Ducky In A Barrel Cake?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 8:13pm by pechee

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 10

I want to do a ducky in a barrel cake... I'll be using 3 10" layers for the barrel and then the ducky 3D pan. Do you think I'll need some kind of support in there for holding the ducky up or not? I just thought since that is a lot of cake... it might get kinda heavy on the first few layers. Also, I want to put slats of "wood" up around the sides made of fondant. How long ahead should I make the fondant and paint it so that it's hard enough to stand up a little bit above the cake? Thanks!

9 replies
pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 10

I have learned the rule of every 2 layers, you board and dowel,(cant be too safe). the slats you can make a week in advance at least so they can dry. This cake is gonna look awesome!!!!!! Cant wait to see pictures!

mommabuda Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:59am
post #3 of 10

Alright, great, well, I don't have a week but I have 3 days so I'm making them tonight! Also, I was talking it over with my hubby and he thinks it should be 4 layers instead of 3 to get the height factor... it'll be waaay too much cake but oh well!!! Thanks!

pechee Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:04am
post #4 of 10

If you do 3 10 inch cakes, that should be around 7 inches high. and you can always have the "boards" go higher than the cake an inch or so. that way the ducky looks more like he is in the bath.

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:21am
post #5 of 10

I too am doing this cake for an August 7th due date. I plan to use 2 10in rounds that are three inches each. I will be using dowels under the duck for sure because the duck will be heavy. I will also be making the slats ahead of time and will make them higher than the top tier to create the look of the duck sitting in the barrel of water. If you want it higher still, you could make a 10 inch round that's thinner just to add a little height. HTH!

mommabuda Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:14am
post #6 of 10

Do you think it would be a better idea to add some gumpaste so that it will dry harder? I'm just worried that I don't have enough time for it to dry... I did 3 pieces tonight but my fondant kept falling apart. I'll make a new batch in the morning. This cake has to be done by Saturday...

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:30am
post #7 of 10

Do you have any gum tex? You could add that to your fondant/ gumpaste mix to make it dry harder. Good luck!

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:31am
post #8 of 10

Do you have any gum tex? You could add that to your fondant/ gumpaste mix to make it dry harder. Good luck!

mommabuda Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 10

Oh sorry, I meant gumtex... I just went and bought some, added it to some orange mmf that I had leftover, rolled it out, cut & painted them all... I have 18 pieces... I hope that'll be enough! We'll see, thanks!

pechee Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 10

I cant wait to see this!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%