Covering A Cake Board With Fondant

Decorating By Christy1911 Updated 17 Sep 2006 , 11:31am by bonniesido

Christy1911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy1911 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 8:53am
post #1 of 8

If I were to cover a cake board with fondant and my cake was iced in buttercream and not covered with fondant would the buttercream create a grease on fondant? Thanks

7 replies
peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 9:24am
post #2 of 8

I have decorated a cake in buttercream on a fondant covered board and did not have a problem with grease on the fondant. I did put the cake on a foamcore board before putting it on the fondant covered board.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 8

A piece of baking paper would also work instead of the board.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 8

i put my cake straight onto the condant, cover in buttercream and then cover in fondant...no problems so far

boring Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 1:48am
post #5 of 8

Cake Fairy18
Do you freeze the buttercream first?

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 1:55am
post #6 of 8

I did that recently and put the cake directly on the fondant and had no problem with the buttercream. I let my fondant dry overnight first, so maybe that helped?

I recently learned a trick about working with fondant you might find helpful. Instead of using powdered sugar to keep it from sticking when you roll it out, I used shortening. Worked great. I greased the board I was going to use and rolled it out directly on the board. Then I glued another board underneath just for stability.

Good luck!

boring Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 10:36am
post #7 of 8

I guess your shortening is better than what we can get here.

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 11:31am
post #8 of 8

I always use a dab of Crisco shortening to roll out my fondant. I also sprinkle on a touch of cornstarch. A lot of the pros recommend this method. It works great! I too love putting fondant on my cake boards and I have never had a problem with a grease stain from buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%