Edible Image...update!!!!

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 30 Sep 2006 , 9:20am by nickdrewnjaysmom

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 39

Hi Everyone, it's me again icon_lol.gif

On Sunday, I started the thread about the Edible Imagining because I am getting one (still doing the happy dance) and you all where so kind in helping me...thanks so much.

Here is the link
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-42054-edible.html+imaging

I contacted KopyKakes yesterday and spoke with Laura (she's really nice) and was given the following information about the Epson and the Canon printers:

Epson:

1. The Epson cartridges can be refilled without having to purchase a
new cartridge after about two to three refills because they do not
have sponges.

2. You don't have to purchase the cleaning kit because you just use the
regular printing ink that comes with the printer to clean it. The regular
ink will not contaminate the machine because you are just cleaning the
printer not printing with it.

3. No clogging problems because the cartridges do not have sponges.

4. You have to have the Chip Re-setter because when you refill, you
have to use the chip to reset the cartridge.

5. KopyKake uses the Epson CX7800 themselves to do edibles.

The following printers can be used:

C88, C5800F, CX3800, CX3810, CX4200, CX4800, CX7800

Canon:

1. Have to purchase the cleaning kit.

2. Can only refill the cartridges approximately three times and then you
have to purchase new ones.

3. More clogging problems because the cartridges have sponges.

Both the Epson and the Canon Printers must be new and have the original ink cartridges that come with the printers.

They will continue to carry the ink for the Canon ip3000 and ip4000.

Here is the phone number: 1-800-999-5253; Laura's ext. is 28.

I hope this information helps you as it did me thumbs_up.gif

38 replies
cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 39

thanks for the info!!! I just got a c88+ (DH said that the guy at compusa said it uses the same cartridges as the c88, so I must be safe, yes?) and am going to order the inks and stuff from kopykake soon.
yippee!

stephanie214 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 39

Congrats, I can't wait to get one icon_cry.gif

cryssi Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 39

when are you getting yours?

stephanie214 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 39

I'm bidding on ebay for the Epson. I have about 30 in my watching list...hopefully, I'll get one icon_cry.gif

I have a price range that I'm trying to stay within.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 39

I purchased an Epson CX5800F at Staples last weekend. It was the last one in the box that they had. I haven't opened it yet because I have been undecided whether to return it and hold out for a Canon or not.

Quote:
Quote:

2. You don't have to purchase the cleaning kit because you just use the
regular printing ink that comes with the printer to clean it. The regular
ink will not contaminate the machine because you are just cleaning the
printer not printing with it.

I don't understand that. Why would that not contaminate the printer? Wouldn't the ink still get into it whether you're printing or not? Do they have cleaning cartridges for the Epson?

I have another week to make a decision on keeping the Epson or not. Maybe I should just flip a coin? Good luck stephanie214, I hope you win the bid!

stephanie214 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:19am
post #7 of 39

Hi Price,

I was confused to when she stated this. She did explain it but I really can't remember all that she said but from my rememberance, it would be safe. She was telling me so much and I was trying to write everything down as she was talking...I need to relearn my shorthand icon_lol.gif

From my understanding from her, you don't have to clean often because the cartridge is spongeless so no clogging and they do not have a cleaning kit for the Epson.

This is really giving me a headache icon_cry.gif

Price Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 1:53am
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

This is really giving me a headache

Ditto on that! lol. I have been wavering back and forth on what to do. One minute I'm returning the Epson and getting a Canon and the next minute I'm ready to order the ink for the Epson. I hate making decisions!

stephanie214 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:19am
post #9 of 39

Price,

I'm with you icon_confused.gif but I think that I will go with the Epson since KopyKake uses one.

Now, to find one in my price range icon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gif

cryssi Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 39

are you looking for the all in one, or just a regular printer? I got my c88+ on clearance (our compusa is closing) for 59 or something like that...I don't need a fancy all in one, though...

Price Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 39

I have all ready purchased an Epson CX5800F. it is an all in one. I decided to go with the all in one, because if in the future, I decide that I really don't want to use it for edible images, I will use it for my regular printer

I'm thinking since I already have the Epson (still in the box, haven't opened it yet) I might just keep it. Tomorrow I'll probably change my mind again! lol

stephanie214 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 39

I want the All In One. I have the Lexmark All In One and have a lot of problems with the color cartridge plus they are so expensive.

