Coloring Fondant

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 28 Jul 2007 , 1:53pm by mannjc

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone..

I'm fairly new to cake decorating, but I have a quick question.
I see everyone here has fondant cakes that are red, green, pink, etc.

How do you get your fondant that color? Is Fondant sold like that?
Please help me with this..

Thanks so much!!

12 replies
Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 13

fondant is sold in some colors, or you can just knead food coloring into it. If you color it yourself, use the americolor food coloring, it works best, and satin ice fondant is definitely easiest to color and work with. This is what I usually do. The only time I use precolored fondant is if I need a very dark or bold color, like bright red or dark brown.

Babarooskie Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie1686

fondant is sold in some colors, or you can just knead food coloring into it. If you color it yourself, use the food coloring, it works best, and satin ice fondant is definitely easiest to color and work with. This is what I usually do. The only time I use precolored fondant is if I need a very dark or bold color, like bright red or dark brown.

Thanks so much for your help!

bunnys26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnys26 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:

fondant is sold in some colors, or you can just knead food coloring into it. If you color it yourself, use the food coloring, it works best, and satin ice fondant is definitely easiest to color and work with. This is what I usually do. The only time I use precolored fondant is if I need a very dark or bold color, like bright red or dark brown.

How do I order Satin Ice Fondant and does it have a good taste to it?

Cassie1686 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 13

yes it is the best tasting fondant I think and the easiest to work with, I think most CCer's would agree . . . another good one is Fondx, but that is a little too rich tasting for me, let me get you a few links . . . . .

bunnys26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnys26 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:

yes it is the best tasting fondant I think and the easiest to work with, I think most CCer's would agree . . . another good one is Fondx, but that is a little too rich tasting for me, let me get you a few links . . . . .

Thanks

Cassie1686 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 13

http://www.caljavaonline.com/index.html

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/subcategory.aspx?T=1&CatId=532

http://www.cakedecostore.com/

I am not sure who has the best prices, I usually buy mine at the local cake decorating store. Good luck! Let us know if you have any other questions.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 13

If you color your own fondant, use plastic gloves (like the ones Wilton sells) to avoid having your skin tinted...

Babarooskie Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiET

If you color your own fondant, use plastic gloves (like the ones Wilton sells) to avoid having your skin tinted...

I know what you mean! I tried it once and it looked like I got into a fight with a green marker! LOL

Thanks for the tip!

jnikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnikki Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 13

I agree. I learned the hard way. It took a lot of scrubbing to get it off my hands.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 13

I always wear the coloring on my hands as a Badge of Honor. Why just last night I ran around the whole evening with my 'Lil Sis with a violet ring around my face where my airbrush mask didn't cover in order to photograph the cake I just created in her honor. She'd laugh and point out the color and sparkle. We were too busy having fun, she is a fabric sort of person and was fluffing all the lace for the photo and since I don't see her often (different states,) I didn't want to waste the time even to wash my face!

I don't think Wilton has a full face mask for me. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 13

Another Tinted Hand Gal over here! I found out the hard way that mixing black, blue, and purple colors in fondant to create a 'marbled' effect wasn't the best thing to do with ungloved hands icon_razz.gif!

Talk about scrubbing...whew! The worst thing was that I even had those gloves that Wilton sells...um, now I use them icon_rolleyes.gif!

mannjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannjc Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:53pm
post #13 of 13

I make my own mmf ( haven't tried the satin ice yet) and I add my color to the melted marshmallows before i add the powdered sugar...it makes life sooo much easier to do it this way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%