First And Last Fondant Cake!!!

Decorating By mhill91801 Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 4:32am by Princess3

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:03am
post #1 of 21

My son HAD to have this cake for his 5th birthday tomorrow (from the Debbie Brown "Cartoon Cakes" book). I have never worked with fondant before, except for the occasional accect I would add to my buttercream cakes. Never again!! What a pain in the butt!!! I don't know how those of you who always work with fondant do it! Good thing you can't see the back of Tom's head. I mean, I consider myself pretty good with buttercream. I'm not a professional, but for a hobby I don't think I'm that bad. Boy did this cake crush my ego. I thought it would be fun, and give me some experience, but honestly I don't think I will ever use fondant again. (Except like I said for adding accents). Kuddos to those of you who do such an excellent job! I have a new respect for you! Anyway, enough rambling, and here is the finished product....
LL

20 replies
brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:06am
post #2 of 21

I think you did a terrific job. thumbs_up.gif

SilkwoodStudios Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilkwoodStudios Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:08am
post #3 of 21

i agree, its cute as he#*, dont give up, remember how "perfect" your first buttercream cake was??

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:09am
post #4 of 21

I think it looks great!!! don't be so hard on yourself!!

rayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rayven Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:10am
post #5 of 21

I think it's an adorable cake! I think you did a great job for your first fondant cake.

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:10am
post #6 of 21

I think it looks great!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Don't sell yourself short. We all have to start somewhere. Personally, I don't have any experience with fondant and am not sure I care too!!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:10am
post #7 of 21

That is really awesome!! I can't believe that is your 1st fondant cake!

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:13am
post #8 of 21

Oh my gosh!! What a beautiful job!!! You should have seen my first attempt at a fondant cake. What a joke that was!! All-in-all my three year old loved it!! I swear I will never do another fondant cake, but like yourself, just use the stuff for accents. Besides, fondant tastes gross!!!

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:16am
post #9 of 21

Awesome job on the cake! It looks GREAT! And I agree, fondant is hard to work with, but I am sure that the more you use it, the easier it gets. You know what to anticipate, etc. I've only used it a handful of times, but some parts of it get easier...

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:18am
post #10 of 21

awww....that's cute....and I aught to know, since Tom & Jerry has always been my favorite cartoon!!!

now if that is your FIRST cake....let's see...with practice -- yes more fondant cakes -- you'll soon be giving DebbieB a run for her money.

YDG!!!! don't be hard on yourself!

mhill91801 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:19am
post #11 of 21

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I guess I just thought it would be better. Like I said, thank goodness you can't see the back. I made MMF and added gumtex to it to make Jerry, and I really had fun doing that. I did it a few nights ago. Seems like when I added the gumtex it was a little easier to work with, but I didn't want the rest of it to be that hard, so I just used plain MMF for Tom. My son hasn't seen it yet, so I guess that will be the true test!! icon_wink.gif

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:20am
post #12 of 21

Im the other way around. l dont know how all you buttercream experts do it! l find fondant much easier. l guess its what you start cake decorating with. By the way, your cake looks great! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:25am
post #13 of 21

I just started working with fondant and I have to say I love it! Not only do I like the presentation it gives but I enjoy working on custom cakes alot more then the basic buttercream ones.. Oh and thanks to Americolor, mixing colors no more hassle! I think your cake is very creative, as always one your first experiences we always see how we can improve. With this being your first, your improvement can only mean excellence! good job!

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:19am
post #14 of 21

Your cake looks great thumbs_up.gif

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:26am
post #15 of 21

Are you kidding?? You did a terrific job!!!!! thumbs_up.gif I bet your son will be so thrilled with his cake!

I'll bet you've gotten frustrated with BC before, so consider this no different. It gets so much more fun the more you do it, don't give up! You have a lot of talent and it shows in this cake.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:35am
post #16 of 21

I think you did a great job! I wish I could do such a good job. Your cake is darling. Don't stop using fondant. You are already a pro at it.

Joanne

mhill91801 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:10am
post #17 of 21

Well, my son came home and asked if I was done with the cake. I showed it to him on the table, and he was so excited. He said "That's awesome mom! It's really nice!". I guess that's what matters. thumbs_up.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:33am
post #18 of 21

That is totally what matters! That's the reason I started doing cakes in the first place. : ) I think you did a great job. You shouldn't give up on fondant, there is a first time for everything and you really will eventually feel comfortable with it. It just has a learning curve (like everything else, LOL). : )

pippindipity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pippindipity Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:37am
post #19 of 21

Your cake is awesome! I'm glad your son loves it, and I can see why he does icon_wink.gif

megal80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megal80 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:47am
post #20 of 21

Looks great! I am new to fondant and its not as easy as everyone else on cc makes it look! lol! It just seems so time consuming when you are just starting on it...frustrating, but I am impressed by this cake, especially for being your first time!

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:32am
post #21 of 21

I want it. I just made a cake this weekend and used mmf for the first time and I could barely make a traffic cone, THIS is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%