of 49

I bought the Viking because my KA was not big enough. I wanted a stronger and bigger mixer than KA could provide so after a lot of research I decided on Viking. I do everything with this mixer except bathe and sleep. I do not have the fun grinders or anything yet but for my mixing needs it is awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%