Confetti Cakes Book

Decorating By sugarbird Updated 28 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm by alwayscake

sugarbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbird Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 27

Been browsing amazon, and this site, trying to decide on a couple of books to purchase. Anyone have the new Confetti Cakes book? It looks good to me (what I've seen online).
Also, reccommendations on the best Colette book, and the most informative book for doing sculpted, fondant covered cakes with modeled figures, elements, flowers??
Thanks

26 replies
Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 27

I like this book. It has such great ideas for cakes.
I bought mine at: http://www.ecookbooks.com/products.html?ref=962233030&sid=18393220070724152531&action=det_36595&searchvalues=Confetti%20%3DAND%3Bcakes&searchlogic=simplesearch

Amazon - 19.79

ecookbooks.com - usually ship for free with a $25 order. And they arrive fast.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 27

I am fond of the Confetti Cakes book by Elisa Strauss. It has lots of neat ideas and is written well. I haven't tried any of her recipes though so can't say how well they work or how good they taste.

As for a Colette Peters book, if you're looking for a variety of sculpted, topsy turvy instructions with molded elements, I would suggest her "Cakes to Dream On" book.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 27

I love the confetti cakes book. It has many different levels of difficulty, so that is nice. I have made one cake with her directions (the baseball cap) and the directions were great. I also made the smbc recipe and it was delish!

I do have a collette book, but I am not really fond of her style. I didnt think the directions were very detailed. I forgot which book I have though.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 27

I'm a BIG fan too! Love the book!

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 27

i was just given this book yesterday.... as a birthday gift, i started reading it from the beginning and so far it seems like it is a great read and she is pretty detailed.
i really do like it.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 27

i have the confetti cakes book. the SMBC recipe and the choco cake recipe already have use stains LOL

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 27

I also have the book and whilst I haven't made anything from it yet, I have read it carefully and I just can't wait to try some projects and recipes! The pics are wonderful!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 27

I have that book too and LOVE it! One of my best cake buddies is going next week for a private lesson with the author, lucky girl!! She is taking my book with her to get it autographed, I can't stand it!!!!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 27

I have it out from the library right now and I do like it, but I was hoping for some more sculpted cakes. The ones she does are pretty simple, but cute. There is a lot of variety in her book which is nice. haven't tried any recipes yet...

Courtney

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 27

I think it is a great book, and the recipe for the chocolate cookies is fab!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:56am
post #12 of 27

I have confetti cakes and I really like it so far. I am actually "reading" it which I don't always do icon_biggrin.gif I found mine in Home Goods so if you have that store near you keep your eyes open icon_eek.gif I think I paid 10$ less than the cover price but not positive icon_razz.gif

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:57am
post #13 of 27

Confetti Cakes is a great book!
I also like Celebrate with a Cake by Lindy Smith and Colettes Birthday Cakes. I would love to own every book out there..... icon_rolleyes.gif

lilthorner Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:29am
post #14 of 27

beth.. I want every book as well.. I think its a sickness.. my grandma had it, and now I do too!

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:48am
post #15 of 27

Confetti Cakes is one of the nicest most well written book that is out there. Colette Peters is fabulous as well (have met her in person). Her books although not as detailed, offer many wonderful techniques; but I would say that they are for the more advanced decorator. I own all her books and wouldn't trade them for the world.

As for you girls that say I would love to own them all; add me to the list. My husband just rolls his eyes at me now every time I come home with a new book. He says I may need therapy! icon_wink.gif

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:49am
post #16 of 27

Confetti Cakes is one of the nicest most well written book that is out there. Colette Peters is fabulous as well (have met her in person). Her books although not as detailed, offer many wonderful techniques; but I would say that they are for the more advanced decorator. I own all her books and wouldn't trade them for the world.

