Welcome Home Cake Idea?

Decorating By edcjenv Updated 1 Jul 2005 , 7:05am by edcjenv

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 34

A lady who works for my mom is bringing home her new baby in a couple of days. The baby is about 10 days old and just had to have open heart surgery...I'm going to make them dinner and I'd like to do a special type of dessert. Any suggestions?

33 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 34

Do they like rhubarb?
I just recently made some mini cakes with cake mix and pureed rhurbarb that had been soaking in sugar and pumpkin pie spice- everyone who tried them love them.
I took a white cake mix, used melted butter instead of oil, half rice milk/half water (add little bit less due to the water from the rhubarb) mixture, pureed rhubarb mixture (as mentioned above).
I would recommend serving them with either sweetened whipped cream or cool whip.
I baked mine in a cake pan that had 6 mini hearts in it, they baked up so pretty.
I also used buttermilk instead of the rice milk/water combo and they tasted good.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:39am
post #3 of 34

Mouse -- that sounds like a good idea...any others?

Anyone??

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:24am
post #4 of 34

I just wanted to bring this up again...any other ideas? I've never had or tried rhubarb before...

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:32am
post #5 of 34

what about a yummy cheese cake or a fresh fruit tart. if you dont want to make a cake.

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:43am
post #6 of 34

maybe you could do a fruit pizza, i know of a few ways to make it. either with a sugar cookie or a flour tortillia. let me know if you need more info. I would hardly call it a recipe. Hope some of these help.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:44am
post #7 of 34

I was thinking cheesecake or cake...but this is a little 'heavier' than just bringing a baby home...
Would you still just do a baby shower/ welcome baby type cake?

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:46am
post #8 of 34

well lets see, if the baby is coming home then there must be a great chance of recovery for the baby right??? So i think it would be a great chance to finally get to celebrate.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:51am
post #9 of 34

Yes and yes...very good point. So...any cute baby homecoming cake ideas?? LOL Just tell me if I give you a headache icon_razz.gif

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:51am
post #10 of 34

if you do a cake maybe you can do a congratulations i was looking in the baby shower gallery and saw a gerat cake that was for a girl it was round and said baby girl and they had piped pink feet prints like they do when the baby is born. I think that would be a great idea. Maybe you could write welcome home baby(name here) with the feet.

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:52am
post #11 of 34

am i on the right track

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:53am
post #12 of 34

Oh! I remember seeing that...I thought it was really cute. Do think it would be difficult to do a 'quilt' on the sides?

Oh yea, Uncle Sam has arms and hands...he'd probably be done if I wasn't addicted to CC icon_smile.gif

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:56am
post #13 of 34

hmm would you do it out of fondant or icing???? either way i think would be rather easy. i think that would be adoable..... is it a boy or girl????

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:59am
post #14 of 34

Preferrably (sp?) BC...just learning fondant. Little girl...I don't know much about her stats cuz we've been all caught up in the drama!

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:02am
post #15 of 34

ok so you can do pastel pinks and violet and yellow. Using a star tip might work the best on top put your message with the feet. maybe use some candy melts and the baby shower molds to make some decorations for the top.

Im glad uncle sams coming together.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:08am
post #16 of 34

Use a star tip for the message? Haven't done that (usually avoid writing) Oooh! I could use candy melt decorations as the quilt pictures and just star tip squares to frame it! I like the color choices. What would you do on the top

Uncle Sam had a near tragic incident with a lost ear, but I think we're okay now LOL

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:12am
post #17 of 34

No i dont mean the star tip for the writing i meant for the actual quilt if you dont want to write maybe you could quilt the whole cake and the center of the top you could add the feet.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:17am
post #18 of 34

Not a bad idea. I do have the letter press. Just haven't had much luck with it. You are such a huge help thank you thank you thank you!

P.S. w/Candy Clay, you have to roll it in cornstarch to keep it from sticking, but then how do you get the cornstarch off?

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:20am
post #19 of 34

im not sure if its like fondant i have read that you use a clean pastry brush and brush it off. if it doesnt work you dampen the brush and brush it. im glad to help

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:24am
post #20 of 34

It seems more pliable than fondant and if you get it wet it is exactly the texture of soft modeling clay...I was surprised. I bet the pastry brush would work...

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:26am
post #21 of 34

did you make your own or did you buy the kind they sell at micheals??? i have wanted to try it but i am a chicken. lol would it work to cover an entire cake with???? I dont like fondant and i think im the only person on this site who doesnt like the mmf either.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:39am
post #22 of 34

I made it from the recipe on CC... It is super sweet ( 14 oz bag of candy melts & 1/3 c corn syrup) I do have to say that I've been able to work w/it better than fondant or MMF. But I'm new to all of it! Don't be chicken...what's the worst that can happen...it looks bad, tastes bad and you have to start over? You probably wouldn't even remember a week later.

I was just thinking a couple minutes ago that I'll probably make some up for my girls to play with while I'm decorating...they always want to help!

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:43am
post #23 of 34

your right my dads birthday is next week maybe i can try it out then. Im still not sure what im going to do for his cake. He will be 47 i really like the idea of him falling into the grave. have you seen those cakes on here??? i think they are hilarious. i could make him out of candy clay and maybe the tombstone as well. hmmmm how much does one batch make??? i dont know if i could think of something do do with all of it.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:51am
post #24 of 34

I think those cakes are sooo mean...does your dad have a sense of humor? As long as the cake isn't for me...that's fine. I'm sure you could use the candy clay for a tombstone & guy...you could also use it to make a 47. Maybe the grim reaper?? LOL Hey if you're gonna be mean--go all the way!

I'm not sure how much it makes, but the recipe says it stores for 6 weeks @ room temp in an airtight container.

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:55am
post #25 of 34

yes my dad has a good sense of humor. i always tell him he is old he laughs about it. actually i thought about making a cake with a cake with him pushing 50. maybe i will still do that i can make him out of candy clay and the number 50 and have him actually pushing it. lol i have been teasing him sense he turned 40 that he was pushing 50.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:59am
post #26 of 34

That's a really cute idea...I like that better than the grave idea...something else about the candy clay...it seems to hold color really well.
**Please know that tonight is the first night I've used it, and I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about icon_smile.gif

LOL Maybe that should be my signature line!

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:01am
post #27 of 34

LMAO well you know more than i do. It is 2 here so i think i am going to attempt to get some sleep. cant wait to see sammy it was great chatting with you.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:01am
post #28 of 34

Yippee! I'm now a regular member instead of a Junior member...when did that happen?

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:02am
post #29 of 34

probably during our chatting. before long you will be an addict like me.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:03am
post #30 of 34

Ditto on that...it's 3 am here...what is sleep again?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%