Air Brush?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 1 Jul 2005 , 4:33am by traci

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:49am
post #1 of 5

Lately I've been thinking I need an airbrush. Mind you, I've never airbrushed before nor do I even know if I am coordinated enough to do it. For those of you that have them, what do you think of them? Are they hard to master? How expensive are they? I don't even know where to begin. The more I read this site, the more toys I think I want! icon_lol.gif

4 replies
sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 2:29am
post #2 of 5

I want to know the exact same things! I was just chatting about how busy I was in planning the wedding (3 weeks away) and I lost a cake order because they thought I was complaining! icon_sad.gif

Anyway, my cake was "replaced" by a cake with a large airbrushed design on it. I was upset and jealous a little.

I'm anxious to read your responses. I wonder if airbrushing is faster - easier - less expensive....do you have to be a tremendous artist, etc.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:25am
post #3 of 5

the lady that taught our wilton classes Taught an air brushing class a week or so after only charged like $25.00, we got to play with their supplies to see if we liked it. we also used sheets out of coloring books to Practice, then we we also taught how to Make a stencil for them and how to put it on a cake then how to color it in. it is really cool to use . but you can tip the thing over and spill dye on your cake if your not careful. icon_confused.gif but you can get the kit for about 175. or so. and it comes with tons of colors and they last a really long time. I bought one with a great discount b/c they had opened a new one for class.. but didnt use any of the coloring as they already had some open. thumbs_up.gif I haven't used it a whole lot but love it cause I know its there if & when I want to. So what I would Suggest honestly, is to take the class & see if you can live with out it for a while or if you just have to Have it. this way you can "Try before you BUY! ( gotta Love that!) Let me know if ya get one how you like it.
~Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:27am
post #4 of 5

I have one and I love it! They're expensive but they end up paying for themselves. You don't have to be an artist...that's what stencils are for icon_lol.gif I used mine with a stencil to make the nets on my tennis cupcakes. That saved me huge amounts of time since I made almost 7 dozen of them. I can't even imagine if I had to pipe on the nets. They wouldn't have been as straight that's for sure.

I also used it to make the spider-man bust red. Another big time saver...I didn't have to try and color all the icing red either.

It's one of my favorite toys...

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:33am
post #5 of 5

You could also shop around for different brands of equipment. I went to a cake store in my area that sells the equipment. I think you can get everything for around 100.00. I asked the man that owned the store if it was difficult to do...he said he learned how to do it by just practicing with it. I might look into later...after I get moved! I think taking a class would be a great idea.
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%