Molding Figures For Dummies??

Decorating By GolfAddict Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 10:45am by JulieBugg2000

GolfAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GolfAddict Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 6

I am a molding virgin and in need of help. I will be making my fiances groom's cake in May and of course, he has requested a golf themed cake.

Does anybody have any tips/suggestions on how to mold the golfer? Should it be fondant or gumpaste? What is the advantages/disadvantages of working with one rather than the other? Are there tools to use? Or just your fingers?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, B.

5 replies
SilkwoodStudios Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilkwoodStudios Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 6

i think a great way to get the first idea of how to mold would be to check out the feature article from the home page, " how to mold a fondant fairy" it should give you many pointers on your quest, just a place to start, many others could tell you more, im sure.

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 6

Look at some clay sculpting books, like for Sculpey or Fimo. The techniques are the same, use either gum paste or fondant, they will both work. You can use clay tools, too, just so long as they are only used for food. I have done that and used the gum paste tools kit to help with the details.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:32am
post #4 of 6

As a beginner I would recomend using fondant with gumtex added or fondant mixed with gumpaste. Plain gumpaste dries very fast and if you aren't use to working with it it may start to dry before you get done with your piece. By adding fondant and it together you get a longer working time, but a product that will dry faster than just plain fondant.

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 10:19am
post #5 of 6

I do a lot of molding as well. I use half gumpaste and half sugarclay (255 grams fondant + 1 tsp tylose powder or gummix)

Mixture is very pliable and dries quite well. Just knead them together when you're ready to use them and keep ina ziplock bag.

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 10:45am
post #6 of 6

Aine2 also did a tutorial on how she does those amazing figures that accompany her cakes. I think you can find it on her website (not sure of the address, just search for her and that should tell you). I watched it and it's VERY helpful in showing you how to create realistic people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%