Need Some Help With Ideas For A Wedding Shower Cake Please

Decorating By shortNsweet Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm by mallorymaid

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:27am
post #1 of 8

Hello all,
I need some help with ideas for a wedding shower cake. BOTH the bride & groom to be LOVE golf, and the person throwing the shower has requested I make a golf themed shower cake!...to each his own I guess!...lol...I'm kind of at a loss outside of maybe a a layered rectangular shaped cake with the top to look like a putting green...with sand traps, water, etc. I thought I'd put a little standing bride & groom playing golf with some small golf balls all around made of fondant or sugarpaste. I'm not loving this idea, and just can't come up with anything else. I just feel this golf theme is keeping me from making a feminine looking cake. Any ideas from you talented, creative people??? I appreciate ANY help you can give me!
THANKS! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:41am
post #2 of 8

I had a friend that did a shower cake for her son - it was a square cake covered using the "grass" tip with a golf ball on top. She used the ball pan, covered it in BC and then after crusting, used the rounded end of her candy thermometer to make the dimples on the golf ball. Not feminine, but a idea?? You could even make flags with the couple's names and date on them. icon_smile.gif Hope this helps some. Have a great cake adventure!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:47am
post #3 of 8
nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:04am
post #4 of 8

I don't think I would be too thrilled about this idea for a shower cake either. However, this pink golf bag by cakelady48 is very feminine and maybe you could adapt it somehow.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_650523.html
If that doesn't help, there is a whole section on golfing in the galleries. Good luck!!!

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:20am
post #5 of 8

Maybe you could do a white golf ball sitting on an 8 in. round (which could be white or green). A bride and groom could adorn the top and stand on the large golf ball (like a topper on a wedding cake). Then you could do fondant/ gumpaste things like golf bags, hats, clubs, balls, etc. to "border" the bottom cake. It'd be more feminine being done in a neutral wedding-ish white, but it would incorporate the "golf" elements. I hope this makes sense. icon_smile.gif Good luck and please post a pic. of the completed cake!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 8

have you seen the sports ball cupcakes by elisa strauss? she covers the cupcakes with a circle of fondant and then makes small indentions (i think i remember a golf ball) to resemble the ball. you could do a nice cupcake tower with a feminine floral (with lots of different shades of pink) topper, maybe add thin green ribbon bows around the cupcakes. if you do bows, use thin 1/8" ribbon, pre cut ribbon and tie the bow, then hot glue the bow to the front of the cupcake liner. to fancy up the cupcakes, use nut cups by wilton instead of the normal cupcake papers.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 8

pm me if you'd like me to send you a photo from the book.

mallorymaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mallorymaid Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 8

how about sculpting a 3D golf cart cake with fondant bride and groom riding in it with golf bags on the back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%