Help !!! What Filling Goes Well With Pistachio Cake???

Decorating By auntsushi Updated 17 Sep 2006 , 5:53pm by newlywedws

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 9

Hi - I'm making a cake today for a function at church tomorrow - I want to make something really different. I'm making a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for those who might not like "different" cakes....anyway, I've always wanted to try a cake extender with pistachio pudding. For those of you that have tried it, is it good? I'll be making it with a white cake mix. Also, is there a filling that you would recommend with it? Does almond go with pistachio? I'm thinking it might be good but not sure. There's a recipe on this site for almond custard filling. I think it sounds yummy.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks !!

8 replies
goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 9

A deep choclate fudge filling and frosting sound good to me and a nice color contrast.

I'm thinking pistachio has its own distinct flavor...I think I'd avaoid adding another nut flavor...

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 9

I remember my Mom made a pistachio pudding filling for her pistachio cake, and it was awesome! It was perfect, and light and her Christmas specialty.
But I'd steer away from another nut flavor for filling. Keep it simple and light, as pistachio does have a very distinct flavor.

yummyhobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummyhobby Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 9

I'm with Goal4me-- chocolate sounds great with Pistachio!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks. After I posted I was wondering about putting another nut flavor with the pistachio. I wasn't sure if chocolate would go. I may try that or the pistachio filling. Both sound YUM .....

I can't believe how much I love putting fillings in cakes! I've never done it until I found this site a few months ago (I'm a newbie) - and I think it's so much better than having BORING cake all by itself. And so many more compliments, too. "What IS that in the middle of your cake"? "MMMMMMMMM". LOL

More comments on the filling for the pistachio cake are appreciated. I'm going to throw this thing together later today.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 9

I don't know about cake flavors, but my favorite ice cream is pistacio with almonds, and it is even better with chocolate swirled into it, so the three flavors might very well work in a cake too.

Let us know how it turns out, I'd like to try that myself sometime. Janice

TERRYHORTON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TERRYHORTON Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 9

how about just putting another pistacio pudding filling in the middle?

mariamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariamom Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 9

I have made the cake extender with pistacho and everyone really loved it. I made a cupcake cake, so no filling, but my frosting has almond oil in it and it went really good. It is definitely a favorite at my house.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 9

I had a cake once that had pistachio, and the filling though it seemed unusual at the time, was very good...pineapple. Go figure, but it was yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%