Tropical Looking Flowers For Luau Party Cake! Please Help!

Decorating By kimberly_4209 Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 8:08am by Hollyanna70

kimberly_4209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberly_4209 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing my first cake for someone else. It's going to be for a luau birthday party. I want to do tropical flowers all over the tops of the 3 tier cake. But, I've never done anything like that! I don't know what to use, fondant, royal icing? I've never used gumpaste, but very willing to. From what it looks like I would get my best results with gumpaste. right? Can anyone give advice on what cutters to use, etc. I would greatly appreciate any advice, tips, ideas! Thank-you so much! Kim

4 replies
sweetlikepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlikepie Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 5

I'm a newbie too but maybe use one of the Wilton rose cutters and make them colorful and if you somehow string them they might look like a lei. Well good luck

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 5

You might also want to consider a hybiscus (sp.) they are very tropical and should be easy enough to make with either foundant or gumpaste.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 5

http://www.elegantlacemolds.com/molds.php?type=7&set=2
This is a link to a hibiscus mold that I have...they have llots of different molds...the hibiscus is # 720 on the page. Easy to use too.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 8:08am
post #5 of 5

Here are some beautiful cupcakes by Grammasue, maybe she can give you tips on how to do the flowers?

I just love these. I first saw them in another forum, and thought I'd look and see if she had them posted here too. Luckily, she does. They're just gorgeous.

I hope this helps..

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=726563

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%