So, Tell Me What You Guys Would Do......

Decorating By auntsushi Updated 19 Sep 2006 , 5:40pm by bellejoey

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 16

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine from church (him and I are co-leaders of our singles group) - were talking about a dinner that is coming up - actually the dinner for a FOUNDATIONS class, where people come to learn about our church, etc, etc.....anyway, the church provides dinner for the people in the class since it starts at 6:00pm. I know that the church pays this guy to make the dinner (they pay him for the cost of the food and he donates his time). So, a few days ago, I say "hey I wouldn't mind making the desserts as I could use some practice making cakes". Okay, he says and I make two 1/2 sheet cakes (one chocolate with raspberry filling and chocolate frosting and one pistachio cake with creme filling and cream cheese bc frosting. Anyway, I had to work yesterday so he came to my house and picked up the cakes. No mention was made of paying me for the cakes. I didn't say anything to him because I was SURE he was going to ask me how much all the ingredients cost....and he hasn't. He called me last night raving about the cakes, how they were such a hit and there is NONE left. Hmmmmm. So....please help me think of a tactful way to ask him if I'm gonna get paid to do this or if I'm just "chaulking up points in heaven" as my good friend Tracey would say. LOL. I know, I know, I should have just said to him up front, "so, are they going to pay me to do this?" But, I didn't. I'll learn. I'm new at this.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Suzanne

15 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 16

Do you still have the receipts? How about making copies of them (to keep for your records - in case this doesn't work - you can write them off) and giving the receipts to him and tell him this is the amount for reimbursement. I face this all the time at my church. People just seem to assume that you are going to donate everything.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 16

Dearest Auntie..

Simple...next time you see him, hand him the bill! in a nice private envelope and a big smile on your face!

and a nice note or comment on how lovely it was for him to give you the chance and the nice comments!

Simple...

no fuss no muss..

Buuuuuuut......If he doesn't pay you, then he may have been under the impression that you just wanted the practice.

That's why EVERYTHING should be out front and discussed before we commit to turning on the oven!!!

lol

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 16

I think you volunteered to do the cakes so you are just going to accept heavenly points. If you ask to make the desserts it is completely different from being asked to make them.

NEVER volunteer to make desserts for church unless you just want the practice. Learned that the hard way myself. (I got burned out volunteering at church all of the time, so now I don't do anything unless I am asked.... and people do ask!)

Debbi

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 16

I think... that maybe you should live and learn.. Let it go.. ONLY the next time they have another " dinner ".. Don't say " Ill make the desserts".. Say " I would love to make the desserts again, except I need to know who is buying the ingredients?"
Good Luck

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 16

From the way you've worded your post, I interpreted that you were donating the cakes, especially since you said you needed the practice.

In means of getting paid for your efforts, I agree with Risque by handing him an envelope with a thank you and the bill. AND it is best to discuss payment or donation before you start baking!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 16

I also thought it sounded like you'd donated the cakes. I feel that you're going to have to chalk this one up to experience and next time say 'If you could cover the ingredient costs I'd be happy to spend time time making the cakes.' People think of cakes as being cheap to make but forget that icing and colourings etc. mount the costs up. You get a 'get into heaven free' card icon_wink.gif

sthrasher1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sthrasher1 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 16

Well I agree with Debbie you are getting extra heavenly points and you did volunteer, on a good note the church may ask you do make cakes and pay you now that they got a free sample, plus all those people that enjoyed you cakes will probably keep you in mind next time they need one for a special occasion. You might want to make buisness cards to hand out. And let it be known that you do make cakes for sale. Good luck

Alicandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicandra Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 16

Hi There -

I just had a friend suggest something that might provide a nice balance. Ask your friend the caterer if he has the church's tax ID number handy - he might ask why, then you can tell him that you want to deduct the cost of the ingredients as a tax deduction as a charitable donation. That might give him the hint that's needed... if he doesn't have the tax ID, and doesn't get the hint, ask someone in the church office for the ID # and submit the amount and receipt with your tax returns. That way, it doesn't leave you feeling conflicted or out of $$.

Good luck!

Ali in MA thumbs_up.gif

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 16

Well, you're right. I did volunteer to make the cakes, in lieu of HIM making the cakes and getting paid for them. Had I not "volunteered" to do it, he would have cooked the dinner AND the dessert and gotten paid for all of it. He makes a dessert with the dinner every week (this is a five week class). I have "volunteered" to make a dessert every week for this thing. And, almost as soon as I "volunteered", I thought for sure he'd say, "well, let me know how much everything costs you and I'll get the money since they pay ME too to make the dinner". Didn't happen.

Since he may have gotten the impression that I was doing this for free (I'm not sure why he would ASS-ume that since he gets paid to do his part and knows that I know that), I think I will say something to him before the next dinner (next Monday). Just sort of matter of factly "just wondering if I am buying all the stuff or the church is going to reimburse me" kind of thing. I'm willing to bet if *I* bring it up, I'll get paid. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, really, and maybe he is waiting until I say something, or waiting until all the desserts are done then will ask me how much it all costs. Anyway, I don't like to just think that they are NOT going to pay me if that is not the case.

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 16

That's a great idea, Alicandra!

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 16

I've had this happen before and I learned a valuable lesson! If they think you are practicing or donating - they will never volunteer any funds!

What I do now when they ask me:

I just tell them that I donate the first cake(s) so they know what to expect from me but will be charging for supplies the next time around. That way, they know ahead of time.

It has been widely accepted and I feel respected and appreciated.

Hope that helps!

Barbara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbara76 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 16

I think since you are making a cake a week for 5 weeks, you should just say to him "Am I getting reimbured for me cost after each cake, or at the end of the class?"

Barbara

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 16

Sorry, but it definitely sounds to me like you volunteered to do this. You should never assume people are going to want to pay you when you make an offer that great!

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:28pm
post #15 of 16

I'd probably say, "how do they usually handle reimbursement for ingredients? At the end of the 5-week class or each week?" That way he will know that you want to be reimbursed. At this point, you've done 2 1/2 sheet cakes. He still has the option to do deserts himself if it's a problem. Then, that's all you'd be out rather than 5 weeks worth of cakes!

Good Luck!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:40pm
post #16 of 16

I think that you just chalked up points in heaven. When a church mentions foundations or fundraisers, that means they are needing helping...giving...donating hands only. (hee..hee.) That happened to me a couple of times. Next time if you volunteer, you need to tell him that you are a business now, and you charge real money. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%