Anybody Out There Advterise In The Knot?

Business By Cascades Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 6:44pm by beccakelly

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 12

I am interested in advertising in the Knot. Anybody have an add in the Knot? Has it worked well for you? I was quoted $120 a month. Does anybody pay this amount, if you do what kind of add do you get?

11 replies
authress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
authress Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 12

I got married last year and was addicted to the knot (an addiction I replacel w/ CC icon_wink.gif ). Most of the people I "met" relied much more heavily on their local boards and vendor reviews than the advertisements. I don't know anough about advertising to know if that is a deal or not, but I think you might be better off working the referral angle (and maybe providing a discount). You may also want to try the local wedding resources in your area. I live in a decent-sized city and there were only about 8 places listed on our biggest local wedding site. Good luck!

AshleyLuvsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLuvsCake Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 12

i dont advertise with them but a month ago I was looking for a venue and signed up with them. since then I have tried 4 times to unsubscribe and they will not take me off their list icon_mad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 12

Yep. I've been on there 3 years. I must be grandfathered in because I pay $85 for The Knot and as a promotion, I was added to PartySpot for only $15 more .... total monthly bill: $100.

I was on the Knot only for about 4 months, then added respond.com. Both of these sites have MORE than paid for themselves! I get much more from Respond.com, but I get enough from the Knot to justify the expense.

I pay an average of $200/month for respond.com (depending on the volume).

One of my brides found me via the Knot and she has sent 3 brides to me, via the chatrooms in the knot.

I have been more than happy with the results.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 12

I decided to look into it too.
I got a couple brides emailing for information. They said they got my info. from a recommendation from a Bride on the Knot.
I thought it might be worthwhile to advertise after getting a couple leads from a "knottie" recommended post. Good reviews from a bride say alot!
But, really in my area ~ there are very few local brides on there. I decided it was too much money to spend each month right now.
I do however advertise on the OneWed.com (it's 5.95 a month I believe). And for that they send you any leads from area brides that are already interested in your services. They do offer free ads that send Brides to your website. When I had a free ad, I got a Bride from her clicking on my website and emailing me. But, if they don't go through your website to contact you, if they use the OneWed contact button, like 2 of my brides did, then you have to sign up and start paying that fee if you want their information. I believe you can cancel at anytime however. I didn't think 5.95 was bad for 3 Wedding Referrals in 2 weeks...and I still have the possibility of more in the next couple of weeks for the same amount 5.95 total. You don't pay per lead, you pay the monthly fee. Just an idea for you. I would sign up under a free ad and see if you get any leads then start paying if it works for you.
BTW, they email you when they send a bride to your website. That's good to know. You can even check your website stats to see how many have come from onewed.com

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 12

when you mention "brides in your area", it reminded me of another advantage to The Knot.

Many brides are located across the country but are coming home for the wedding. Military, college, jobs .... whatever the reason, brides are trying to plan a long distance wedding.

I've worked with brides from Kentucky, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Chicago, Washington State and my longest distance bride was in the military in Japan ..... between her, a sister in Wisc and a mom in Chicago, we planned the whole thing via email! (so does that qualify me as working "international"? icon_lol.gif )

So while you may be under the impression that there aren't many brides in "your area', you don't want to neglect the ones who are not currently in your area, but may be looking for a vendor close to mom's house!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 12

That's very true about the brides in the area. I've found limited brides posting on the site for my area. I guess I was assuming that they were posting in the location of their Wedding. Thanks for the reminder...

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 12

glad to see this post! i just paid my money to get listed on the knot. im just doing the websites cause the print mag is way out of my budget. i got signed up with a summer special they were running, so im paying $84 per month which includes listing on www.theknot.com, www.weddingchannel.com and www.partyspot.com. some of the bigger wedding cakers in my area are listed there, so im hoping that if it works for them it will do something for me! im also going to advertise in the bride and groom planner, which is just in three cities right now but they are about to launch nationally. i've talked with people who are listed in their, and everyone except for 1 person was very happy with the results. my hope is that between these two i will get going strong for next summer. i looked into respond.com, but in my area there are no other wedding cake business's listed there. makes me wonder if any one from my area is actually looking on that website or not.

indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

. i looked into respond.com, but in my area there are no other wedding cake business's listed there. makes me wonder if any one from my area is actually looking on that website or not.

aaauuuggghhhhh!! What are you thinking!!!! icon_surprised.gif If there are no others listed in that category, that means when the bride requests info on cake decorators, YOU will be the only name they get!!!! YOU will be the only one responding to them with information! YOU are not battling for their attention among other decorators! You're in Cincinnati!! It's a big market!! Get in there!!!!

(can ya tell I get a little passionate sometimes? icon_cool.gif )

beccakelly Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If there are no others listed in that category, that means when the bride requests info on cake decorators, YOU will be the only name they get!!!! YOU will be the only one responding to them with information! YOU are not battling for their attention among other decorators! You're in Cincinnati!! It's a big market!! Get in there!!!!

(can ya tell I get a little passionate sometimes? icon_cool.gif )

its the constant battle in my head between what you said (i'll be the only one so no competition) and the thought that the reason no one lists there is because they didn't get any business from it. but, i guess at $15 per month it couldn't hurt to give it a try, its not like id be signing a contract. so i'll trust you debi icon_wink.gif , and try it for maybe 6 months and see what i get. that would only cost me $90 + how may responses i make. i've done far stupider things with $90 than advertise! LOL

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 12

Is advertising in these magazines only for "liscensed" bakeries?

beccakelly Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy729

Is advertising in these magazines only for "liscensed" bakeries?

if you're not legal and you advertise then you are greatly increasing your risk for getting caught and paying the fines, or whatever consequences are in your state. they don't ask if you are legal, they assume you are and leave it up to you to know whether or not you're following the rules.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%