Slice My Cake...slice My Purse

Business By Iloveweddings Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 5:37pm by snarkybaker

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:03pm
post #61 of 64

You know, maybe this is a horse of a different color, but I often take cakes into decently nice restaurants ($15-$20/entree) and have never been charged per slice for a cutting fee. Some places charged $10, and granted, we didn't have a ton of people, but a set rate for dishes, etc. seems pretty fair.

While I agree that venues and restaurants have to cover their costs, it's strange to me that a small, nice place can "afford" to not charge so much for a cutting fee and large, fancy venues can't. I wonder how much profit this place is making off of all the other things you've booked for this event- the catering, the cake they don't have to make, etc. And I remember when I was a server and made minimum server wage of $2.13/hr. (though I always made substantially more than that because of tips, the restaurant only dished out that much for me, and I know, some banquet servers, etc, make more depending on a lot of factors, but so many servers don't).

It just seems like, overall, it would have been much better business, even if they weren't making the maximum profit, to waive the fee.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:45pm
post #62 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPTerror

You know, maybe this is a horse of a different color, but I often take cakes into decently nice restaurants ($15-$20/entree) and have never been charged per slice for a cutting fee. Some places charged $10, and granted, we didn't have a ton of people, but a set rate for dishes, etc. seems pretty fair.

While I agree that venues and restaurants have to cover their costs, it's strange to me that a small, nice place can "afford" to not charge so much for a cutting fee and large, fancy venues can't. I wonder how much profit this place is making off of all the other things you've booked for this event- the catering, the cake they don't have to make, etc. And I remember when I was a server and made minimum server wage of $2.13/hr. (though I always made substantially more than that because of tips, the restaurant only dished out that much for me, and I know, some banquet servers, etc, make more depending on a lot of factors, but so many servers don't).

It just seems like, overall, it would have been much better business, even if they weren't making the maximum profit, to waive the fee.

Here is the ugly truth of the matter. As someone who has spent a lifetime in this industry at luxury venues around the world, the customer that you care the absolute least about is the out of state bride and/or party who isn't Oprah Winfrey. There is really no incentive at all to give them discounts or special favors because they are almost certainly not a repeat customer. That is why if you go to place like Lakeland Florida everything costs a fortune. It's lovely and everyone wants to come and get married there, but how many are going to become regular customers ?

We wave fees for local non-profits, drug companies that host a lot of dinners, the local university and churches etc. I always work with a bride on cost if I like her. I have been known to half my prices for brides who had last minute expenses etc, but for the most part the best business decision is to invest your marketing dollars ( and discounting...ie: promoing is part of marketing) in repeat business not a one shot customer.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:49pm
post #63 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPTerror

Here is the ugly truth of the matter. As someone who has spent a lifetime in this industry at luxury venues around the world, the customer that you care the absolute least about is the out of state bride and/or party who isn't Oprah Winfrey. There is really no incentive at all to give them discounts or special favors because they are almost certainly not a repeat customer. That is why if you go to place like Lakeland Florida everything costs a fortune. It's lovely and everyone wants to come and get married there, but how many are going to become regular customers ?

We wave fees for local non-profits, drug companies that host a lot of dinners, the local university and churches etc. I always work with a bride on cost if I like her. I have been known to half my prices for brides who had last minute expenses etc, but for the most part the best business decision is to invest your marketing dollars ( and discounting...ie: promoing is part of marketing) in repeat business not a one shot customer.

and I'll ditto that with

and that's why of many (tho' not all) of those wedding palaces, fancy venues will cut the cost to close to in HALF for high school proms.

I flat out asked one owner why his venue (the one we finally chose) was soooo inexpensive compared to others.

his answer: future brides!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:37pm
post #64 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

and I'll ditto that with

and that's why of many (tho' not all) of those wedding palaces, fancy venues will cut the cost to close to in HALF for high school proms.

I flat out asked one owner why his venue (the one we finally chose) was soooo inexpensive compared to others.

his answer: future brides!

That is exactly the reason we have very reasonable valentines packages. The college aged guy can afford it, and later it's their first choice of wedding venue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%