Need Help With Cake Topper Issue!

Decorating By Chef_Lori Updated 19 Sep 2006 , 2:02pm by Chef_Lori

Chef_Lori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Lori Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:59am
post #1 of 8

Hello all... I am working on a wedding cake for this weekend, and the bride wants this crystal bowl topper... the top tier is 6" round, fondant covered... will it support this bowl, how do I do that? It's 1.5 lbs empty... and I presume she's wanting to add flowers and (i hope not) water. Help!
LL

7 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 8

I'm sure someone will have a better idea but I would dowel the small area where the topper will sit. make a cardboard round the size of the bottom of the topper, cover it with clear contact paper, put icing to discreetly "glue" the topper to the round and "glue" the round to the top tier. That was my 1st thought so I'm sure there may be a better way! It's a beautiful topper.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 8

You had better put some doweling in that top layer. Don't you just love the ideas brides come up with??

padawn71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
padawn71 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 8

wow...how about A test run? and maybe put some dowels through the cake and the cardboard under the fondant? and..i would think u would have to explain that because you need extra support, the fondant would have to be peeled off before you could cut it....and...remove the dowels..

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 8

Definitely going to need to use dowels and a board... If it were me, I'd use three of Wilton's fat plastic dowels placed close together so that pretty much the whole area under that bowl were dowel and not cake. And I'd suggest alternatives to water in the bowl. Maybe rock salt, so it looks like decorative pebbles but would be lighter weight? Or piping gel so that it won't be as likely to spill?

Deanna

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 8

I would definately put dowels through the top layer, probably 3 or 4 small ones. And then I think I would cut a piece of cake board and somehow glue the bowl to the board (with something that can be taken off afterwards) and also attach a dowel to the bottom of that board that will go through the top tier. That way if the table is knocked, the crystal bowl won't roll off the top cake and bounce off of each and every tier on its way down. I wonder if you could put a flower nail through the top of the cake board (and glue it to the bowl) and then screw a dowel to the flower nail on the underside and push that through the top tier. Anyway, you get the idea.

PGray315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PGray315 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 8

Thinking about the water in the bowl ~~~~~ I would be reluctant to put water in the bowl. Most flowers will hold up for several hours without water by wrapping the stems with florist tape. But, if water is necessary, I would use small water picks for the individual stems. I purchased some from a florist supply shop that were only about 2" in length. They won't be as heavy and will be covered with the leaves that are lining the bowl.

Chef_Lori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Lori Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for your input guys... my initial thought was do to the large plastic hollow dowels (that's what I'm using on the rest of the cake), I like the idea of the board under the fondant... as the round will have to be near the size of the top of that round in order to evenly distribute the weight. I'll run it by her and see if she's cool with that. Hopefully she'll wrap the stems, in fact I'm going to tell her she HAS to... ugh, why must she muck up the cake with that ghastly topper?! icon_cry.gif

Thanks so much... you guys are indispensable!! icon_biggrin.gif

Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%