As for you girls that say I would love to own them all; add me to the list. My husband just rolls his eyes at me now every time I come home with a new book. He says I may need therapy! icon_wink.gif

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:25am
post #17 of 27

I try to get them in the house unnoticed but the bookcase is getting crowded, so far DH hasnt said anything icon_biggrin.gif . My problem is I not only want all the cake books, but also love the books on cookies, chocolate, cupcakes, desserts, ok so basically anything to do with sugar.... hehehe thumbs_up.gif

lilthorner Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:36am
post #18 of 27

beth, how about anything to do with food! and I don't have a bookcase.. we moved in November (yes november) and my wonderful hubby told me we were going to get another bookcase so to give ,my mom min that was an entertainment center with a bookcase on either side to my mom.. so my most used books are on the COUNTER! the others are in the garage icon_sad.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:14am
post #19 of 27

My top cake decorating books are definitely:
Collette Peters - Cakes to Dream On
Margaret Braun - Cakewalk
Peggy Porschen - Pretty Party Cakes
Peggy Poschen - Romantic Cakes
Elisa Strauss - Confetti Cakes

All of Colette's books are good. Also recommend anything by Debbie Brown for modelling and cake carving - particularly her Enchanted and Fairytale cake books.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:26am
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbird

Been browsing amazon, and this site, trying to decide on a couple of books to purchase. Anyone have the new Confetti Cakes book? It looks good to me (what I've seen online).
Also, reccommendations on the best Colette book, and the most informative book for doing sculpted, fondant covered cakes with modeled figures, elements, flowers??
Thanks

confetti cakes is great! very informative, fun and well put together.

others that i own AND LOVE

birthday cakes by colette peters (lots of 3d and carving )
cakes to dream on by colette peters
cakewalk by margaret braun
fun and fancy cake decorating by kate sullivan (lovin sullivan cakes)
whimsical bakehouse by liv hansen and ? (sorry)
50 easy party cakes by debbie brown (sculpting and carving)

next on my list is peggy porschens pretty party cakes. the majority of the books also come with EXCELLENT recipes! the only book that i dont care for the included recipes is from debbie brown. but the other books, i use the recipes all the time and have recieved tons of positive feedback on them.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:46am
post #21 of 27

I to have a food book fetish, can't pass up the sale table at Barnes and Noble for anything...and more than not the DH of my friends will say " Oh look a cake book YUM" and pick them up and not really read them but look at the pictures!!! So I even put them on my coffee table icon_biggrin.gif

ladefly Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:04pm
post #22 of 27

also, i remember there being a thread about books and the i can think of the name of it for the life of me..... although i remember looking for it once and it was like $90 on amazon.com. can anyone help me with this one ??????

melysa Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:36pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladefly

also, i remember there being a thread about books and the i can think of the name of it for the life of me..... although i remember looking for it once and it was like $90 on amazon.com. can anyone help me with this one ??????

possibly one of toba garretts books ? i recall one of hers being AT LEAST $60.

ladefly Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:01pm
post #24 of 27

hmmmm, i will have to check around, thanks

melysa Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:52am
post #25 of 27

there was another one by colette , maybe a christmas themed one that i also remember being highly priced. i think it had a chocolate ornament on the cover.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:09am
post #26 of 27

i've been on a cake book binge lately, and while my "waste" line is feeling the hit, i'm now the proud owner of many many cake books to drool over...my favorite for sculpted is, hands down, debbie brown. i think i now have 5 of her books. i love the fairy tale air that all of hers have. she creates so much personality into her characters and their faces..sort of like our very own aine2 does!!!!!

collette is wonderful also, but she seems to be quite advanced with designs. i do love just looking through her books, though, amazed at how her mind works.

cake confetti (elisa strauss) is a lot of fun and i just finished her "chinese takeout box" night before last. the instructions were pretty simple and, although i ended up varying it some, turned out well.

cakewalk, by margaret brown, is a beautiful book, but i didn't get alot of use out of it, except for getting ideas for beautiful aspects of a cake, and the colors that are possible to make...as for ideas for a (realistic) whole cake, not so much.

i have sweet celebrations, which i thought i would really like initially, but since i'm more "debbie brown vibes", with a whimsical style, this book doesn't really suit me. it has more of a elegant classic style to it....some beautiful cakes, though, and some good ideas to use for later.

i like toba's books too, but they are much too advanced for me at this point. i use her fondant recipe though, and really like it.

all in all, any cake book can usually give you something to think about, something to inspire you, or even make you dream a little dream of one day owning your own cakery...you have to start somewhere!!!

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm
post #27 of 27

Thank you for the thread. I would love to purchase confetti's book, but not so sure (could not get inside the book in amazon). will order it then after all the recommendations. I have collette peters, whimsical bakehouse, porschen, cake bibles and some other titles as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%