Sturdy Cake Boards?

Decorating By Heather1128 Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 10:23pm by nenufares

Heather1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather1128 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 8

I am new to all of this and have watched some cooking shows where they deliver all their cakes on what looks like wood cake boards. I only know where to buy the cardboard ones. What more sturdy but affordable options do people use? Thanks for any advice.

7 replies
mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 8

I am interested in that as well...do I gotta beg my hubby to make em and if so what do you recommend them being made out of?

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 8

I mostly use the cardboard cake boards, unless the cake is really large and needs more support. My dad cut out circles and squares for me out of sheets of wood (plywood and composite), and I cover them according to request. I do write my name on the underside of the board and pray that they return it! (see, it's recycling! icon_smile.gif)

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 8

It sounds like masonite. I just purchased a board at my local cake decorating supply store.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 8

Foam core from a store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels works good for cake boards, too.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 8

I too use heavy MDF or plywood.Foamcore is good but here it is really expensive for a sheet.

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 8

I use masonite between tiered cakes and for the bottom of small cakes or 1/2 inch plywood for heavy cakes or cakes that I don't want to move or crack at all......I make them myself....my father was a contractor and I know my way around the workshop. My husband got me a compound mitre saw for my 33rd birthday....by request of course!! icon_biggrin.gif
Lisa

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 8

Go to your local hardware store and you'll find there masonite and plywood.
They can cut it for you there also (first 2 cuts are free, then $0.25 per cut.

I like homedepot, It is really inexpensive. I normally get 4 - 12" bases for $1 (masonite bases)
For the wedding cake I made this weekend I got a plywood base, it was like 1/2 in thick, payed $5 for the hole board and got 3- 18x18 from it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%