Torting A Half-Sheet 2 Problems

Decorating By lapazlady Updated 20 Sep 2006 , 3:09pm by cakeladywalker

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 24

I just torted and filled a half-sheet. One problem is putting the top layer back on. Is there an easy way? I put my 2 hands under the layer and try to set it in the correct place. I usually have a mess and the bottom seems to have grown an extra 3/8 of an inch that has to be spackled. What's up with that? And how can I control or eleminate it?

23 replies
lizbuth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizbuth Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 24

Whenever I need to lay a "top" on another cake, I use an "extra" board.

I have several different sizes of those "cheap" (cardboard) cake boards lying around.

After torting, I slide the cake board between the two layers to "pick up" the top layer. Then I put all my fillings on and then gently slide the top layer back onto the cake. This works perfectly for me and I never break the top layer!! Hope this helps & make sense.

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 24

I use a flat cookie sheet (airbake) put wax paper over top and tape the wax paper to the side of it and then flip the top of the cake on there right side up. Then I slide it off onto the cake. Works really good. Sometimes it would be nice ot have another hand but usually I'm able to do it myself.

lapazlady Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 24

I too use the extra board, but when I try to slide the cake it seems to stick to the board. The idea of using wax paper, firmly attached, is certainly worth a try. I had thought of putting powdered sugar on the board as sort of a "runner" but that sure can make a mess. I'll give the wax paper a try, and look for an extra hand.

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 24

I torted a half-sheet last week and I used one of those flexible cutting mats to help slide it onto the board then again to help slide it back onto the top of the filling/cake.

HTH

bovaritter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bovaritter Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 24

I use a cake board too, and also tried the confectionery sugar thing....messy. I will try the paper thing too. it is always a tricky thing. I just invested in the large leveler because I can never cut straight with a knife!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 24

I made cheap "lifters" out of inexpensive clip-boards covered in contact paper...works well for moving cake layers, fondant, etc., and is easy cleanup. Janice

cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbuth

Whenever I need to lay a "top" on another cake, I use an "extra" board.

I have several different sizes of those "cheap" (cardboard) cake boards lying around.

After torting, I slide the cake board between the two layers to "pick up" the top layer. Then I put all my fillings on and then gently slide the top layer back onto the cake. This works perfectly for me and I never break the top layer!! Hope this helps & make sense.

Ditto*!*!* thumbs_up.gif

If I'm filling a 16in or larger & (have time). I freeze top, just enough to make it firm! icon_wink.gif

kbenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbenz Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 24

I too have had numerous problems torting my cake until I purchased the Kitchenware: Lift & Serve
#2125 $17.50 from Pampered Chef.
I saw a thread on torting a cake a couple weeks ago, and with a 16" cake in the works I too was worried about breaking the layers. I purchased the Lift & Serve and have been so impressed with the way it works. This past weekend I made a bottom layer for a wedding cake which was 16" I torted the cake and lifted it right off (and the cake was still warm)!!! There was absolutely no problems, I am one happy gal! icon_biggrin.gif

lapazlady Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 24

I love the idea of freezing the top layer. AND, I'm even going to have a freezer for my own use. Bought a new fridge for the house and I get to use the "old" one for cakes. WHOOPEE!!!

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 24

Yeah my husband is a machinist and I just got a flat piece of stainless steel that is thin that I put wax paper around then slide inbetween the two layers. it works really well, anything that is flat and stif enough like that, do you have an airbake or know a machinist? icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 24
imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I made cheap "lifters" out of inexpensive clip-boards covered in contact paper...works well for moving cake layers, fondant, etc., and is easy cleanup. Janice

That sounds interesting - do you have any pictures or instructions on how you did that?

veejaytx Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 24

These are just regular inexpensive clip-boards that are pretty thin, with a flat type spring on top (that would normally hold papers,) and I just covered two of them with regular contact paper, and left the paper holder clips on top, makes a sort of handle to hold on to. HTH Janice

Meant to say, I wrapped the board completely (except for clips at the top) in the contact paper, so it is smooth and waterproof.

lapazlady Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 24

I just looked at the PamperedChef Lifter. Now I understand what was meant by using the two thin clip boards, Veejaytx, you are one clever gal. I will, indeed, get two clip boards, and adapt them to use as lifters (and will freeze the layer, too). Should solve the problem. Once again, CCers to the rescue!

duckduck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duckduck Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:37pm
post #16 of 24

I use boards covered with contact paper as well. Wrap the board with wax paper and tape in on to get the cake on the board but when you go to put the cake back, take the tape off and pull on the wax paper from underneath on the edge furthest from you. The cake will start to slide off the board and you can hold it over the cake you want to place it on top of and just keep pulling the wax paper so that the cake slides off the board. I hope that makes sense. It's difficult to write where it makes sense but if you can see it, it makes perfect sense and works really well.

lapazlady Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:09pm
post #17 of 24

DuckDuck, that makes perfect sense to me and I like it.

duckduck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duckduck Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 10:14pm
post #18 of 24

Cool. icon_cool.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 6:23am
post #19 of 24

I like the pampered chef idea but need to try to make one for sheet cakes ..not just the round ones. Neat idea though....I have tried the wax paper thing too but I think I had my angle wrong trying to get it off....takes lots of practice....

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:18pm
post #20 of 24

I wonder it you couldn't make a Pampered chef type thing with thin masonite rectangles a bit larger than you need. Attach handles of some kind to them and then cover on both sides with contact paper. Or just buy two cookie sheets without sides and use them like the pampered chef gadget. Instant multi-tasker.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:40pm
post #21 of 24

I am so glad to see this thread today as I really struggled (fought with) a 1/2 sheet cake a few days ago. LOL. I tried to slide a cake board in between the two layers and that worked pretty well but then I had problems getting the top back on the cake. The cake had cooled for about 3 hours but now I know it was just not "cooled" enough. Chalk another one up for experience. Note to self: do not bake cakes at 11pm that you need for the next morning icon_cry.gif I salvaged the cake but it WAS NOT FUN.

After looking at the Pampered Chef Lift n Serve, I was going to buy one, but I also like the idea of the two clipboards. So much cheaper (I'm all about being frugal). icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks so much everyone for the great tips. I love this place !!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:48pm
post #22 of 24

I sell Pampered Chef if you want one!

Stephanie

veejaytx Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:48pm
post #23 of 24

The clip boards I used are slightly over 9 x 12, which would be letter size, but I have seen them for legal size paper, which would be longer but not wider, but might give the extra space for the larger sheet cakes. Janice

PS I've also lately seen the clip boards in all plastic, which wouldn't have to be covered, but are also a little thicker than the masonite.

cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:09pm
post #24 of 24

Or you could go to the Hardware Store & have the wood man make cut you the "SIZES" you need. Not only would you get the size you need but the thickness as well. And you could buy handles & srew them on your self.
Just an idea!?!?!? icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%