What Kind Of Icing Do You Like?

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 5 Jul 2005 , 1:04am by ilithiya

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 22

What kind of icing do you like and for what cakes?

For example: For me I prefer this kind of icings:

Birthdays: Regular Buttercream, Crisco only, no butter icon_smile.gif

Special Occasions like Bridals, anniversaries, etc...: Extra Special Buttercream recipe that's made with Heavy Whipping Cream thumbs_up.gif

Family birthdays: I like to try new ones like Swiss Buttercream, French Buttercream, etc. icon_wink.gif

21 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 22

well for me my family hates butter cream so i am always trying to find new whipped icream icings.

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 22

were a buttercream lover..

mrsrunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsrunning Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 22

I love the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco buttercream

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 22

I found a new favorite in the Dream Whip Icing, 'cause it has a decent flavor and it's great for smoothing & decorating. That's what I use for all my decorated cakes now.

As far as taste alone, I like stabilized whipped cream or cream cheese icing. I also prefer the taste of the 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening buttercream, but it doesn't smooth as well and doesn't hold up to the humidity around here.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 22

Melissa, which Dream Whip Icing recipe do you use? Thanks

melissablack Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscakes

Melissa, which Dream Whip Icing recipe do you use? Thanks

Ok, well I thought it was from this site, but I can't find it on here anymore... I just copied it from my file.

Dream Whip Icing

2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups crisco shortening
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup

Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well. I have tried so many and this is now my main buttercream.

Jan

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 22

Thank You Very Much!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissablack

As far as taste alone, I like stabilized whipped cream or cream cheese icing. I also prefer the taste of the 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening buttercream, but it doesn't smooth as well and doesn't hold up to the humidity around here.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

I just made the buttercream recipe using 1/2 crisco and 1/2 butter to use it for birthdays and family cakes...

What I don't like is that I don't get it white enough... icon_rolleyes.gif Here in Florida is very humid so I have to see how well it holds up.

If you refrigerate it, is it okay? Can you also freeze it?

I freeze my all crisco icing after two weeks if I am not going to use it for a while...

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 2:39am
post #10 of 22

For years I used an all-shortening recipe that gives an all white icing, but lately I don't like the taste of it - too greasy. I have been using a buttercream with 1/2 shortening 1/2 cream cheese. I'd love to try a meringue buttercream, but i'm too chicken. icon_sad.gif

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 2:50am
post #11 of 22

beachcakes, meringue buttercream is not that hard. It was one of the first buttercreams I learned to make, then I learned the key to meringue buttercreams is to just keep beating it. It will come together and you can flavor it with anything!

beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 2:56am
post #12 of 22

kalikw, it's the sugar syrup that frightens me! icon_redface.gif I've never been able to cook a sugar syrup properly!

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 3:08am
post #13 of 22

I like buttercrem.. I use all Crisco.. but it is the butter flavored crisco. And a lot of vanillia extract!

kalikw Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 3:16am
post #14 of 22

Beachcakes just invest in a candy thermometer, you can buy them at any cooking store, I think even Walmart or your local supermarket would have them also, just look in the kitchen tools section. The other important part is not to put the fire on "high" you want it to gradually rise to the correct temperature usually around 245-248 degrees some recipes have the temp a little lower, though never higher (you will end up with candy!!!) I know you can do it. Any easy one is the Sylvia Weinstock recipe I have seen posted on this website. It makes a lot of frosting though you can cut the recipe in half. If you need a good recipe I can provide you with the one I use.

beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 3:42am
post #15 of 22

kalikw, I would love if you would share your recipe icon_biggrin.gif ... I looked at the one in The Cake Bible once, but it sounded so technical that I never tried a meringue buttercream after reading that! I have had a few unfortunate fudge accidents in my past icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 3:52am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrunning

I love the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco buttercream

I AM WITH YOU ON THAT MRSRUNNING. MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS LOVE THAT BUTTERCREAM. I WILL HAVE TO TRY MELISSABLACK'S RECIPE WITH THE DREAM WHIP THOUGH. I MAKE THE PUDDING AND DREAM WHIP PIES THAT MY FAMILY LOVES, SO WE WILL SEE IF THEY LIKE THIS NEW ICING OR NOT. I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

kalikw Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 6:36am
post #17 of 22

Beachcakes,
Funny you should mention the Cake Bible because that is the recipe I use. I have used it so much the page is almost worn!!(smile). It does take a while to make but once you get the hang of it you will find it quite easy. If you need help or have further questions you can email me at [email protected]

beachcakes Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 10:47pm
post #18 of 22

LOL thanks Kali, you've persuaded me... I'll have to try it icon_wink.gif

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 12:16am
post #19 of 22

This is my buttercream recipe. I love it! I do want to try that dream whip one though if it is maybe lighter sweetness, for the occasional one that wants less sweet. The one I use is not too sweet at all.. really good.. but you know.. theres always a couple. icon_smile.gif Anyways for this recipe I tweeked a bit. I use 1/2 cup butter and take out 1/2 cup shortening or you can do half and half. I also only use vanilla since I put the butter in there. None of the other flavorings and I took out the cornstarch because for me in AZ it is already too dry so I don't need it. HTH

Buttercream Icing - Carolyn Lawrence - Missouri - [email protected]
4 pounds powdered sugar
2 cups Crisco
1/3 cup powdered milk mixed with enough hot water to make 1 cup
Add to the milk:
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla
1/2 tsp. clear butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. almond
1/2 tsp. creme royale or creme bouquet (optional)
Add 1/2 cup cornstarch and beat well for about 15 minutes.
This can be kept out of the refrigerator for around 2 weeks, I'd say. I usually use it so fast that I hardly ever get it in
the refrigerator unless I am going out of town for a few days and then it can also be frozen. The cornstarch helps
humidity as well as helping to cut the sweetness. Play with it and use whatever flavorings you like.

melissablack Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 5:32am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mable_21

I like buttercrem.. I use all Crisco.. but it is the butter flavored crisco. And a lot of vanillia extract!

Is the butter flavored criso white? Our wilton instructor told us not to use it, but I never questioned why... just assumed that it was perhaps yellow or something.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 12:23am
post #21 of 22

I like the regular BC icing 1/2 butter....1/2 crisco but I also like the Whimsical Bakehouse House Buttercream for smoothing and non crusting.It is about 3 shortening to 1 butter

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 1:04am
post #22 of 22

melissablack: The butter flavored Crisco is yellow, but it's also got a higher moisture content than the unflavored Crisco. I tried making a batch of buttercream with it once, and got it to the point where it was so stiff I had problems getting it out of a bag, and my roses would still wilt. icon_sad.gif

Illy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%