My Biggest Cake Disaster...

Decorating By DanielleRG Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 2:33pm by goal4me

DanielleRG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleRG Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:08am
post #1 of 12

This is me and my sister's first try at a topsy turvy fondant covered cake. We used fake flowers and ribbon as the decorations. The cake drooped and the fondant tore so we had to patch. Luckily it was for my mom and she knew it was our first attempt. Of course she lied and said it was great. I must admit I have not been brave enough to try a fondant cake again. icon_sad.gif
LL

11 replies
caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:00am
post #2 of 12

I really like the color, though.

Topsy turvy cakes really intimidate me... and I still think yours is pretty, even if it didn't come out the way you planned.

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 4:56am
post #3 of 12

I'm to afraid to try one! icon_sad.gif Keep trying, don't give up! There's nothing like a mother's love!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 5:08am
post #4 of 12

The way to look at it is... you have now done it and know what way to go next time and the more you do the better you will get...

I personally think you did a great job for your first attempt love the colour and the layout itself well done dont give up give it another go you will surprise yourself i am sure.

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 12

If you hold your head like this :::::tipping head to right:::::: it's straight!! icon_surprised.gif REally though its a pretty cake. Love the colors. Very girly colors. I am glad Mom liked it. Mine would have too. Mommies are like that. Anything our babies make we love. icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 12

What sort of cake did you make it out of? You need to make sure you use a rather sturdy cake like a pound cake when you are carving at your tiers. If you used a regular mix that could be 1/2 the problem right there. Hmmm.. what type of fondant did you use? Which method of construction did you use? Did you carve into the lower tier or is it just stacked?

It's not a bad looking cake.. just bunpy.. but if this is your first attempts at fondant.. you are on the right track. To tackle fondant AND a topsy turvy cake all in one?? You are one brave girl! thumbs_up.gif

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 12

You are definetly very brave!! I can do fondant but the topsy cake??? not brave enough yet. Keep on trying!!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 12

Considering it's your first attempt at fondant and the topsy turvy I think it looks pretty good. It's real pretty. This is why we hear the same thing over and over, practice practice practice! Keep practicing, you'd get it. I'm working my way up to a fondant covered cake by using it on cookies first. Not quite ready to go for the cake yet.

Try a sturdier cake and keep practicing. And have fun!

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 12

Hey, I commend you for trying. My first shot at fondant was not my best cake either. Quite frankly, I try very hard not use it but sometimes a cake calls for fondant. I learned a neat trick in rolling it out and lifting. My instructor told me to use a piece of vinyl, tape it down to the counter or table lighty dust with confect. sugar and roll out the fondant to desired shape and size. Then all you have to do is lift up the vinyl and lay over your cake. It peels off very easily and ta da you've got the fondant on the cake without tearing. It really works just used this method Saturday for my daughters high school grad. cake. Don't give up keep trying and by the way your cake is beautiful. thumbs_up.gif

DanielleRG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleRG Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 12

If I remember correctly I just used a white cake mix out of a box. The fondant was Wilton's brand that I picked up at walmart. I cut a space in the bottom cake so the top cake could fit down in. I saw someone do that to a cake on one of the cake challenges on the food network or I saw it online...I can't remember.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I guess I will have to try-try again.

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 12

Buttercream and I are best friends.... I think if I used fondant it would just make buttercream green with envy then I wouldn't be able to get any cakes done.

You are brave to do your first fondant cake.... it looks good for a first try. (and mine are always much much worse.)

I think next month I will try my hand at fondant.......... we will see

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 12

I understand your pain in recalling first attmepts at fondant also...

One-two problems I had that may be similar to what caused the bumpiness

1. best to have a cake that is more the texture of poundcake or add a cake extender recipe that has sourcream in it or a firm cake like homemade carrotcake.

2. Roll your fondant out to meet the directions on the side of the fondant box...don't leave it to thick or the weight from the fondant can be a problem....and don't add a second layer of fondant to try to fix a bumpy look like you have (I have) and the poor sucker will collapse in about an hour and a half.

3. The undercoat of butterrcream should not be thick. You can put some piping gel just around the base of the layers if the buttercream has crusted.

4. Use fondant smoothers.

5. If you can give yourself time between the baking, crumbcoat and fondant application IE bake 1 day, fill and crumbcoat the next, then fondant the day after that...the cake has time to settle a bit and the filling and frosting also....

Love the colors and theme you had and the love and interest in figuring hummmm how can this work out better!?!?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%