Rice Krispy Treat Or Cake?

Decorating By Momofjakeandjosh Updated 19 Sep 2006 , 4:33am by TexasSugar

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:02am
post #1 of 5

My niece is having a Halloween themed birthday party in October, and I've been asked to make the cake. I was wanting to a Haunted House scene. I was going to make a sheet cake for the yard and use the Wilton "house" pan for the house part. It doesn't have to be big since it'll only be about 10 kids or so. I will have to drive to my sister's house with it which is about 45 min. away in traffic. Anyway, my question is, for the house pan, would it be better if I used cake or could I use Rice Krispy Treats? I was thinking he krispy treats would be more sturdy, but would it be heavier and can you frost and decorate the krispy treats just as you would a cake with buttercream icing? If a cake would be a better choice, is there a particular type of cake that would be sturdy enough to hold up? I've never used the house pan, so I don't know how strong or sturdy the cake is standing up. Finally, which ever one I use, how do I keep the house from falling over while I'm driving. Any advice or tips would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

4 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:09am
post #2 of 5

I have used the 3D house cake pan. I like to use pound cake in it.

What I do, is put the sheet cake on a 1/2" thick (whatever the thickest is at the craft stores) piece of covered foam board and then ice it...and then put some straws in where the house is going to go, and a thin piece of wax paper, and then put the house on a thin cake board and set it on the sheet cake. Then take two sharped dowels cut to size and hammer one on each side of the house cake down through the thin cake board all the way down so its sticking into the foam board base. Then if you can, refrigerate the iced cake so that its stiff. If you do that, you will have absolutely no problem at all transporting the cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:48am
post #3 of 5

I think the rice crispie treats would be cool. Something different and still yummy. icon_smile.gif

I've decorated them with buttercream before and they were still good. A bit sweeter, but I'm sure the kids would love them.

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks y'all for the great suggestions. If I do go with the Rice Krispy Treat idea, what is the best way to get it out of the pan without ruining the shape? I've never tried to take those out of the pan before. Usually, I have them all eaten before they even harden - HAHA!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:33am
post #5 of 5

You could line the pan with foil or plastic wrap. I have just sprayed them with cooking spray. I don't leave them in there long after pressing it in, that away they don't have time to stick to the pan. Let them cool off a little, then flip it over and bang it again the counter. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%