How Soon Should You Bake The Cake Before Decorating It?

Decorating By beverlyanne Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 12:54pm by jmt1714

beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:28am
post #1 of 9

I'm curious as to how far in advance of decorating a cake can you bake the cake and still have the cake taste reasonably good. And, how far in advance can the cake be decorated before the event?

8 replies
angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:36am
post #2 of 9

I usually do it the night before because I'm a procrastinator! And I'm always rushing in the end! I think most people bake up to 2-3 days before and frost maybe 1-2 days ? Once you frost it, it should stay fresher and seal in the freshness.

laneym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneym Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:40am
post #3 of 9

I did a wedding cake 2 weeks ago for a Friday night. I baked them all on Wednesday and frosted and decorated them late Thursday night and delivered it on Friday morning. The bride told me it was delicious.

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:41am
post #4 of 9

I always try to bake as close to the due date a possible, however, if you need to bake ahead of time, bake 3-4 days in advance, wrap and freeze for a short time. I don't see the harm in decorating the day before or two days before if the decorating detail is time consuming.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:41am
post #5 of 9

It depends on whether you are making a box or scratch cake. Box cakes have chemicals that help preserve their freshness. A box cake can be tasty for up to a week after baking. I would not leave a scratch cake for more than 3-4 days. Frosting a cake or wrapping it in fondant will seal in some of the freshness. I try to bake (or un-freeze) 1-2 days before delivery so people get as fresh a product as possible-- you never know if your customer will have leftovers and how long they will keep them around! icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:45am
post #6 of 9

Many people have different schedules for dealing with this. No particular way is the only right way. Do whatever works for you.

I bake the day before, and ice/decorate the cake within 24 hours. I never refrigerate or freeze my cakes. My clients pick up the cakes within a few hours of when I finish.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:47am
post #7 of 9

I use doctored mixes. If a cake is due on Saturday, I bake Thursday and freeze, then decorate on Friday. If I know I have something else to do on Thursday, I will bake Wednesday. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:38am
post #8 of 9

My normal schedule is bake/ice/decorate on Thurs for a Sat wedding. howver, I have baked/iced/decorated as early as Tuesday .... and rec'd comments from wedding guests on how it "....was the best tasting cake" they'd ever had!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 9

I try to time it so the cake purposely sits for at least a few hours after I stack and crumb coat so that it settles.

I also want it to sit for at least a few hours (if not overnight) prior to delivery, just so I know everything is set and secured.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%