Anyone Else Do This???

Decorating By rlsaxe Updated 24 Jul 2007 , 12:46pm by rlsaxe

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 6

So, the last cake I made (my bridal shower one, which I just made this past weekend)......I knew ahead of time that I wanted to do a bridal dress draped across the cake.....I knew I wanted shoes, a necklace, and bouquet....BUT I didn't plan colors or what the base of the cake would look like.

This is something that i find myself doing a lot: which is starting the decorating process with only a general idea of what I want to do....not necessarily an exact plan to include colors, design, etc...

Sometimes it comes out exactly how I wanted...and sometimes I feel it's not exactly what I was going for.

For instance, my bridal cake....
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=813193
I first started making the base cake color to match the bridesmaids dress color (which is tan)....but then after getting the cake covered in that color....it just looked so bland and icky. So, I adapted and added a quilt-like pattern to the cake surface. It turned out ok...but I was really going for an elegant look. I'm happy with the cake....and everyone at the shower absolutely loved it.......BUT I was wondering if any of YOU CC'ers also go about decorating without an exact plan.
Or do most of you draw it all out first?

Just curious!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 6

I really only do wedding cakes, (well 98% of the time), so yes, they're all drawn out--in color.

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 6

Okay, I'm anal retentive! I actually get colored markers....draw out my design that is floating in my head (sometimes I draw it out three or four times), then, when I have the drawing just right...I color it in with my markers in the colors I'm planning, just to see if it's going to 'produce' the effect I want..and to get an idea if it's going to work...I've done this with two cakes 'floating' in my head that I want to enter into the Wilton Castle Cake contest (I must confess, it will have to wait until after my DD wedding August 4th, but I can't WAIT to bring these cakes to fruition!).

rlsaxe Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 6

well, I guess if you're doing wedding cakes, you REALLY have to know the exact design and colors ahead of time. Makes sense. Doing a wedding cake scares me.....maybe it's those bridezillas! Or having to get corners and surfaces so perfectly smooth!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:18am
post #5 of 6

Becky, your cake is amazing. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm still at the imitating phase of cake decorating - so I think your ability to adapt the design as you go along is incredible. thumbs_up.gif

(And yeah, wedding cakes are in a category by themselves.)

rlsaxe Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 6

thanks Jan......and dang....it's been a long time since I've seen you on here! (most likely because I've been away for a while).

I'm with you.....still imitating great ideas I see other places (mostly here). I'm still at the point where I need to focus on the decorating so much that I don't think I am ready yet to spend extra time on the planning and design.
besides.....there are so many cakes on here worthy to be imitated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%