Different Cupcakes

Decorating By Briarview Updated 18 Jan 2007 , 6:14pm by Briarview

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 6:55am
post #1 of 23

I have a wedding to do and the bride wants cupcakes. Where can I obtain the cooking cup for these different cupcakes. This is the first time I have done a cupcake wedding cake so any advice would be much appreciated. How much would you charge? Thanks
LL

22 replies
KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:17am
post #2 of 23

Sorry that I can't help, but here's a bump for you.

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 9:48am
post #3 of 23

I believe that it's the mini wondermold pan. Those are so pretty! I love them!!

Here is the link to the pan:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30BA99-475A-BAC0-521B1E2A44D9D0E7&fid=586A9AFC-475A-BAC0-51FEC2849F2F1F76

~Denise

lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 23

i could be wrong.... but i think they were made in a heating core, i saw this same shape (it showed them using a heating core) in a book as i was looking through bppks at the book store. the heating core would give it the long look and slightly flared out look

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 23

I don't think it is the mini-wonder mold. If my memory serves me correctly, the mini-wonder mold serves up to 4 people. It is not an individual serving (especially for what you are planning on doing). The heating core sounds more like it.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 23

It is a european cake pans. I have seen it in a mag from UK. Sorry can't help you here.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 23

It looks like a pop-over pan. I have one that is just that shape.

Briarview Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 23

Thank you all for your help. Sabaru I did see a pan called a popover pan on my search on the net but it did not say how wide and high each one was. After a lot of searching I found they are called "Darioles" or "Babas pans" and the site I found was in France. Now I know the name perhaps someone could tell me if they are sold in the US as it is more expensive to get them from the UK, and don't know about France! You never know I might get them here but it is just to ask the right people.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:19am
post #9 of 23
Briarview Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:31am
post #10 of 23

Thanks BlakesCakes. Looks what I could use instead of. The only problem is as they are castiron they would weigh very heavy and as I would want two the shipping would kill it. Perhaps I can get muffin tins here with the slopping sides. Thanks, will keep them in mind.

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 23

You might want to try the Wilton mini dome pan - it might work for you. While 2 pans would only make a few at a time, it might be worth it because of the weight of the pan and it is easier to find.

I wouldn't recommend a heating core because the shape comes out quite fluted at the top sometimes. Plus, they have a squared off- flat bottom. So it wouldn't give you that lovely rounded shape on the top.

One more suggestion - try Williams-Sonoma for your babas pan. You never know!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 23

http://www.pastryitems.com/prod04.htm

babas molds are easy to find here in the US. check out the above link.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 23

The link posted by jmt1714 looks the closest to me. I think these are so lovely - I may order the nonstick ones and give it a try.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:20pm
post #14 of 23

I bet you could find coffee cups that would work. I've seen cups with that shape. You might even find some at a discount or dollar store that would give you that shap and be a lot cheaper. Just a thought....

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 23

Briarview: Did you ever find the pans for this wedding? I JUST bought the Wilton "King Size Muffin Pan: (see link) and they look a lot like the ones you mention.
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2228950D-423B-522D-F79B1239505A8048&fid=2228951C-423B-522D-F2D3E5FC6F4F05BA

I'm wondering what cool and marvellous cupcakes I can make with this pan!

Briarview Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:55am
post #16 of 23

missyv110, I did get the dariole pans and yes I have made the cake. Look in my photos or my website and you will see it. I have just made a second one today and delivered it unassembled. The bride is going to assemble it tomorrow for her wedding. This time it was pale blue cupcakes. I will post a picture when she emails me with it.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 7:41am
post #17 of 23

I also saw this King Size Muffin Pans by Wilton at my local Michael's and I believe they look like it, (that is my next purchase!!) They were around $7 with tax. HTH.

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 10:41am
post #18 of 23

Briarview, I just looked at the pic and it looks great! Such a different effect with those colours! Just wondering where you ended up getting the pan from? I am in the land of Oz and can't go to all those great US stores people have been seeing them in!!!!! Thanks icon_smile.gif

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 10:49am
post #19 of 23

I found these over here -- they are called a "dariole mold" -- I'm sure if Oz has them that the US would more than likely have them too.

HTH

-- Fi

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 1:12pm
post #20 of 23

Briarview:

Fantastic results, that blue is beautiful, it's one of the nicest, most original displays I've seen. Awesome. I spent a looong time on your website, gorgeous cakes.

Looking forward to the new picture when you post it, thanks for responding.

In Canada, the Wilton King Size muffin pan is around $16 Cdn.

Maureen

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 4:04pm
post #21 of 23

Briarview - fabulous job! Briarview's search for the perfect mold for those beauties really got me going, too, as I think they are absolutely beautiful. I finally found some dariole molds the size I wanted, but I had to order them from England icon_cry.gif . I had good results using a popover pan like
http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/product.aspx?scommand=search&search=popover%2bpan&item=91241
but the proportions weren't quite as graceful as the dariole molds. The popover pans produce a cupcake that is about 2 inches in diameter at the bottom (which is actually the top of the decorated cupcake) by 2 1/2 inched at the top (bottom of the finished cupcake) and about 2 1/2 inches tall. I filled the cups about 2/3 full of bater and trimmed the domes off. The dariole molds I have are 4oz size, and are about 1 1/2" at the small end, 2 1/8 inches at the widest part and 2 1/2 inches tall - just a wee bit more tapered than the popover pan, but enough to make a visual difference. The new Wilton king size muffin cups are huge in comparison - probably at least 4 regular cupcakes in size. They are about 2 1/4 at the smallest part, 3 1/2 at the widest part, and 3 1/4 inches tall - much larger and not as tapered. I found dariole molds here in the US and called several vendors and asked them to measure for me. I'm sure they were wondering about the ditzy old woman wanting exact measurements icon_lol.gif The ones I called were all more cylindrical - less tapered - than the ones I ordered.

*edited cuz I'm stoopid!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 4:06pm
post #22 of 23

Edited because I figured out how how to edit the above post for a misspelled name. Now, how do you delete icon_lol.gif ..... oh- I see there at the very bottom thumbs_up.gif

Briarview Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:14pm
post #23 of 23

Jessica176 On the dariole molds it is written
"d.line BAKEWARE" I purchased mine in NZ. They were $6NZ each so are quite expensive but they are worth it as I have used them twice for cakes and once for jellied moulds for salads and know I will use them again. I could get them for you as you are in Oz so just pm me. Cheers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%