Cake Leveling

Decorating By CoutureCakeCreations Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 3:26am by mjulian

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 18

I am interested to hear how to level your cakes. Do your cake bake level or do you have to level them. When you level a cake do you just take of a thin layer of the top?

17 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 18

My cakes come out of the oven fairly level, just a slight hint of a dome - I always use bake even strips and if needed, flower nails too. But I do not like the top crust on cakes as it is a different texture from the rest of the cake so I take it off with leveling.

I take off whatever is not needed for the cake height that I am aiming for. I bake 2 cakes and layer them to make a tier that is about 4" high.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 18

I level every cake,,, or try to. It seems my leveler is very tempermental.. which makes me nuts.. I think I just need to invest in a better one.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 18

With my cakes, it depends on the cake. Some come out level and some don't. I just invested in a Agbay leveler. I just got it Friday of last week. I love it, it is great for all your cakes. I leveled the 6,10 and 14 inch cakes with it. It's a little costly but worh every penny.

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 18

i use the bake even strips on every cake that i bake and then i usually only have to take off the top part of the cake that is a diff texture than the sides of the cake. I use my BIG wilton cake leveler for big cakes, and my small wilton leveler for little cakes. If you don't have a cake leveler i would suggest going to JoAnn's or Micheals with one of their 40-50% off any one item coupons and using it towards purchasing a cake leveler...sometimes they can be pricey...

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 18

My cakes also come out pretty even (I use 3" magic line pans for 2" layers) but I also don't like the crust .. so I cut off the top with my Agbay leveler - which has been my wisest investment to date. I love love love it!! Took a little bit to get used to it - but I highly recommend one for every baker out there!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 18

I've got one of these and I can't recommend it enough.

http://www.agbayproducts.com/

It's not cheap - and then I had it shipped to the UK! But it's worth its weight in gold and is probably my most cherished piece of equipement!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 18

ps: I didn't bother with the deluxe model... I just have the 'ordinary' one and it's great!

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 18

Don't mean to hijack your post, but I was wondering if the Agbay leveler blade ever bows? I know the large Wilton leveler does, and it gets aggravating at times. The Agbay leveler looks awesome! Up to 6.5"! Cool. Thanks for the info.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 18

I've had my Agbay for 7 years and I haven't had problems with it. It works as good as the day I got it. The blade is very sturdy (and sharp!).

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:55pm
post #11 of 18

I have never had my bow. I LOVE THAT THING!!!!! It makes leveling so easy. I had struggled with the Wilton leveler and after it shredded a carrot cake, I threw it away and called to order the Agbay. Best money I've spent as far as my cake supplies. LOVE IT!!!

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:03am
post #12 of 18

well, I am not a leveler...i push my cakes down while hot. Some people do not like doing this as it changes the density of the cake, but I have never noticed a huge density difference, and there is no wasted cake or tempting scraps to nibble on. It helps because i am too cheap to buy a leveler and i cant cut straight to save my soul.
i have also overfilled my cake pan slightly so that when it bakes, there is a nice dome for me to cut off while the cake is still in the pan, using the pan edge as a guide---this worked really well for me.
I have also heard of people using fishing line or dental floss attached to 2 popsicle sticks. They just pull the line through the cake (maybe this is just for torting now that i think about it)

maybe an agbay leveler....hummm i will have to add to my list

best wishes

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

I have also heard of people using fishing line or dental floss attached to 2 popsicle sticks. They just pull the line through the cake (maybe this is just for torting now that i think about it)

Okay, I am making my first wedding cake, and I do NOT have a cake leveler. I am wondering, has anybody done this before with the floss? If so, please tell me how it went! Or any other suggestions. I need to know if this worked for torting. Thank you very much!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 18

Another vote for the Agbay. Best moey I've spent so far.

Although I did just buy a SugarVeil . . . Haven't even had time to try it out though.

::marches around:: Agbay rules! Agbay rules!

captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:23am
post #15 of 18

Man!!! That Agbay looks AWESOME!!!!! But $150!!!!????? EEEEEK!!! I could practically make one myself with a saw blade....think I'm going to look in to self-construction...LOL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 11:47am
post #16 of 18

I bought the delux. I know it seems like a lot of $, but it truly, absolutely is worth it. Have you nticed that everyone who has one raves about it? I have literally Never, Never, Ever heard an Agbay owner say it wasn't worth every penny.

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:12am
post #17 of 18

I agree with Leah, they are pretty fabulous.

I saw Maureen (the woman who owns the company with her husband who invented it for her) at an ICES meeting here in Massachusetts.

She used the deluxe with two blades to tort a cake in four layer to make petit fours. It was a lovely thing. Too bad I can't justify the cost right now; maybe when I make more cake money I can have more cake toys..tools...equipment!!

Oh, and Maureen is really nice, too, which makes me more inclined to buy a product from her.

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:26am
post #18 of 18

I use a bakers knife and leavel and tort my self. It has taken lots of practice but now I have the hang of it.

The blade thing looks awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%