White Frosting Without Shortening?

Decorating By beckty Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 2:14am by caprica

beckty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckty Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all!

I am doing my first wedding cake in a few weeks, and working out the little issues right now. I may be back with more questions. So far, I LOVE this site. So many answers!

So, is there a good white wedding cake icing/frosting that does not contain shortening? The bride is interested in avoiding creamed crisco if possible. icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you in advance

Becky

6 replies
berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 7

Really, your icing will be very closely white if you use butter instead of crisco. Look at my Blues Clues cake - that is butter AND colored vanilla and it still is white. I don't like fake vanilla either, but that is where you get MOST color - the vanilla - just avoid that and you should be good.

Melissa

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 7

have you tried Rich's Bettercream or Pastry Pride/Frostin' Pride? they are white white, and they taste a lot like whipped cream.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 7

I don't think it's the taste the bride is not wanting (could be reading it wrong), but doesn't like the IDEA shortening and the like. I know my customer base LOVES that I don't use shortening and fake vanilla and the like.

Melissa

beckty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckty Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you! Yes, it was more the fact of the shortening than the taste. And I've never heard of the Rich's bettercreme. I'll have to check into it.

However, at the last minute the bride is switching to an ivory color, so that's that.

I made a cake with half butter/half shortening last night. It did turn out whiter than I expected. I think in the case of needing a truly white cake, I wouldn't be comfortable using it. But it sure did taste good and the consistency was perfection!

Thank you!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 7

Even if you use butter you can add a touch of violet coloring to take off the yellow. Like a dot at a time in your icing so you don't turn it purple...you would be amazed at the results!

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:14am
post #7 of 7

Hi, here is one that is really good. Lots of people have allergies to milk, so I almost always use this one- no one has complained.

Ingredients

1/2 cup soy margarine, softened
1/4 cup soy milk, rice milk, or other
3 cups Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla (or flavoring of choice)

Using an electric mixer or in a large bowl with a hand held mixer, place the soy margarine and soy milk, and cream them together.

Add half of the sugar, and beat well to combine.

Add the remaining ingredients and continue to beat the mixture until light and fluffy.

For a Chocolate Frosting, add 1/2 cups cocoa powder.

For a Coffee Frosting, substitute cold coffee or espresso for the soy milk in the recipe.

For a Mocha Frosting, substitute cold coffee or espresso for the soy milk in the recipe and add 1/4-1/3 cup cocoa powder.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

www.veganmania.blogspot

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%