Sample Cakes, Sample Cakes...

Business By cakesbyamym Updated 20 Sep 2006 , 2:15pm by BakeQueen

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 6

About a month ago, I made a "resolution" to deliver no less than 2-3 sample cakes to businesses per week. Well, until last week, I'd really had no response (as far as orders) from the samples. So, I'm calling around last week, and end up taking two orders from two seperate businesses when I called to offer them the sample cake! I was on a high after this, thinking that FINALLY my ship was coming in. I'm also donating a LOT of cakes, as well. I did one last week for Habitat for Humanity. I have another big cake for the local Breast Cancer Survivor Celebration in October (for 150 people.) I realize that I'm discouraged quickly and too easily. I suppose that I just want reassurance that this business does take time, and word of mouth will travel. Word of mouth is probably 90% of my business anyway. So, any suggestions on what else can do to drum up business? I'm not yet legal and can't "officially" advertise.

Thanks!
Amy

5 replies
BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 6

I started the same way. I sent sample cakes to my hubby's job, took samples to work with me, donated to my church, and just recently I volunteered one for the Booster Club at my son's high school. Once people see and taste your work the word gets around quickly. I now have quite a bit of word of mouth business to keep my busy on the side. I also have become the resident cake lady for my co-workers children. Just keep baking and they will come!

CrystalsCakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalsCakes5 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:58am
post #3 of 6

I too am not legal yet. I am actually just beginning.
I am going to also give away cakes and so on.

Are any of you scared that someone might turn you in? I am so worried that as soon as I get a real paid order that it will be to the wrong person!!!

Like say you donate to the school and someone calls you and wants to order something, I would be so embarrassed for me and my children if someone from school or a parent turned me in.

Do you guys just hope that doesnt happen?

I know, I'm a WORRY WART. Sorry

BakeQueen Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 6

CrystalsCakes5,

I think all us home bakers keep this thought in the back of our minds. I have been looking around for an alternate solution to this. Maybe using a church kitchen, or even sharing a space with someone who already has a commercial kitchen. I have even started looking around for an cheap space to rent. In the meantime, I work in my small circle hoping to save enough to make my dream a reality of becoming legal.

CrystalsCakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalsCakes5 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks. I guess its just one of those things we just have to deal with for now.

Good Luck to us all!!

BakeQueen Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 6

Good luck and Great Baking!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%