Folds In Fondant!!

Decorating By cocorum21 Updated 19 Sep 2006 , 7:59pm by sweetviolent

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:57am
post #1 of 13

I'm not sure if there is a code amongst cake decorators so I hope it's ok to copy someone's cake design. (I'm still new) But I need help. I did a birthday cake for a friend's daughter this weekend and it came out really nice. My first tiered cake. But there were terrible folds in the fondant that I just could not get out for the life of me! I kneaded and kneaded and the more I kneaded the more folds I got. Could there be something I am doing wrong?!?!?. I'm attatching the picture of the cake and the folds.
LL
LL

12 replies
fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:54am
post #2 of 13

Was it homemade mmf? I get those too sometimes from clumps (more like hard balls) of powdered sugar even after kneading forever (mostly from C&H brand). If so just make sure to sift it extra good. Should help I hope. -fabbo

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 8:50am
post #3 of 13

Cocorum21.....That cake is beautiful....I love it.... when you knead your mmf do you use shortening? I use it to help soften it. It works better than powd sugar or cornstarch.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 9:05am
post #4 of 13

I can't answer that question, but had to let you know what a wonderful cake you made!!

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 9:21am
post #5 of 13

I can't answer your question either.... but had to say Great cake! thumbs_up.gif

cocorum21 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the compliments! icon_biggrin.gif Actually I used the wilton's fondant. I have yet tried to make my own. But I did use a little shortening to soften it and when that didn't work I just tried kneaded it over and over with no luck. Is the MMF easier to work with?

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 13

Looking at the top picture it looks to me like you could have got away with just rubbing those marks out but you managed to disguise them with the hearts. you did a great job wiht the cake.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 13

wow!! beautiful cake.. You bow is just perfect!!!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 13

I started using mmf and it is much easier to work with as you can microwave it for a few seconds and then I will work it into a smooth ball with my hands ( to eliminate any creases before i even roll it) and then it rolls like a dream. the warming makes a huge differenced at least for me. I dont know if you can do that with commercial fondants or not. also it will pick up any imperfection on your work surface like if there is a lump of it stuck on the counter under it . and tends to fold easier the thinner it is. Maybe you know this trick but thee best thing i've larned here is to set your cake up on something so the fondant kinda hangs down and it smooths and flattens out much easier. this is what has worked for me

Your cake is absolutely gorgeous , whatever imperfections you had sure don't show !!! thumbs_up.gif

sweetviolent Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 13

i forgot to say that sometimes just working it with your finger with a little crisco on it will smooth a boo boo like in the top pic- dont be afraid to use your hands!!

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 13

I think this is just gorgous. Good job!

cocorum21 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 13

thanks for the help. I just got a counter top mixer so I can make my own fondant.

sweetviolent - how long would you say you put your fondant in the microwave? (how much for how long)?

sweetviolent Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 13

If it is a full batch I stick it in still in the plastic wrap for about 45 seconds and then For smaller batches I adjust as size. The key is to warm it enough to make it more pliable but yo dont want to over warm it 'cuz then it will get goopy again .Probably everyones microwave is a little bit different too. There is an awesome tutorial on this site for making and using mmf
keep in mind it is rough on your mixer my KA can handle it but it strains - so often i will knead in the last bit of sugar! Good luck I think you will enjoy working with it !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%