With the Epson as Price said, I can convert back to the regular ink and I love the individual cartridges.

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 39

I have the Epson C88 and it works great. I haven't had any trouble so far with it. I love edible imaging.

cryssi Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 39

hi stephanie! I JUST placed my order for inks and frosting sheets!!! woo hoo! should get them by Friday! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:25pm
post #15 of 39

Sooooo. would you say that if you got the edible image printer than you wouldn't need the projector? And neither of those will do what the airgun does, right?

cryssi Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:38pm
post #16 of 39

I will probably eventually convince DH that I need an airbrush...LOL

Unless you're doing really large stuff and/or have a lot of time, I don't think you'd need the projector. the printer is easier b/c you would just edit your images on the computer like you normally would, and just print like you were printing anything else...you can get whatever effect on your cake/cookies that you can manage in photoshop or any other graphic program...

umfalcon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umfalcon Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:45am
post #17 of 39

Stepanie214 you are a lifesaver!!!!

I have been waivering back and forth and I think I'm going to go with the Epson. I read in another discussion that the reason you can switch the inks in the Epson is because the print head does not hold the ink, like the cannon does.

Those of you using the Epson, how is the quality?

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 1:53am
post #18 of 39

OMG...I just bought the Epson 88+ and the quality is excellent. Especially for the $$$$. I made the spiderman icing plaque on this cake with it. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!!
LL

cryssi Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 5:25am
post #19 of 39

NICE Berl! thumbs_up.gif

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 5:46am
post #20 of 39

Well I have a Canon and I love IT! lol No problem with clogging.....have used Canon printers for years with refill inks. New EMPTY tanks can be purchased easily. Seems the info varies alot depending upon who has what to make a buck off of! LOL It's the NEW canon's that might pose a problem with their chips or whatever.

stephanie214 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 7:26am
post #21 of 39

Berl,

Thats a fantastic Spiderman cake.

Hopefully, I'll get my set up today...come on UPS and FEDEX and deliver icon_lol.gif

stephanie214 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 7:12pm
post #22 of 39

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif HAPPY DANCE, HAPPY DANCE icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just received my order from Kopykake...oh yeah!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Down-side, my printer is stuck in Kansas icon_cry.gif ...some problem with them not being able to read the label; I should receive it on the 30th.

The printer was shipped from NY. Why, oh why, did they have to send it through Kansas; NY is only like six hours from me...dah!!

cryssi Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:11pm
post #23 of 39

congrats! I just received my ups tracking info saying that my scheduled delivery is tomorrow!

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 12:48am
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by umfalcon

Stepanie214 you are a lifesaver!!!!

I have been waivering back and forth and I think I'm going to go with the Epson. I read in another discussion that the reason you can switch the inks in the Epson is because the print head does not hold the ink, like the cannon does.

Those of you using the Epson, how is the quality?

Quality of my Epson C88 is great. I just made a LV purse cake today, actually drew and coloured the logos onto a sheet of white paper, scanned it into the Kopycake Design program and printed them out as edible images. I covered the cake with the printed frosting sheets. Turned out great!

stephanie214 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:36am
post #25 of 39

Boy, just think, if I had received my printer today, I wouldn't have to do these two football helmets as FBCTs for a cake due tomorrow icon_cry.gif .

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:42am
post #26 of 39

Awesome cake! I want a printer!!! icon_cry.gif

stephanie214 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:30pm
post #27 of 39

Okay, I just did an update with FedEx and my printer is on the truck for delivery today... oh boy!!!

Now, my question is this; on the instruction sheet for the icing sheets it states to remove backing from sheet before printing, should I do this or not?

TIA thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:42pm
post #28 of 39

IHO, no. The sheets are fragile enough when you are applying to the cake, I can't imagine trying to put them through the printer without the backing.
Janice

stephanie214 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:54pm
post #29 of 39

Thanks Janice!! thumbs_up.gif

How are things going with you?

umfalcon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umfalcon Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:33pm
post #30 of 39

Who did you order the icing sheets from??? I know Kopykake appears to be everyones fav, but has anyone ordered from icingimages.com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Okay, I just did an update with FedEx and my printer is on the truck for delivery today... oh boy!!!

Now, my question is this; on the instruction sheet for the icing sheets it states to remove backing from sheet before printing, should I do this or not?

TIA thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%