Wrap Icing In Plastic Wrap Before Putting In Decorating Bags

Decorating By heystopthatnow Updated 19 Sep 2006 , 12:46pm by tmassey5

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:46am
post #1 of 15

Hi,
Someone posted the following as a favorite tip.

"1. Wrapping the icing in plastic wrap before putting into the decorating bags."

how do you do this????? Is this to keep the bag clean?how do you wrap icing in plastic wrap? Put it in a ziplock bag???

confused~

14 replies
Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:58am
post #2 of 15

Hi heystopthatnow. I actually have copied the article off and saved it on my computer. This is what you do.
Cut a piece of glad wrap about 9" long and lay flat then put your icing near the bottom but no too near the edge and just over halfway. Pick up one side of the glad wrap and line it up with the other side. You will now have the icing enclosed with the icing at the fold. Now carefully roll into a sausage until you get to the end of the glad wrap. Knot the top of the sausage and this prevents the icing oozing out the top. Pick up the sausage and insert into your bag and you are ready to go. I have done this twice and it works perfectly. Someone may be able to tell you where to get the article as it has pictures.

Briarview Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:08am
post #3 of 15

Hi heystopthatnow
This is where I found it with the pictures (sorry don't know how to post link)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38404-plastic.html+wrap+method

If you can find that perhaps search "Great tip from my instructor" as that is the heading.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:16am
post #4 of 15

Briarview you accomplished what I was trying to figure out. I am a total computer dummy icon_cry.gif How did you do it may I ask???

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:20am
post #5 of 15

Thank you so much Briarview!

Briarview Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:22am
post #6 of 15

Your welcome.

Briarview Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:40am
post #7 of 15

Hi kaychristensen, I just do a search with the particular words and scroll through until I find it. It took a couple of pages but I did find it. Cheers

Briarview Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:42am
post #8 of 15

Sorry I should have said click "Articles" and then type the words in the little box.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:50am
post #9 of 15

That is one of my all-time favorite tips! I always do it and, yes, it does keep the bag much cleaner. You can use the bag over and over. Just pull out the squished plastic wrap and start over. No more frosting flaking off the edges of the bag while you refill it with icing.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:01pm
post #10 of 15

You don't need to cut plastic wrap just use a plastic bag, it has the same effect. you can then tie a loose knot in the top incase you need to refill the bag.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:10pm
post #11 of 15

good tip

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:13pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by boring

You don't need to cut plastic wrap just use a plastic bag, it has the same effect. you can then tie a loose knot in the top incase you need to refill the bag.

But plastic wrap is much cheaper!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:19pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks for the link with the pictures. I couldn't understand how you did it so that helped so much. Can't wait to try this!!

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 15

Plastic bags here in Australia you can get them for free in the supermarkets with vegies

tmassey5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmassey5 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:46pm
post #15 of 15

I just learned this trick this week and it is great. I can't believe that 10 years of cake decorating and I never knew this!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%