Infuriating!!!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 22 Sep 2006 , 12:09am by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 17

I am so steaming mad icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif !!!!! Yesterday my computer was acting weird. It asked me to choose a profile to start up my ISP! It asked me that when I clicked on a link to take me to a forum topic here on CC! All my passwords and what not are gone from all the sites I visit to pay my bills!!! NOW I just discovered all of my favorites are GONE!!!!! icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_evil.gif I had about a BILLION saved sites including a lot from CC members! British and Australian sites!!!!! I'm so mad! Do you know how long it took me to create that list of favorites???????? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

I would like to try and recover my, formerly known as "Cake Stuff" folder in my favorites. Are there any must have sites that I may have already had or hadn't found yet that ya'll can let me know about??????? I look to these sites for inspiration.....like Marmalade Cake Co by antonia74, Tuggy's website...

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm feeling lost over here!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Amy

16 replies
Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 17

So sorry Amy, icon_sad.gif ... no fav's to share but i wanted to hopefully bring some cheer your way. Just think of your empty fav's as a blank canvas, that you get to redesign. There really are so many new members as well as established, who have great talent. I'm sure you won't have a problem finding new fav's.

Gloria I

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 17

I've started a list on my webpage if you want to take a look:
http://home.comcast.net/~maryannscakes/my_favorite_baker_websites.htm

cakemommy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 17

HOLY COW!!! icon_surprised.gif That's a lot!!! I think I had maybe 60 sites!!!

I like the clean canvas idea! I have been meaning to weed out some of the sites that are no longer and those that just don't interest me anymore!!!!!! There were some really great ones people posted in the forums here that I don't remember!!! icon_cry.gif

Amy

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 17

Will a system restore help you? I'm not sure if you can get favorites back or your history but it's worth a try.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 17

Mary_Ann, Thanks for the list on your webpage! Lots of good stuff!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 17

What kind of computer do you have?

I think Gateway has a feature that will allow you to reset a clock to a time BEFORE this happened and it will restore your machine to that point.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 17

try looking up something about restoring preferences. There may be a file hidden somewhere with all your saved sites that you can "reload" into your browser.

I don't know details, but it's possible on a mac sometimes.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 17

Windows XP has a system restore you can try. Not sure if it'll work but worth a shot. HOpe you get it all back.. I'd cry if i lost my favorites icon_sad.gif(

cakemommy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 17

These are all great suggestions. I have an HP and this pc does allow the user to go back to a time before the "ordeal"! My hubby is out on the ship for a month right now so I'll wait for him to call me. He should call today and I'll give these options a try!

This was, reluctantly, a good way to weed out all the sites that I don't visit anymore!!!

I must say, ya'll are pretty computer savvy! I am to some extent except when it comes to something like this!!! icon_cry.gif

If and when I get them back I'll share the ones that sent me into a panic right back in this topic!!!!

You all are wonderful thank you so much for understanding!

Amy

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 17

I had to do a system restore in order to retrieve something else the other day, that is a wonderful asset on any computer.

My problem is that I got a new computer recently and have yet to figure out a way to get faves from the old one to the new one, so mine are lost too!

Making a new list is kinda fun though, like you said, cakemommy, there were a lot I'd never gone back to once they were listed. Janice

cakemommy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 17

Absolutely!! Who'da thought cakes would make us become one with our computer! Like I said, I can't wait 'till nap time!!!!!!! I'm gonna have fun checking out all the new sites. I'm so glad not all is lost!!!!!! I'm sure I'm going to find some that I have never seen!!!

Amy

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 17

I can empathize with you; it happened to me. I have since started saving my favorites to a disc as well as my favorites. It was a hard lesson learned, but now that I have a back up I guess in a way I'm better off. I hope your dh can help you when he calls. Good luck!

cakemommy Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:48pm
post #14 of 17

Thank you!! I get frustrated very easily when I can't figure something out!!!

Amy

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks mary-ann for all that info! I added it to my favs.(hope I don't lose it)! I have done that before.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:58pm
post #16 of 17

I was also going to suggest a system restore (menu, accessories, system tools and them system restore to an earlier date)

Also, if you use Yahoo to store your favorites, it should still be stored when you log back in under "bookmarks"

icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 12:09am
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%