I'm B O R E D . . .

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm by sweetness11379

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:11am
post #1 of 19

I have no orders!!! icon_cry.gif

thumbsdown.gif

I might have a cake order for September.

icon_cool.gif

I think I need to look into advertising!!!

icon_surprised.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:48am
post #2 of 19

Last year, August was my biggest month. So far this year, it's my worst. Maybe I'll look at it as time to do some new display cakes. icon_cool.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:33am
post #3 of 19

Either of you want to come to WV and help a gal out??? icon_cool.gif

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:56am
post #4 of 19

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I have no cakes in August. Sept, Oct, and even Nov are pretty busy, but nothing in August.
It is very hot here in August and a lot of my brides are having garden weddings, maybe this has something to do with it. I think I will take advantage of the slow time and do some display cakes.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:10am
post #5 of 19

Thats what I was gonna say...someone come help MEEEEEEEEE!!!!..lol icon_cry.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:14am
post #6 of 19

Hey KayDay had not seen you around in a few days. Just thought I would say Hello!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:24am
post #7 of 19

I used to feel that way, now at times I'm so busy, I'm glad to get a little down time. I have orders already for August, but no wedding cakes.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:56am
post #8 of 19

Hey ..hey there NEWTODECORATING...not to hijack the thread...but I been busy girl..to the point of exhaustion... that's why you haven't seen me on..lol. Some late nighters have most likely seen me skulking around CC...while taking a break, I'll get on try to see the days new cakes and comment a few of my faves and a few of the uncommented.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:04am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

Thats what I was gonna say...someone come help MEEEEEEEEE!!!!..lol icon_cry.gif

August in Alabama? Noooooooo, thanks! icon_lol.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:06am
post #10 of 19

I have the opposite problem... i have people lining up for cakes, but I'm not allowed to sell 'em yet! Wah!!!!

Hey, if you're not using it, can I borrow your kitchen? icon_biggrin.gif I'll let you use my aunt's beach house... icon_razz.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:13am
post #11 of 19

I feel the same way! THOUGHT i was going to be busy! But, I'm not now! icon_sad.gif

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:26am
post #12 of 19

I know what you mean. I go in spurts. I just have 2 dozen cupcakes for this weekend. Although, I just started to supply a new place with cheesecakes, truffles, etc.
mom2spunkynbug, call your local paper and check out the business section. They love to do stories on new businesses. Try to get some free advertising out there.
Hope this helps a little. At least a place to start. Another idea, go to your local SCORE chapter. They are wonderful with small businesses and have great ideas and are FREE.
Enjoy some time off.
-Michelle

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:32am
post #13 of 19

Wish that there was a green faced emoticon, for I am green with envy. Get a PT job at a grocery store and you won't be bored anymore!! We're so steady and busy right now that they even sent a tech from an icing company to help us out for a day!
I don't know if it will work for you, but if there is a Boscov's in your area (East Coast family owned store) Call them-- they order cupcakes from us all the time for kid's activities!
Also, check with churches, rec centers, pools and libraries-- right now they are doing their activities, Bible schools and book clubs, and you may be able to get them to take a cake or cupcake order-- Even if you donate it-- it's practice, it's exposure, and the themes can make it fun! Our library had a spy theme going, and got a cake that had spy things on it-- fingerprints, a camera, a magnifying glass, books and a treasure chest at the end. That was fun to do!
Check out retirement homes and businesses in your area-- You can help boost morale if they have a monthly birthday party for everyone-- I do a lot of "July theme" cake orders mid-month for the monthly parties...
Ok, enough yammering for now! I hope that it gives you some ideas to not be so bored!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:47am
post #14 of 19

I was just thinking the same thing. I am soooo BORED! And that's sad for me to say because I am at work! LOL It was kind of exciting at the beginning of my shift when a lady came in by ambulance that had a large chunk of Pork Chop stuck in her throat. Only scary thing is that we didn't know if it was in her airway or her esophagus. She ended up throwing it up and went home... now I'm bored again icon_sad.gif

Lazy_Susan

pieceofcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake1 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:12am
post #15 of 19

the mundane stuff in the "down time" like paper work and organizing. When things are slower it gives me time to refocus on upcoming seasons like fall events and Christmas baking. This is a great time to get inspired with new recipes and trends. I found last year I wasn't thinking far enough ahead and missed marketing the Christmas properly. I think bakers have to be thinking one season ahead just like retail. Sorry to go off track here all I mean to say is that slow times can be great opportunities to do marketing.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 19

Same here, no current orders. I was offered free advertising in exchange for cookies for an event (so that will be advertising as well!) and that's the only thing I have going for August! Thank goodness I have another job, but I would prefer to be baking cookies. icon_smile.gif

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofcake1

the mundane stuff in the "down time" like paper work and organizing. When things are slower it gives me time to refocus on upcoming seasons like fall events and Christmas baking. This is a great time to get inspired with new recipes and trends. I found last year I wasn't thinking far enough ahead and missed marketing the Christmas properly. I think bakers have to be thinking one season ahead just like retail. Sorry to go off track here all I mean to say is that slow times can be great opportunities to do marketing.

I totally agree...things for August slow way down for me. I will be working on Halloween/Fall, Christmas etc... getting my website done, paperwork and more marketing stuff. Slow times are a great time to do samples, check for fall/holiday festivals and craft fairs which is something I can do now that I am legal. I feel like I am always working even when I am not baking/decorating-that is what having your own business is I've been told.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 9:12pm
post #18 of 19

To add to cakenicing4u's reply, a great thing to do is to contact the abused women's shelter. How about doing a cake for a child whose world has been turned upside down - and Mom probably has no money to buy a cake. Someone had mentioned this before, and I think it would be a wonderful use of "down" time. This is such a supportive group and cake unites us all.

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfun

To add to cakenicing4u's reply, a great thing to do is to contact the abused women's shelter. How about doing a cake for a child whose world has been turned upside down - and Mom probably has no money to buy a cake. Someone had mentioned this before, and I think it would be a wonderful use of "down" time. This is such a supportive group and cake unites us all.

What a great idea! I'm bored but stressed all at the same time right now. Mostly just realizing that September and October will be crazy but right now... I'm just waiting for the storm to begin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%